Svea No.16 - burner challenges

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by A A C, Nov 24, 2021.

1. A A C

A A C Norway SotM Winner Subscriber

Found what looked like a complete Svea No.16 .
    0BC1D971-4884-4D16-812E-4BB521796015.jpeg The stove as found . Note Optimus outer burner cap.
    5B6DA32D-96A8-476D-A323-383B960FA449.jpeg Unfortunately issues cropped up right away . The pump housing was not moving and on applying ‘reasonable force’ this heap of corrosion which was the distal end of the pump rod . This cleaned up ok, had a replacement rod, the stove having an external NRV was in this case a blessing.
    818202BC-66A6-42C5-968C-B2686E6187DB.jpeg 8947C689-4436-40C8-B483-DF56370616E1.jpeg This is the Svea marked burner . Note the part reducing the aperture . I have never seen this before . Is it a feature of Svea burners ? Is it some sort of modification ? Can it contribute to the inefficient flame function described later ? Made removing the jet a bit of a pain .
    CF19DBE8-E9FF-4A0A-BFD8-20F59AE5951C.jpeg I was about to heat up the burner to remove carbon when I noticed what I thought was cobwebs in the tubes . I bit of bent wire and tweezers revealed this heap. Looks like cloth or leather . Bizarre to say the least .
    2F6849EB-1E52-4E42-AD20-2DE3EBDAE3D9.jpeg

After cleaning and reassembly the stove fired up but it is running poorly . Yellow sooty flame . The outer cap is Optimus marked , the inner looks pretty generic . I have changed the jet which helped a little . I cant find much information on Svea silent burners. Are the caps of a special pattern ? Any advice , tips links will be very gratefully received .

One last thing . The filler cap is marked Svea on one side and F & M on the other . Anyone know what that stands for ? I reckon it doesn’t stand for «Mor och Far»
    20342BD6-6B57-47D5-B8CC-A17801E64044.jpeg
    Cheers Alastair

2. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

Hei Alastair,

F&M is "Fog og Mørup", the main Svea outlet in Denmark. Having that on the filler cap is a nice touch, an additional piece of provenance.

Now as for sorting out the burner, the best solution would be to find an appropriate No.1 type roarer burner since that is what a Svea No.16 should have had originally (c/f).

Hilsener,
    Ian:thumbup:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  3. A A C

Thanks for your reply . That is really interesting that the F&M was the main Danish retailer . Makes the stove a bit more special .
    Yes it is so seldom I find stoves with the original burner . Almost every stove I buy has a replacement silent burner fitted . In this case the burner is a Svea so may well have been replaced by Messrs Fog og Mørup .
    I think the silent burner on this catalogue page is the one I have. The outer cap seems to have a very low profile . Is this the case or is it artistic license it being an illustration ? The dark secrets of the different types of burner caps are beyond my present level of knowledge . Would the higher dome of the cap I have on this stove cause the inefficient combustion ..?
    I think my chances of finding a decent Svea roarer may be slim

upload_2021-11-24_20-16-25.jpeg

4. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen United States Subscriber

That restrictor in the burner tube could be an attempt to make it run on Meth/Alcohol - combined with a larger jet.
    It can be gently removed with a bit of pressure and some penetrating oil.

5. A A C

Thanks Harder .
    This sounds very plausible . I mentioned I changed the jet as I thought it was worn . The jet diameter seemed very large when I checked it with a pricker . Ill get some penetrating oil on it right away .

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  6. Harder D. Soerensen

I would either try the large jet with the restrictor in place on Alcohol - Or remove the restrictor and change jet to one with a smaller aperture, and then run it on kero.
    A small jet in combination with the restrictor will most likely not give you a clean blue flame

7. A A C

Harder . That is exactly the problem I have . I have already changed the jet so I will try to remove the restrictor . I have no experience of other fuels than paraffin / kero so I think I will stick with that
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge Cheers Alastair

8. Harder D. Soerensen

It worked great on my Svea Simplex which had the same restrictor/Large jet Combo.

9. A A C

Ill work on it tomorrow and post results:thumbup:

10. Scrambler

Scrambler Australia Subscriber

Does the pump corrosion add weight to the alcohol theory?

11. A A C

I don’t know . However. The burner was extremely difficult to remove due to corrosion as well . Could well be due to use of fuel other than kero but I dont know the mechanism for this type of corrosion .

12. A A C

@Harder D. Soerensen @Scrambler
    This is getting interesting . Is it a possibility the material I found packed into the burner tubes was put in there intentionally as a form of restrictor ? Like mesh in a fount ? Or am I way off course ?

13. A A C

After following Harder’s advice about penetrating oil the restrictor came out after a gentle tap or three . As you can see it a homemade modification . Hacksaw marks etc
    110A618B-4B6C-459E-9B67-5EA562ADDC45.jpeg 632423D8-B0FE-4732-853F-2B341CB0DA13.jpeg

14. Scrambler

Scrambler Australia Subscriber

@A A C

I don't have any answers. Only questions!

15. Harder D. Soerensen

The restrictor looks exactly like what I found in my SIMPLEX —> Factory made.
    My silent burner had also a lot of stuffing which tells me, that it was put there for a reason.

16. A A C

Thanks for your help . I have to repair a very slight leak at the fount . There is some old solder there . Ill get that done then reassemble and see if it runs cleaner in the unrestricted modus .

17. A A C

Complete success ! !
    Stove running really nicely . Beautiful blue flame ,clean as a whistle . Tusind tak Harder. I would never have thought my way out of this without your knowledge .
    E7BB42B5-E971-4618-B1CF-E9E01F983F62.jpeg CA919ABC-1FE0-4037-B5FC-806921C629FC.jpeg
    I think we have saved this stove as the external NRV tube was very close to the corrosion .
    Cheers (a very pleased) Alastair

18. Harder D. Soerensen

Well done - Anytime ;-)

19. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

Wow - two of the best blue flame shots ever seen!!! What an astounding result.
    Ian:thumbup::thumbup:

20. A A C

Thanks . I was very pleased . I was baffled by the stoves poor performance . Harder had seen this type of configuration before and this was the key to getting the old girl back on song . Interesting with the material in the burner tubes . Maybe a wartime conversion ? Who knows . Was fitting that my stove, originally sold in Denmark by Fog & Mørup, was revived using advice and help from another Dane !
    Cheers Alastair