Svea Owners Manuals

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by jagiven, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Thomas

If
    the spring is fine, but the rubber pip is hardened (it is 50 years old, after all), or after this event, the rubber is distorted and won’t form a long term, safe seal, no amount of prodding with a non-pointed wire will fix it.

The fact that a stove produced a three foot flame from the SRV would, in itself, make me service it.

Tony

2. Thomas Karlmann United States

I am unsure the the amount of fuel in the tank -- it COULD have been low. I'm unsure when I last used the pic tool, but the stove was working fine. I have ALWAYS used Coleman fuel.
    I have noticed, however, that when I first got the stove, I could start it by using my hands to warm the tank; after many years this did not seem to work as well -- and I just put fuel in the tank's bowl.
    I have made no adjustments to anything -- other than to use the pic tool on the nozzle.

3. Thomas Karlmann United States

I think we both agree that it needs service.
    Do I just rebuild the filler cap, or do I need to overhaul the valve assembly too?

4. Tony Press

@Thomas Karlmann

If it’s not leaking at the spindle, all I would do in the first instance is change the cap washer and SRV pip, give the nipple and jet a good clean, and flush the generator from the top with carburettor cleaner.

If it runs well after that, all should be fine. If not you may have to change the wick, but don’t go there unless you have to:

Svea 123 Disassembly

Cheers

Tony

5. Thomas Karlmann United States

I viewed somewhere where a guy said you test the filler cap spring by pushing on it. Does that work?
    I agree, though, that the rubber parts need replacing.
    How do I get the screw out? It's one of those 5-sided screws!!!
    One guy who made the 5-sided-wrenches said he's no longer making them. Should I "plier it", or should I file flats on the brass, or what?

6. Tony Press

File your own penta from an Allen key. That way you keep the fitting for next time.

When you are taking it off, count the turns so that you can get it back to the correct tension.

Cheers

Tony

7. Radler

The manufacturer had good reasons, why he made a uncommon pentagon keyhole. He wants to make it impossible to "service" the safety valve by ignorants.

Opening the valve and replacing pip or spring makes it unsafe. A new pip may have a different dimension or be too soft or not fuel-resistant at high temperatures. A spring from just somewhere else may corrode in short time and create a safety problem as well.

If a safety valve is old, this does not mean it is unsafe. If the stove is used correct, the valve may never move in a hole lifetime. There is no wear. If it leaks, you will not be able to start a self-pressurising stove, but no danger. The only danger is a struck valve. Dirt can struck it from outside.

Checking with a wire, if the pip can move freely, is the only "service" a common user can do at a safety valve, or replacing the whole lid.

Radler

8. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

WELCOME Thomas !
    please continue the current line of discussion./repair with our fellow stovies.

I post to touch on somethings from OP... "I was cooking away and the Safety Valve activated and shot a 3 foot flame out! Luckily, the filler cap was pointed away from me! Can someone tell me how to eliminate this problem? (I'm now afraid to use the stove indoors!) "

Re "I'm now afraid to use the stove indoors!"
    The Svea 123 & 123R along w/all similar petrol model stoves are not intended for indoor use. Due to fire hazard gasolines should not be stored or even enter interior living space.
    You want to service petrol stoves, please consider safety first.

The SRV may have been faulty but it may be just as likely it worked perfectly (might still be working?)?

Anytime you are "...cooking away..." you must not over heat any pressure stove and certainly when white gas is the fuel.
    Just in case you were maybe not aware:
    Avoid cast iron fry pans (be aware steel pots & pans might contribute to over heating a stove).
    "Frying" in a wide cast iron or steel pan is far more problematic than cooking sauce in a 7" aluminum pot.
    Pots/pans used on Svea 123 should not be greater than 7 1/2" diameter ideally.
    There must be adequate airflow around the stove. The tank runs hot normally but excess heat can not be trapped or allowed to build up. <-- it seems from your report this did occur?
    It's maybe possible that one of these user tips may help you "...eliminate this problem..."

Fantastic little stoves, with minimal maintenance your 3 can easily out live you. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  9. Tony Press

It’s clear @Radler has a different view than I on this particular SRV. I don’t mind that at all.

If it were mine, and it failed like that in the circumstances and operating conditions described above, I would conclude that it has failed with the probability it will fail again. I note in particular the age of the pip.

There has been much discussion about this style of SRV over a long time, but it’s obvious that many have now been “serviced” properly and are back in operation without incident.

If I were not confident about my ability to service the SRV, I would ask someone who had done this job successfully in the past to do it for me.

Cheers

Tony

10. Thomas Karlmann United States

As best I can recall from 15-30 years ago when the "3' flame" incident occurred, I was not using any large pans at all.
    The thing I DID notice was when I first got the stove, I would crack valve, and, just with my hands, warm the stove enough to get fuel into the bowl to heat up the generator. If not enough, I would crack the valve a bit more (then shut it off) to get the stove going. After few/several years, this did not seem to work as well, and I just poured fuel into the well to heat the stove, then open the valve. I've always used Coleman fuel. Could some higher pressure be caused by some restriction in the valve assembly, and not issues with the filler cap?

Use indoors: What if I used Heat or alcohol to heat the generator up first? I've been watching some videos where the stove starts right up, burning normally, after the alcohol-startup. Thoughts?

11. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi @Thomas Karlmann , in-or outdoors, I always use alcohol to preheat stoves like Primus 71 and similar, SVEA 123 and Optimus8/8R etc. It is clean and easy. I use small plastic empty medicine bottles that just fit into the stove case.

12. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Thomas,
    Doh, stating the obvious: Open tank lid, to equalize pressure, close tank lid, then prime... you've probably already done so but just checking all the boxes here.

***I suggested... suggest continue repair discussion.
    I did insert my comments considering:
    "maybe" the SRV released due to overheat, just as it should and
    a "safety first" reminder.

In your case, indoor use, how you prime it or
    use of pricker will not restore normal safe function / performance.

You want to service the stove, i again advise against use/tests indoors. If you insist on an interior space: review safety tips incl. place suspect stove on a metal tray. Refuel stove outdoors and store fuel outdoors.

The filler cap (/leak) is suspect:
    One easy 1st step, with 3 in a row, establish the stove that works best.
    Re-test that same stove with the other 2 filler caps see if it improves or gets worse.
    You will have quickly learned things re the 3 caps.

If leak is suspect you need not fire it up. To more safely find a leak ...
    add: do this with valve closed.

OK sorry I've gone long (again)
    *** to continue repair discussion, Tony has already advised:
    "If it’s not leaking at the spindle, all I would do in the first instance is change the cap washer and SRV pip, give the nipple and jet a good clean, and flush the generator from the top with carburetor cleaner."
    cc @Tony Press

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  13. Radler

When filled to the top
    your little stove will plop.

14. Thomas Karlmann United States

The instruction sheet I found for the Svea 123 says to fill the stove "2/3" full. I don't think I've always done that -- I THINK I filled it up to just below the filler cap lowest point.
    What harm can this do?? My stove has never fallen over.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  15. Thomas Karlmann United States

To Tony: Thanks for all the info! Where do I get the "3 caps"?

For indoor use, you did not mention/comment on the idea of using alcohol -- poured into the external pan only -- as igniter fuel, just to get the stove up to temperature BEFORE opening the valve to the Coleman fuel.
    Please comment on this idea. (I saw this in a YT video, and his stove turned on as if it was fully heated up.)

BTW: I ALWAYS open/re-close the tank cap prior to any ignition.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  16. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

I prime the Svea 123 with alcohol 90% of the time. With the Sigg windshield setup in place, it's not feasible to confine the priming liquid to the 'dimple'; not even advisable, maybe, for a good prime outdoors. Under those circumstances, I prefer alcohol, and always carry a small bottle of same in the pack.

17. Tony Press

@Thomas Karlmann

I always use ethanol to prime. It’s so much cleaner. I use a carbon felt ring placed in the well at the bottom of the burner, and I soak that in alcohol.

I’m not sure what you mean by “3 caps”. Is it the tool for servicing the SRVs? If so they were available from The Fettlebox.

Cheers

Tony

18. Radler

@Thomas Karlmann
    What happens, if you fill the spare canister of your car up to the top and place it in the sun?

Something similar happens in your stove. Liquid fuel opens the SRV under pressure and produces an impressive flare when ignited. Nothing is wrong with the stove. Read the manual!

Radler

19. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

If the pip in this cap is 50 years old I would guarantee it is too hard to have any confidence in it. The OP will do what he wants, but I wouldn’t use it without rebuilding the cap. Brad