Svea komfur

Discussion in 'Svea Komfurer - all models' started by SvenF, Oct 9, 2015.

1. SvenF

Svea komfur 3.JPG

I bought this Svea stove in a second hand shop many years ago.

But the stove leaked at the burner gaskets and it couldn't hold the pressure, so never used it. I had almost decided to throw the stove away, but then I found out that spare parts are still available from internet stores. (I also recently found the Classic Campstoves site, and this is actually my first posting:content:).

I fitted new gaskets for the burner and tank lid, a new NRV and pump leather, and a new jet. Now the stove runs like new.

The stove has the text "Carl Petersen Sølvtorvet" on its enamelled top plate. Carl Petersen was a large hardware store in Copenhagen; it sold kitchen utensils and cookware and apparently had its own brand of kerosene stoves. Sølvtorvet is a square in Copenhagen.

The benefits of the design is the low center of gravity and the broad base that prevents the stove from tipping when you place a heavy pot on it. Also, when a pot boils over, the spilled contents doesn't soil the tank.

Some posts in this forum suggest that this stove was made for the Danish market, and I believe they are right. When I was a boy in the 1950's many people lived in apartments and had small gardens outside the cities. Their sheds and cottages had no electricity or sewage in those days, so they had to make do with kerosene stoves and lamps, and a loo in the backyard. This Svea stove and the similar Ginge stove were very common, as far as I remember.

My grandparents had a small summer cottage with two stoves like this. The hissing of this stove and the smell of kerosene and coffee sends me right back in time to grandma's kitchen in the little red cottage ...

Svea komfur 1.JPG Svea komfur 2.JPG Svea komfur 4.JPG

2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Sven, welcome to CCS. What a great first post! A lovely stove, nice photograghs and really interesting history.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

3. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

Wow, that's a really nice first post. Welcome!

"The hissing of this stove and the smell of kerosene and coffee sends me right back in time to grandma's kitchen in the little red cottage ..."

Reading that made me remember my grandmother and the smell of her cooking corn fritters and the smell of her root cellar. It's wonderful how a thought or a smell can take you back to your youth and not only remember but to "feel" things as if they happened yesterday.

Ben

4. Madsth Denmark

Hi Sven,

Do you have a link for the spare parts you bought? I have the exact same stove :)

Best regards/

Mads

5. Tom Pedersen

Tom Pedersen Denmark Subscriber

@SvenF

Hello Sven

A beautiful old stove.
    I have the same model, but without the name.

Tom

6. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, @Madsth see the link to “ Fettlebox” on right hand side of this page for stove spares.

SvenF has not visited the CCS Site for several years.

Best Regards,
    Keophile.