Svea No.16

Discussion in 'Svea No:16' started by A A C, Apr 29, 2021.

1. A A C

A A C Norway Subscriber

23C322FE-61F3-40E4-B74E-1CB6E5F8C498.jpeg
    Found this Svea No 16 . Resplendent with characteristic external NRV . The stove was in fair condition and as the picture shows it fired up without interventions apart from clearing the jet and giving the pump tube the customary shot of Ballistol.
    93C423E1-2D93-45FA-A94A-F59DDBAB435B.jpeg 70290842-7425-48CA-9AA1-4F7237CE6239.jpeg AFC6A9D4-F727-4AFC-A5E3-D93573213259.jpeg
    The nickel-plated finish was pretty corroded and pitted though it was sound otherwise . Needed a good clean. The tank was losing pressure so after replacing the filler cap seal to no avail , I looked hard at the external NRV . I was a bit apprehensive as its the first stove I’ve had with an external NRV . I opened it up and out popped a rusty spring and a very sad looking pip. I replaced both and to my delight this solved the problem . The burner has no markings so I have no idea if it is original . It had no inner/outer cups so they are new .

C06B0522-47DB-4EE0-8DF6-4CD87ACE779F.jpeg D3AB8C4C-457D-4848-B906-2B2CF1A08A3E.jpeg
    The stove now function satisfactorily .
    From what I understand this was probably manufactured in the 30’s. Is this the last model of stove with an external NRV ?
    Any information on a more precise date would be greatly appreciated .
    Cheers Alastair

2. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

Very nice stove you've got there. Thanks for rescuing it and for going to the trouble of getting it up and running again. I don't know when they stopped using the external NRV but I'm sure someone here will. Thanks for sharing your stove with the nice write up.

Ben

3. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

@A A C Hi Alastair, 2nd half of 1930s and definitely one of the very last external-NRV stoves to remain in production - interesting question as to whether these, and the No.15s, made it into the early 1940s or not! The burner can't be original as the No.15 was the silent equivalent and the 16 was the roarer (as evidenced by the roarer version of the dimpled spirit ring in your photos - the silent version of that had an additional vertical spear shaped 'leader' to take the flame up to the top to avoid under-burn). I think nickel plated versions are a lot less common than plain brass.
    Ian:thumbup:

(For comparison see this No.15)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  4. A A C

A A C Norway Subscriber

@z1ulike @igh371 . Thank you very much for the information and words of encouragement . Never thought about the significance of the dimpled spirit ring. The spirit ring also seems shallower than on other stoves. As the silent burner is not original should I replace it with a roarer ? I have one in a drawer . The replaced silent burner is a part of the stove’s history . What is the concensus on this ? A lot of stoves seem to have replacement burners, the majority seem to have been changed from roarer to silent . Is this a sign of everyday domestic use do you think ?
    Cheers Alastair

5. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

@A A C - this is the burner on my similar date Svea No.16:
    DSC03294.JPG DSC03291.JPG

6. A A C

A A C Norway Subscriber

Thanks . Nice looking stove . All the same details as mine , filler cap, pressure screw etc. I am in two minds about changing the burner . If I dont get a period correct Svea burner then it will just be another replacement with less provenance than the present one. The moral dilemmas of pressure stove curating ! ;)

7. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @A A C

It’s a very nice stove!

If it were me, my decision would be that if I didn’t have the correct Svea roarer burner, I’d leave it as it is (the burner as part of the stove’s history).

If I came across the correct burner, I would swap it as the current burner is not Svea.

Edit: Silent burners, being much quieter than the roarer burner, are often seen on stoves used indoors. The roarer is, of course, better for outdoor activities.

Cheers

Tony

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  8. A A C

A A C Norway Subscriber

@Tony Press . Thanks . Your advise is very sound . I think I’ll place any thought of replacing the present burner, on the back burner. Unless I unexpectedly can get a period correct Svea roarer .
    Cheers Alastair