SVEA No.14

Discussion in 'Svea No:14' started by David Shouksmith, Mar 13, 2008.

1. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

This arrived yesterday:-

1355011424-150308_022.jpg

SVEA No.14 - officially "The best stove in the world" - it must be because it says so on the tank! (I've got it; you haven't - get used to it... ;) :lol: )

It called to me and I heard it all the way from Canada. I was intrigued by the unusual igniter on the spirit cup and also the feet, which I thought looked 'cute' (as my daughter would say - must be going soft in my old age... :roll: ) Anyway, this is my first stove with an external NRV - how does that work, I wonder... :-k

It appears in the SVEA catalogue No. 26 from around 1915
    1210141762-5.jpg

It's missing a burner cap which isn't the usual design -I think it's Part No. 828 or 829.
    1210141890-14.jpg

Ah, yes - Part No. 828 - Lock till tystbrannare No 812 - 0.25 Kr. Anyone got a spare lying around or can point me in the direction of a supplier?
    1210141903-15.jpg

It's got a figure '7' on the underside of the tank. I presume that's a machine number. Can anyone give me an idea of the years of production of these stoves?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
  2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
  3. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

That looks a nice old stove David, gentle bit of cleaning and it would look lovely.

As for the burner cap . . . . you are joking, right :roll: ;)

4. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Moderator SotM Winner

Well, it works more or less as usual.
    From the bottom of the pump tube there is a small tubing soldered where the NRV normally sits.
    The other end of that tubing is lead outside and soldered at the side of the tank, just under the external "NRV-nut".
    It all look pretty familiar if you remove the nut; a spring with a seal inside the dome of the nut, and a seat which in this case is part of the fixed tubing where it enters this arrangement.
    Just beside where the tubing is coming out from the inside of the tank, there is a small hole, or two, which allows the pumped air to enter and pressurize the tank when the seal is lifted from it's seat.

Not so easy to explain...Sorry if it's confusing. :oops:

But I promise you that it will all be very clear as soon as you unscrew the little nut.

CC

5. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

I have the same stove, David. When you find a burner cap, let me know where you got it!
    The burner assembly is interesting overall. I did jury-rig a burner cap and got it burning once.

6. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Great looking stove, David.
    Get the vinegar out!! :D :D :D