Swedish Military? What Number?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Shed-man, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Shed-man

Shed-man R.I.P.

Found this today at a car-boot sale. Saw the three crowns and immediatly know it is Swedish. Didn,t make a fuss about it and got it at very low cost. When I got it home this is what I have. I have trawled the Gallery but cannot see anything like it, so did not want to post it there until I get better information.

It is obviously Swedish, and very probably Military. No dates on it anywhere. The spirit-burner is stamped SVEA No65 on the base, with three crowns. The Outer case is stamped SVEA No68, with three crowns. The cooking pans are stamped 5116 Cn, with three crowns.

The hanger hook on the handle (bail) is very crude and may be an addition?

There are two kinks in the handle (bail) and only one is central, so why an offset one?

If it is Military, I suspect that the two loops on the hinged handle of the smaller pan may be for lifting it, perhaps with a knife or bayonet (imagination running riot now!)

Inside at the base of the outer windshield there are two hinged arms that raise to support the spirit burner.

The burner is brass, but all the rest, apart from handle, is stainless steel.

What number do designate this stove as? If I can get that sorted I can then add the stove to the Gallery. Thanks - Steve.

1355671127-Svea_1_opt.jpg

1355671142-Svea_2_opt.jpg

1355671193-Svea_3_opt.jpg

1355671210-Svea_4_opt.jpg

1355671224-Svea_5_opt.jpg

1355671235-Svea_6_opt.jpg

1355671247-Svea_7_opt.jpg

1355671258-Svea_8_opt.jpg

1355671276-Svea_9_opt.jpg

1355671289-Svea_10_opt.jpg

1355671305-Svea_11_opt.jpg

|imgRemoved|

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Shed-man

Shed-man R.I.P.

Here is the third stamping mark

1355672421-Svea_12_opt.jpg

3. Svea 121

Hi
    The coat hanger part and center kink is for hanging over a fire. The off-center kink is for pouring. The pan also fits on top of pot as a double boiler. And the pot fits in the pan. Mine is aluminum. Military for sure. I took the coat hanger off. It was ugly.

4. Shed-man

Shed-man R.I.P.

Thanks Svea121. Good information. Do you have any idea of what its designation No is? Steve.

5. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Moderator SotM Winner

Steve, I don't think the stove has any particular designation. But the entire kit is called Enmanskök ("One mans stove") in the army documents.
    If you do a search for "Swedih mess kit", you will get a whole lot of hits since this kit often is up to discussion.
    One of the most vast topic is perhaps this one.
    A lot to read, but you will also see which different companies that made the different parts of this kit. Look at page five!
    (Since it's strictly an army thing, many companies got the deal.)

David Colter has also made a clip a while ago how to use the hook for pouring and also keeping the bail away from the tin so it stays cool.
    Seen here.

Here's a couple of illustrations from my soldier instruction manuals.
    The first is from the materials book, and the other from the winter warfare book.
    You will notice how he takes the spirit bottle out from his jacket since it's essential to keep the alcohol warm during really cold weather.
    That spirit bottle is by the way the only thing you miss.

1355675251-enmans.jpg

1355675212-vinterkrig.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  6. EddieJ

I really rate these stoves, and use mine everday at work. I can't say that the extra hook bothers me either. :) WWhen packing the stove up, secure the unit together first with the hook, then slide it down inside wind break/pot stand.

Mine is the stainless version.

1355675368-DSCF9222_opt__2_.jpg 1355675383-DSCF9228_opt__2_.jpg 1355675410-one_opt__2_.jpg

7. pysen78

pysen78 Subscriber

If you need some kind of designation i beleive enmanskök m/40 will be the ticket.

8. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Moderator SotM Winner

Yes if it's made in stainless, it most probably is the m/40.
    The m/40 was made in both Alu and SS if I got it right, but the m/44 was only made in aluminum.

9. EddieJ

I should have added that if you want one of the plastic meths containers, they can be bought for £1.00 via the internet. I can forward the details to you should you want them.

I know that there is a ready supply of these stoves on a certain auction site, but if you decide that you don't want to keep it, I'd quite happily add another to my growing collection. :)

Edit.. I should have also added that a simmer ring is also quite a useful addition to the Trangia. It is something that I still need to buy or make.

10. EddieJ

I wonder why my version has rivetts on the pan set and yet your version doesn't. :-k

1355685386-DSCF9227_opt__2_.jpg

11. Shed-man

Shed-man R.I.P.

Hi Eddie, I suspect that it is maybe that yours is an Aluminium one and mine is SS? - Steve.

12. Shed-man

Shed-man R.I.P.

Thank you all - Christer, Eddie, Pysen. What a great site this is for like minded people helping each other :thumbup: :thumbup: You were absolutely right Christer, that was a big 5 page site on previous posting link, but lots of good info:whistle: I also very much liked David Coulter's explaination of the hook and enabling pouring. :thumbup: I probably will not use this kit, but will keep it for now, unless a really keen collector persuades me otherwise. How the hell did it get to deepest Dorset UK :?: :?: :-s Steve

13. EddieJ

After I finished the typing the last message, I thought hang on, mine must be aluminium as it wouldn't be possible to join the two metals in another way than rivetts. I was pretty sure that mine is stainless, but I'm now having my doubts. :cry:
    In reference to the numbers, mine has NC65 on all parts other than the Trangia, which just has the crowns and name on it. This could be because mine came with a new burner, which could I guess be a civilian designated version.

14. Shed-man

Shed-man R.I.P.

Makes sense Eddie :thumbup: . Now :?: , question for the Mods! should I post pictures of this in the Gallery as I do not see one there at present :?: And also, Eddie, why do you not post your pictures there as well :?: . If this info had been there in the first place I would not have had to ask the questions ](*,) Anyway, thank you again everyone for your help :clap: :clap: :clap: Steve

15. EddieJ

Thanks Steve, I'll have to post my stove details into the gallery section.

The stainless issue has me bugged now, not least because I'm sure that when I bought it ages ago, it was sold to me as being stainless. I have just popped out and tried to polish it, and the rag stayed exactly the same colour and didn't go the usual black that I would have expected. I'm now left wondering if it has also been anodised! :?

Either way, this is one stove that I really enjoy using, and is after all what it is all about. :)

16. EddieJ

Back out in the shed again... Sadly for me the big pot has a spiders web type appearance on the underside, which leaves me in doubt that mine is anodised aluminium.

17. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

We've talked about these kits hundreds of times here over the years. Haven't looked, but it's sure hard to believe there are no gallery pix of one.....

I've owned several; used to buy them for under 10 bucks apiece. No surprise they're in Dorset!

Hot chocolate in the snow made with one:
    009_9-1.jpg

18. expat

Just picked one of these up myself! Aluminium, available in green & black or black & silver from the eBay store...

Burner is too big to fit a trangia simmering ring on mine.

19. Svea 121

Hi EddieJ

Try a MAGNET please ;) . Let me know if ss or aluminum. It's made for the soldier. Bet you one USD it's aluminum. :-({|=

Daryoush

20. Jim Henderson

Not all stainless steel is magnetic.

I forget which alloys are magnetic and which are not. But there are differences, so this i not a sure fire test. Weight is probably a better test but I don't know the weights of any of these. I could weigh my 4 sets but I don't know what they are made out of. They all look the same and are painted.

Wild guess is the painted models are steel since aluminim can be hard to paint, but there are ways, so even this is not a sure check.

I'll try a magnet test when I get home but as mentioned that is not a sure test.
    Jim Henderson