Swedish Patent c.WW1

Discussion in 'Other brands' started by igh371, Mar 1, 2017.

1. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

DSC05458.JPG

Here is one to challenge the brain. A No.1 type stove which, in every detail, seems to be exactly the same as any standard Primus No.1 from the period c.1911-20; but which has no markings whatsoever except for a rather crude tank side plate proclaiming 'PATENT MADE IN SWEDEN'. Could this be something to do with the famous Primus works strike of 1913? Or is there some other explanation? Other than Primus No.1s of this period the only other stove that shares all of the other physical details in the reference gallery is a Sirius No.1 but that has clear, normal, legends and marks of origin.

DSC05448.JPG

DSC05449.JPG DSC05456.JPG DSC05450.JPG
    DSC05451.JPG DSC05452.JPG DSC05453.JPG DSC05454.JPG DSC05455.JPG DSC05457.JPG

@Christer Carlsson

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

I saw the auction listing but baulked at a conundrum and didn't bid! I might have known it would resurface here on CCS and I'd still be engaged in head scratching. Thanks nevertheless Ian for featuring it.

The Patent plate is graced with no less than three sizes of lettering for 'Patent', 'Made/Sweden' and 'In' yet it's clumsily stamped (crude as you say, Ian).

Additionally, it's a separate plate soldered on rather than fuel tank plates being stamped or engraved before constructing the tank.

My guess (no better than that) is that the plate is a conceit added by an owner to an unbranded stove. Even as I typed that I found myself picking holes in my interpretation!

John

3. swedmiro

It might also just be a worker sneaking out parts during the production process to sell on the side. It is hard to fathom for most people but Sweden before WW1 was one of the poorest nations in Europe. During WW1 there was hunger riots and Sweden was not far from going the same way as Russia with a revolution. Stealing and selling on the side might have been a way to survive.

4. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

imo - plate is cutted from blowtorch

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @igh371

Excellent mystery! But my view is that if it walks like a duck it probably is a duck: that is if it measures up in all of its characteristics to be a Primus, it probably is.

It looks very "Primus" to me (eg that spirit cup).

[I had better find time soon to post my old Primuses].

Cheers

Tony

6. igh371

@presscall , yes John, curiosity got the better of me, half wondered whether there might have been some other clues under all the muck, and there was only one way to find out; but no, nothing.
    @swedmiro that 'homer' project idea has some attractions, and may link in to the strike circumstances ...

7. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

Primus never angled their air-screws that way (they were always at 90 degrees to the tank): more likely Optimus (which also used the integral cone-shapted spirit cup in the pre-1920 days. Radius, also did not reduce the angle of their airs-crews until the 1920s..so, certainly not Primus...

8. igh371

@abbahco1 - a very good point Peter, I'd missed that; and had already dismissed Optimus too, on account of the leg shaping - time to reconsider (again!). The only other point I've noticed now are the 2 closely spaced concentric tooling mark bands around the shoulder where the raised central 'dome' takes off from the flatter outer part of the tank top. They maybe a significant clues too:-k So a lot more food for thought still. Thank you, Ian.

9. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

I have a couple of Optimus stoves c. 1920 that have exactly that leg profile - I think it's an Optimus for sure..

10. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    One learns a lot in threads like this!

Cheers

Tony

(Duck is Optimus...)