Svea no. 25

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by kats12, Sep 17, 2008.

1. kats12

Hello
    I've got a SVEA No 25 but it is not complete
    Inside is some sort of fuel, but i can't get it work.
    Could anyone be helpfull. Here are the photos

1221895727-spa0315pk0.jpg

and

1221895741-spa0317sy9.jpg

I'd like to know how to clean it up, what fuel to use and how to light it up.

when i pump it it hold, and i can hear fizzing from litte nozzle under the pipes on the burner
    i tried to light it up directly on the nozzle but it wont
    the fule looks to be petroleum.
    maybe it's the wrong fuel

thanks for help in advance

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hello, Kats12,

Welcome to CCS! From where do you come, please? Is this your only stove? How did you find it, and what other stove experience do you have?

This is a classic kerosene-burning stove. It was designed to burn nothing but kerosene, or paraffin, as they call it in the UK. Do NOT use auto gas, or unleaded gas, or Coleman fuel in it, as this is VERY dangerous! You should definitely check for hardness in the fuel cap gasket, and a few other things, before attempting to fire your SVEA up. If this is your first stove, and you have little experience in what we call "fettling", or working on stoves, then you have a few things to learn, none of which are hard, but all of which take some time and effort on your part.

Do a "search" for NRV repair, and see what you find. You will also want to remove the pump rod, and soak the leather pump bucket (cup-shaped thing on the end), in olive oil, or some other good oil, to soften it, so that it will work properly. 24 hours is a good soak. You will also need some cleaning pins, or prickers, as your stove could be a real mess without them! Check the "catalogues and parts" area here at CCS, and see if there is more information on your SVEA 25.

Last, after you have done the safety checks, to make sure your stove is ready to go, you will need to fill the little cup, underneath the burner (called a "spirit cup"), with Methylated Spirits, then light that on fire. Open the air vent on the side of your stove. When your spirit is almost burned out, then you close the air valve, and give the stove a few light pumps. Keep a match ready, in case the flame goes out. If you have done your tune-up work properly, you should be rewarded with a nice, blue flame. Once the burner is good and hot, then you can pump some more, if you need a more powerful flame. If your stove does not light, then you could have a smoky, stinking mess on your hands!!! If that happens, open the air vent, and stand back to wait for the flames to die down!!! By the way, do all this outside, and not in the house!!!!!!!!!

Your stove is missing the pot supports, and also something called a flame ring. You can get hold of Base Camp, in the UK, or A&H, in the US, to see if they have those parts available.

I know that's a lot to read, especially if you are brand new to stoves. Do some homework, here at CCS, and see if things begin to make sense to you. Then, ask more questions, of you need to. Best of luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. kats12

Thanks Doc Mark for advices.
    I'm from Croatia in Europe
    I've bought it this morning on a public market, i thought it was some sort of a laboratory burner. So I googled it and find it out that this is a some sort of a heating lamp. Since this is a first stove on liquid fuel thaht i own, i've decided to register here on this forum so I can learn how to use it properly. Well you mentioned kerosene, I think it is similar to "petrolej" which is used in my country to burn on old lamps like this
    51404755cr4.th.jpg
    I hope i'll manage to clean it up and to use it. It' a very lovely stove, too bad it doesn't have all parts. Maybe I'll find it somewhere...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2015
  4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, Kats12,

Thank you for letting us know something about yourself! It's always nice to meet new "Stovies", as we call ourselves.

I think that, if you check around, the parts you need may well be available. You will find that parts from SVEA, Optimus, Primus, Radius, and some other brands, may well fit all of those brands of stove, in most cases.

As to cleaning your stove up, I'd recommend submerging it in a solution of white vinegar, for about 30 minutes. Then, rinse it off, completely, and soak it in a mixture of citric acid and warm water, for another 30 minutes. After that, use an old toothbrush to scrub down the parts that are still corroded, and then rinse very well in water. When you're all finished, you can use a brass cleaner, "Brasso" is one brand, to polish your stove as shiny as you'd like it to be. Do NOT use steel wool to clean your stove, as this will just put myriad small scratches all over your nice brass stove! A soft cotton rag is best. Cleaning, or not cleaning our stoves is really a matter of personal choice, and we have many members who like to clean and polish, and many others who believe that the corrosion is part of the patina and charm of an older stove.

But, before you try to use your stove, please be sure to do the things I suggested. This will help ensure that your stove is safe to actually use. It's easy to burn yourself, or damage property, by using an older stove before it's been safety-checked, and had it's seals and gaskets replaced.

If you don't plan to use it, and just want to have it as a decoration in your home, then don't worry about the rebuilding, and just clean and polish your SVEA until you are happy with it! Hope that helps, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

5. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi kats12, and welcome to CCS. You have a really nice Svea stove, well worth restoring.

You can buy a set of legs which will fit your stove, for very little money, from Base Camp. See last item on this list:

http://www.base-camp.co.uk/Monitor .htm

Base Camp can also supply a flame ring for your stove.

It will be great to see the stove working again.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  6. kats12

Thanks for the tips and links
    I plan to restore it, and use it occasionaly.
    I have a propane-buthane stove for mountain hiking, but I might consider using this one for my vineyard where I don't have power of any kind except wooden stove, it's a pain in the a** to light it up everytime I'm hungry ;) :p
    This little stove would be perfect!!! :lol:

Oh by the way does anyone knows maybe when it was manufactured, I havent find that info yet, it seems that might be a rare stove, i don't know...
    :-k

7. reggas

That is a nice looking first (real) stove kats12. You may want to slosh around and pour out whatever old fuel is in it and refill with some of your good "petrolej", just in case there is some old junk or water in the tank. I knew less than nothing about that style of kerosene stove before I found this site, but there is a lot of information here, including original directions (which are all basically the same since the fundamentals of stove operation are the same). There are even a few videos on youtube, although many show how not to light a stove -- common sense seems to be more rare than video cameras. If the valve, pump, and lid gasket are good, you should be able to fire up the stove as is (outside), and then keep your eyes open for legs and flame ring to complete the set.

8. marksheean

I got svea 25 too and I'm also from Croatia :)
    I found it at basement some time ago and it is complete as far as I can see. Didn't try to fire it up yet.
    I'm considering of selling it.
    1359847978-DSC01951web-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015