Svea No. 5 (Early)

Discussion in 'Svea No:5' started by kerophile, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, I thought I would share with you some photos I took earlier today of an Early Svea No. 5. I would be interested to hear any suggestions as to year of manufacture.

1223187912-DSCN0039_edited-1.jpg 1223187919-DSCN0040_edited-1.jpg 1223187926-DSCN0041_edited.jpg

I love the engraving on this stove, which is almost as crisp as the day it was done.

1223187932-DSCN0044.jpg 1223187942-DSCN0045_edited-1.jpg 1223187952-DSCN0046_edited-1.jpg

Around the upstand is engraved, rather modestly, " The Best Stove in the World"

Whilst the base of the tank is marked " AKTIEBOL MAX SIEVERT. STOCKHOLM"
    "MADE IN SWEDEN"

Max certainly knew how to make a handsome stove !

Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Lance

Pity about the trivet but as fine a stove as i've ever seen. pert'neer as fine as frogs hair.

lance

3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hello, Kerophile,

What an outstanding example of an early SVEA!!! Very nice photos, too, as always! This lovely stove reminds me of the SVEA for which you so generously donated an outer burner cap. I surely do appreciate your helping me with that one, as I, like you, really enjoy those early SVEAs!! Thanks for sharing with us, George!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

4. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Hi Kerophile

I just love the engraving on the tank!!
    It is obviously a very early version.

Trivet lets it down but looks to be exactly the same as the ones on later stoves. i.e. could you replace it with a better one?

5. Sketch R.I.P.

|imgRemoved| |imgRemoved| |imgRemoved|

Really, that's a pretty stove. I too am entranced by the engraving. Nice stuff.

PS - sorry about the above. My kids and I have been playing silly games this afternoon. I guess it carried over into the forum. 8)

6. Canadian Burner

Boot Tea Full! 8)

Cute

7. barrabruce

Beutifull engraving.
    Very very artfull.
    Gee you have some beuties!!!

:D

8. kerophile

Hi, thanks for the kind comments. I have checked on the CCS catalogues for Svea and my stove looks very like the Svea 5 included in the 1915 catalogue.
    The original pan-holder on my stove would have been a decorative cast-iron model. Alas that is long gone and I am unlikely to source a replacement. I will look amongst my other stoves for an intact Svea steel pan-holder I can steal.
    The air release screw is also a later addition and I will see if I can find a Svea-branded replacement.
    I actually bought the stove for "spares or repair" three years ago. At that time there was more solder than brass on the stove! There was a fair bit of work to get it to its present condition.
    The good news is that the stove now operates well after I replaced all the seals and the NRV washer.
    This stove is probably over 90 years old and could last for another 90 if it is looked after.

Regards,
    Kerophile.

9. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Moderator SotM Winner

Well, they obviously became even more modest at Sievert as time passed by...
    -On my slightly later Svea 5 they have rephrased that statement to just read a humble: "The King of stoves" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice stove and nice pictures, Kerophile!

Cheers,
    Christer

10. sefaudi

Hey Kerophile,

Very nice stove. But the only point I am interested in is just Arabic writings. Interestingly that writing is not Arabic but Turkish.

Maybe some of you know before our hero Ataturk and establishment of Turkish Republic, Turkish people was using Arabic alphabet. Of course language did not change. Since year 1928 Turkis people has been using Latin alphabet and number of people who are able to read this writings are getting decreased. Reading old writings is one of my hobbies.

But another interesting point is that, Arabic is widely used in so many countries i.e. on a stove I wouldn't prefer old Turkish. It is evident that no Arab can understand what i,s written there.

Let me translate what is written in Arabic Alphabe there:

" Look for Svea brand among stoves"

Nice eh ??

Best regards,
    Sefa

11. kerophile

Hi Sefa, This is really interesting and I will print off a copy of your post to keep with the stove.
    Your date for the change of the Turkish alphabet under Ataturk would agree with the date of 1915 or thereabouts from the Svea catalogue for this model of the stove. It is obviously an early model as it has "Patent" engraved on the tank and this tends to indicate early models.
    I recall that the Turkish Ottoman Empire controlled essentially all of what we now consider the Arabic counties of the Middle East up until 1918. These countries were operated as colonies and I guess the only people who could afford pressure stoves would be either Turkish administrators and settlers, and perhaps the educated classes of the local population, who would probably know the Turkish language.

Stoves are trully fascinating and so are the correspondents of CCS. Where else could we find an expert on old Turkish script!

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

12. kerophile

Hi Christer, Thank you for your kind comments.

There is obviously some worthwhile work to be done in recording the script on different models of stoves, and how it changes over time.

The manufacturers claims, style of script, position of script ( top, base, and side of tanks) and languages used all changed with time and reflect trading relationships, competition and the dread hand of the Accountants trying to shave costs.

Thanks again for your input to this thread.
    Regards,
    Kerophile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.