Svea Simplex Range

Discussion in 'Svea Simplex' started by sdata3, Dec 10, 2013.

1. sdata3

Hello everybody!

I'm new in this forum. I'm from Spain and I've found a Svea Stove in my grandfather's house, that my mother has recently inherited.

I was looking for some reference about this stove in the internet but I was unable to find anything with the information that I can obtain directly from the stove.

I attach here some pics here in order you can help me with the identification! Any idea about the value will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance!

1386715929-svea1.jpg

1386715937-svea2.jpg 1386715945-svea3.jpg 1386715953-svea4.jpg 1386715962-svea5.jpg 1386715973-svea6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi - Welcome to CCS where fortunately your stove can be identified as a Svea Simplex - basically a single burner 'range'.

Here is an extract from the 1915 Catalogue in our Library section:

1210141854-11.jpg

It appears in the catalogues a few years either side of that.

You have found a lovely old stove there but we don't offer valuations.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Welcome to CCS. Thank you for sharing this stove, a nice find.
    We don't, as a rule, give valuations. The value is up to the owner or a possible buyer. You can search eBay for completed sales of stoves similar to yours.
    I will start with some details I notice, more experienced stovies will follow.
    I believe it is a SVEA Simplex Range kerosene stove made by Max Sievert company, prior to the purchase by Optimus in 1969.
    I think it is like this one ... HERE
    It is also shown in the 1915 catalog .... HERE
    Note the burner on yours is missing the caps. They are available for replacements.

Thank you again for showing us this family heirloom,
    Ken in NC

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  4. sdata3

Thank you very much! It was VERY fast!

I was hours looking for it in the internet but it was imposible! I know nothing about this stuff :)

The next step is to check if it works or if it's possible to make it to work again :)

I'll keep you informed!

5. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Plenty of help & guidance to be found here from a very helpful membership. Good luck getting it 'fettled'!

6. sdata3

Hi Ken,

Thank you for your welcome!

We are going to look for the caps in the house before buying them, just in case they are hidden somewhere (that house is a mess).

I understand that you don't give valuations, anyway, thank you a lot!

Best,

Ale

7. snwcmpr

Can you see, in the linked photos and catalog, what the caps will look like? One will be smaller than the other. The bigger one will have small holes around the outside of it.

There are several test to perform before seeing it it will burn.
    First it must be pressurized and then must hold pressure.
    You can put it in hot water to check for leaks.

Ken in NC
    (I wish my grandparents had had one of those I could inherit.)

8. sdata3

Hi again Ken!

We have NO idea about the caps, but we will try to find them, if not, we will ask you about the parts in eBay.

I know we are very lucky for have inherited that house... you just can't imagine what kind of things we've found there... just awesome. The problem is that we are not collectors, and we have no idea about what can we do with all this things. We are planning to keep the best ones and to sell the other to an antiques store, here in Madrid there are many.

Concretely we are planning to restore this camp stove, maybe in the USA (we are planning to visit the states soon and we now that there there are more collectors and restorers than here in Spain).

Thanks very much for your interest, if you want to keep closer touch just send me a private message to exchange mails or something! It would be better if someone like any of you have inherited this stove instead of us, I'm sure you will appreciate it much more!! Anyway, we are very happy and we really want to restore it and keep it as well as this stove deserves it :)

9. snwcmpr

A description of burners ... HERE
    The one you are looking for is a silent burner. It will be 2 pieces.

I suppose there is a chance you may find another set, if your family had another stove, so you can't assume it is the right one before checking it out.
    Someone else will also come along and give better knowledge than I have, I hope.

Ken in NC

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  10. zuludog

If you are going to take it to USA for restoration I assume you will be flying. Check the rules and regulations well before you travel, both going there and for the return journey. It would be a shame to have the stove refused travel/confiscated/ or even destroyed.

11. pau-i-amor

pau-i-amor Subscriber

Te envio un MP

12. sdata3

Thanks for that advice! We've finally decided to try the restoration here in Spain :)