Svea No 16

Discussion in 'Svea No:16' started by Kathy, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Kathy

Would love to fire this up but the rubber part of the piston, under the fill cap, and probably anywhere else are old and inflexible. Recommendations for replacement parts are welcome! Also, how much play should there be in the connection of the "leather" cup to the piston? On my stove this is quite loose, and I do not see how it could build compression. Also: what is the purpose of the nut on the side of the tank?

1346641777-stove_1.jpg 1346641795-stove_2.jpg 1346641811-stove_3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2016
  2. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

The nut on the side is the access cap for the external non-return valve (NRV), the check valve for the pump, so it can build up pressure in the tank, and NOT have kerosene backing up through the pump.

IIRC, the piston fit on the shaft is a bit loose by one's normal thought, however methinks that is due to the piston shaft acting as a check valve on the intake side of the pump. many stoves have a slight sliding fit on the piston shaft where the piston fits on.

Murph

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Kathy;
    1. How pumps work:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/14026

2. External non-return-valve (NRV):

Have a look at these threads.

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/15377

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/10811

Also, look at the diagrams on page 12 of this 1908 Svea Catalogue and you will see the arrangement:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/8742

3. Replacement seals:

Contact 'Fettlebox' who should be able to sell you some replacement seals, made of modern fuel-resistant, Viton:

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

4. Kathy

This is all very helpful--thank you!

The photo of the non-return valve (NRV) explains some of what I am seeing. I'll put a (GENTLE!) wrench on the nut over the NRV on the Svea 16 to see what I can see, and take more pictures. This time I'll put a ruler in the picture for scale.

I took the stove in to my local REI camping supply store. There's an employee there who is clearly a very experienced adventure camper who had NEVER seen a stove this size. I now have a "date" to bring the Svea back when it's working so that we can fire it up and make tea for the store. Show and tell!

I very much appreciate your help and encouragement.

--Kathy

5. Doug L

Doug L Subscriber

Kathy you may want to order a gasket for the filler cap, some asbestos free washers and a lead washer from Ross. While you wait for those you can soak the leather pump cup in oil I would not remove the external nrv cap till you think you have to.Keep us posted you have a real nice Svea circa 1920s.

1346807912-IMG_7771.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  6. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Kathy, also, make sure all screws etc. work freely and seat properly. On my old 16, the air screw by the fill cap was not making a good seal, so I had to work it in and out slightly until the crud got worked out of the threads. Take the nut off of the NRV and look at the pip, it may need replacing too. Your stove won't work properly if at all if you have air leaks which would then interpret into fuel leaks. If you need a leather pump cup, Sefa makes those. These are really neat stoves with the external NRV.
    Duane

7. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

Around here, neither REI or erehwon have a bleeping clue about anything that isn't a Coleman suitcase or a MSR unit, or similar. :doh: ](*,)

But then again, around here, if you don't come in the door with a flannel shirt, Birkenstocks, and park your Prius with an "Obama 12" bumper sticker on it out front, you may as well not exist. [-( [-( [-( =; :thumbdown:

Murph

8. Kathy

Hi Guys, I contacted A & H a few days ago, got a call back from them. They quoted me a price of $10 labor + cost for parts to send back a working Svea 16. While I love fixing things, $10 for a working stove is a very good deal!

So the work:

STRICT INSTRUCTIONS NOT TO SHINE IT UP. I understand having to clean a bit to remove soot, but I love the patina and would not have this piece look new.

gasket for the filler cap
    asbestos free washers
    lead washer
    pump cup

Going to have to trust their judgement regarding the external nrv cap

please return old parts that are replaced in refit

If a replacement plate or surrounding "funnel" for burner are identified, I am interested in these.