Swedish military "Enmanskök, jägare"(one man stove, ranger)

Discussion in 'Other brands' started by Lennart F, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Lennart F Norway

This is a complete military storm cooker obviously inspired by Esbit 27 and nearly identical with the Optimus 77A except the markings, strap and neck/lid/(simmer ring) of the burner. DSCN0242.JPG
    DSCN0239.JPG DSCN0238.JPG DSCN0233.JPG
    1 liter spirit bottle used to come with this set even if it wasn't an integrated part.
    DSCN0237.JPG
    And the WW2 utensil kit sports the older single crown instead of the later three crowns - I now have a civilian kit without crowns too, they were identical made from pre-war to the end. DSCN0235.JPG
    What I believe to be latest military version "kåsa" is another intimate but not integrated thing.
    DSCN0236.JPG
    Other age of burner than other parts is common as burners were stored separate from the cookware to avoid corrosion and mated when issued to the soldiers.
    DSCN0228.JPG DSCN0232.JPG DSCN0234.JPG
    This lid has a Trangia O-ring - a bit too small but it works good enough.
    DSCN0240.JPG
    Fire!
    DSCN0242.JPG DSCN0243.JPG DSCN0244.JPG DSCN0245.JPG DSCN0250.JPG
    ...and one full burner was just enough for boiling fine cut potato/carrot/onion mix, frying a pack of mini salsiccia and boil the essential weapon grade coffee:D

To compare with other look-a-likes:
    DSCN0225.JPG DSCN0228.JPG DSCN0226.JPG
    Left military with correct leather strap and right early Optimus 77A(should have blue/yellow textile strap) - likely made at same period in same production line.
    DSCN0231.JPG DSCN0230.JPG
    Left military and right modern similar size and form but very cheap product with Trangia-sized burner quite similar to late Optimus 88, unbranded and sold worldwide under many names, thin brown vinyl strap.
    Below them is the Esbit 27, smaller size and one pot but likely to be the pattern for the military stove.

2. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

Thanks for the post. I'm strangely fascinated by stormcookers. There was a Swiss surplus store
    www.green-store.ch
    who had all manner of Swiss Army surplus, including Borde Volcano bottle cookers, Swiss mess tins and Meta50 sets with military Trangia style burners. I was never able to get an order from these people, since their shipping charge to the US was $75 USD [air mail ?] and paying more for transport than the goods themselves was unthinkable.
    Sadly, when I tried to pull up their bookmark from Favorites, I got a 404 error. So I guess they slipped off the edge of the Known World and are no more.
    Scratch that. They are still out there. I was able to get a fresh link off my own post. I don't see any of the nostalgic items I was drooling for. But they do carry the Optimus Svea 123R for 138.50 Swiss Francs.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@Lennart F ,

Thank you for the excellent report and photos!! Very nice stuff, indeed! I have posted photos of my Loke stove, but without it's Military pot (which was sent to me by a kind CCS Mate!). I, too, love the idea of a Stormcooker, and after having messed with the Trangia Tribe, my Optimus 81 Trapper, the Optimus 77A, and the 91 Purple Flame, I am convinced that the entire idea is fantastic!!! Thanks, again, for sharing this, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

4. Lennart F Norway

The norwegian 1 liter canteen is not a correct accessory but it looks somewhat like the swedish plastic canteen often used with this cooker.
    DSCN0241.JPG
    The IKEA cutting board and the cutting knife from Richardson, Sheffield are pure civilian items...
    DSCN0250.JPG
    I believe this is the last version of the classic swedish military flashlight - plastic with 2 C-cells instead of the old flat triple cell pack used in the first plastic version, functions like the WW2 and later tin plate versions.
    DSCN0251.JPG DSCN0252.JPG DSCN0253.JPG DSCN0249.JPG