Svea 1915 burner DOH! moment

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by hikerduane, Nov 13, 2015.

1. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

These burners from what I've read here, came on older Homestrand Mariner stoves, set up to burn denatured alcohol. I located a single burner a few years ago, minus the two burner caps and has since been either sitting on a shelf or recently relocated to one of my many parts bins, thanks to CCS influences. I got motivated today on the first day of a three day weekend to go mess with it, first having to take the burner off one of my Optimus 45's and clean up the riser, then place a new washer on the burner threads. First mistake, started putting the old burner back on, so started over again. Got the 1915 burner on, tightened down, fueled up with kero, primed and waited. Fired the stove up after letting the prime burn out, lots of yellow flame, no fireball though. Retighten the burner, tighten the packing nut on the spindle, tighten the burner some more. Shut it down. Tried a different set of silent caps, no luck, still lots of yellow. Tore the burner off and put the original burner back on, disappointed, thinking what's wrong. Go play with another stove, a Svea 105. Then DOH!!! The 1915's used alcohol, I wonder? DOH! Tried a kero pricker in the nipple of the 1915's burner, it was swimming in it. So.....that must be the issue with all the yellow flame, had a alcohol nipple in it. Trying to get another 45 now, so will wait since I've made the biggest move, getting the 1915 working.
    Duane

2. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Yep, all you need is the Kero jet and needle and you are off to the races.

Sam

3. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Hi Sam,
    I'll have to take the nipple out and see how the innards compare to parts I have for 111's, 123's etc.
    Duane

4. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

5. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Thank you Sam, have a good morning.
    Duane

6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Duane,

You are going to LOVE that SVEA 1915 burner!! It's a keeper, for sure!! Have fun, and I look forward to seeing it in action, when you're all finished with your retrofit!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

7. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Doc, it better work great, going off of your past praise of the burner. Waiting for the dust to settle on where I get a 45 or similar stove to mount it on. Out playing with a new lantern this afternoon, a Coleman LZ427 with that curved air tube. Cool.
    Duane

8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Evening, Duane,

I might have an old Optimus 45 fuel tank I can send you. I have to look to make sure I haven't already passed it along. But, give me a few days, and I'll get back to you. I'm certain that you will LOVE your M1915 burner, as long as it's nice and clean on the inside. If it needs some attention, go for it, as it will be more than worth your efforts!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

9. magikbus

Duane, the only experience I have with Euro stoves on alcohol is the #209 burner on a #45 stove. They burn really well.
    Stan

10. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Thank you for the offer Doc, I have a couple leads now, waiting for things to develop.
    I have three 45's now, a small diameter riser, a large diameter riser, and a 45A which has the alky burner. It came in a Sea Swing which I can't use as it did not come with the mounting parts to put in a boat. I don't have a boat. :)
    I just need a 45 tank with most parts or similar to put the 1915 burner on, no burner needed.
    Duane

11. dday

dday Subscriber

HI Duane, I'll send you some info via CCF!

12. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Thank you Dan, only if you can spare it.
    Duane

13. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I think instead of trying to get a fount for these burners, since I have a good line on a second 1915 now, I'm shooting for a Homestrand Mariner case to put them in. I don't have a fancy two burner stove unless a Punker can be called fancy. :)
    Duane

14. magikbus

The Punker's pretty, and it burns well, except in a wind but then it's not really meant to be outside in the wind, just inside in a boat. At least the ones with the pot rails are.
    Stan