Swedish military alkohol stove

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Virginijus, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Virginijus

Hello.
    Please, help to identify brand of this swedish army stove. Seems very similar with Trangia stoves...

And next question: is this kit complete, or have something missed?

Thank you very much.

1313647088-40.jpg 1313647105-34.jpg 1313647116-22.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. RonPH

Looks to me like the complete set but am unsure what the model is but definitely the likes of the Trangia kits.

Ron

3. pysen78

pysen78 Subscriber

It's complete stove. A possible add-on would be the spirit bottle that was issued with it.

It's called "Jägarkök" (Rangers stove) and was issued instead of the ordinary oval shaped billycan to the soldiers of ranger units.

These were made by optimus and possibly a few other contractors. Optimus had a few different model numbers for them I think, one of them was No77. There was also a later model with a smaller burner (same size as trangia) called Optimus Tor 91. I think all of these are commonly called "purple flame" here on CCS.

4. davidcolter

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  5. davidcolter

Just to add - I have found that it is best to let the burner warm up for a minute or two before trying to put a pan on it. The deep pans seem to snuff the burner if it is still cold, it needs to be properly vaporizing the fuel from the jets first.

6. Virginijus

Thank you very much, friends, I'll ad my stoves hoard with them after your comments. :thumbup:

David, your video is very and very appetizing :lol: I go to have my evening meal...

7. Texas

I've not seen that version of Swedish stove in the USA, but there are Chinese copies of it available for around $20.00. I've used mine a good bit for heating water for coffee.

Best,
    Bob

8. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

here is my copy cooking up my last "real" dinner before heading off for two weeks of freeze dry :( 1313701483-2011_bwca_all_photos__35___Small_.JPG
    i would like to get both sets together to compare the "heft" and quality of the stampings.the leather strap on the real thing tells me a lot :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  9. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Moderator SotM Winner

Pysen has told you what there is to say about it. I could add that the reconnaissance units also could use this cookset.
    I just wanted to direct you to an old post where I showed some (bad) pics from the pages in my old Soldier's Manual that covered these:
    Look here.
    Extract from the text: One man stove, rangers. Consist of spirit burner, upper and lower windshield, cooking pot (1 litres and 1.5 litres), lid (frying pan), handle and belt. Fuel shall be brought in bottle (1 litre) for spirit 35.
    So I guess you only miss the 1 litre bottle, and that's no big loss since there are better ones available than those used by the army :lol:
    (Mind you, this is only one post in an extremely long topic about the other Swedish army cookset-snuskburken.)

10. nzmike

Good score! 8) My 77a Optimus (identical, pretty much, apart from the Trangia 'civilian' burner and simmer ring I retro-fitted) is my #1 user.

Just one question tho. The burner hole in the lower windshield looks too large to suspend the burner? Or is this just a case of photo perspective?

Good rig! :thumbup:

11. theyellowdog

Sharp eyes!
    Looks like you have the wrong burner to me. It may just be perspective but I think you have a smaller civilian burner but the burner support is for the larger military burner.

Spiritburner gifted me one of these last year, it is a great stove!

Dan

12. Virginijus

Christer, thank you very much. Bottle for spirit will not be a problem :lol:

Aprox. 20 years before Sweden made a gift for new recreated Lithuanian army- lot of unused military stuff from different periods. Now this stuff sometimes is moving between collectors. Fascinating to find unused, beautiful devices from before WWII period or some later. I found this stove and old Swedish army compass from 1939 at one seller now:

1313775049-14.jpg

And other stuff sometimes add to my collection. I am very looking for old Swedish infantry bycicle, but unsuccessfuly yet...

I can't to answer to this question, I don't have this stove yet and these pictures is from the seller of them.

Here is one more pictures, maybe it helps to identify is the burner right for this set?

1313773806-25.jpg

13. davidcolter

It is correct, it was just the perspective in your other picture that made it look smaller.

14. itchy

I have managed to pick up three similar to these (two in pretty bad shape), all use the larger size burner but I am pretty sure they were for the civilian market as they carry the Optimus name and lack the three crowns. They seem to go for much less than the Trangia 27, but are similar in size and work very well, IMO.

15. Ari

I want one where should I look?

16. Texas

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  17. Ari

Thank you I just ordered one.

18. theyellowdog

It may be removable, but on the one I had at least, it was not replaceable. By this I mean you could not replace it with an o-ring as it would not seal. To get an oring to work I had to insert a flat dish of brass under the oring.

Dan

19. nzmike

Ah. Perspective. One of my favorite things. The set could do with an effective summer ring tho, most of my cooking is of the boil-then-simmer type. It's a good cook set, might as well have the option :thumbup: