Swiss-Army-Ranger-Volcano-Canteen-Cooker

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by dave1966, Jul 18, 2015.

1. dave1966

I have never seen one in person, but can anyone tell me if a Trangia burner fits in this piece of kit? Must say I am curious about getting one for piss and giggles.

2. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

yes it will and the homemade pop can stoves work also.just do a "trangia in ranger stove" Google search and look at the photos,lots of them with one of mine in there.before you fire it up do a dry run on how all those wires fit and work.if you have a Trangia tea pot the lid fits the cup from the stove.
    i got mine for $10.

3. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

I have two BNIB, You pay postage, I'll send you one.

4. anlrolfe

anlrolfe Subscriber

Too tight and too hot too fast.
    I cut the bottom out of an old aluminum cased capacitor.
    It's just small enough to fit neatly over the bottle & cork and able to be stored inside the kit.
    I've got it configured like a mini cat stove. It still burns faster that I prefer and tend towards esbit/triox tabs or sticks & twigs.

AR

5. itchy

Like b-bum, I picked up 3 back when they were dirt cheap. What ever it was I paid, it was too much. But always say something good, so -- the cork for the bottle is a pretty good cork.

6. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Dave G that google ranger stove was good tip thx.
    the popular Swedish army cooker also pops up quite a bit w/that search btw (but then again they are everywhere!).
    OP Dave, your post and swiss "volcano"
    my thought was this:

[​IMG]
    500 × 658 - bladeforums.com

Check google images as Mr Gibson suggests to see many w/trangia burners.

Itchy comment about the cork had me wondering about ANOTHER ALSO SWISS army cooker
    [​IMG]

So we are talking about the top image right?
    If so Mr Gibson already pointed to the answer, yes.
    It DOES look like a tight fit and AR has cautioned it may get too hot, makes sense, so be mindful of that.
    They are shown w/trangia burners but maybe they need simmer ring
    to keep from getting too hot? thx omc

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  7. Dutch_Peter

Hi,
    I've heard (an unverified explanation) from a fellow collector that the hole at the bottom is to stick a Borde stove in.
    Cheers,
    Peter

8. Craig

Borde designed and sold a civilian version of the Swiss Volcano stove called a "flaschenkoker" (flask cooker) No. 6, so it seems the stove was originally designed for use with the Borde Bomb. I have used one for years with trigs, trioxane, hexamine as well as the Swiss emergency gel fuel cookers. They all work OK. The later production Swiss Volcano stoves have an opening which is just a bit too small to easily insert and remove a Borde Bomb burner head. I'll have to widen the opening on my Volcano stove a little to suit.

ADMIN EDIT: Image from http://mekshat.com/vb/showthread.php?p=4845289

11703041_1631947317076959_5078518750348436536_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2015
  9. dogface

dogface United States Subscriber

The picture below illustrates what happens when a Trangia burner is used in one of these stoves. The thermal feedback from the enclosed space causes overheating, and the alcohol burns off very quickly, with much of it escaping the stove to burn beautifully, and inefficiently outside the stove.

P9210015.jpg

Here is a kit modifying the Swiss stove to make it more efficient with a Trangia burner.
    PC100003-2.jpg

Everything fits inside, even the alcohol bottle.

PC100004-2.jpg

All the pieces. The original bottle has been cut off to create a pot to use on a top mounted stand.
    PC100005-2.jpg

PC100006-2.jpg

The Trangia fits well, although getting it in there is problematic if one has large hands. Rattling it into position and then adding alcohol via the little door works.
    PC100007.jpg

The aluminum pot stand. I don't know how long this stand will hold up given the temperatures and the effects to the aluminum that were apparent after several usages.
    PC100009-2.jpg

The pot. The hanger is SS shark fishing leader attached with some little fishing thingies.
    PC100010-2.jpg

Using a pot above the stove, rather than the cup in the stove, enables the burner to burn the alcohol within the stove, but I really don't know that this setup is that much more efficient. An alcohol stove that is not so affected by thermal feedback (such as a chimney stove) works much better, with the cup, or the pot. I do have a windscreen that fits notches in the cross stand, and with it in place the efficiency is greatly increased. This Swiss stove has extra air holes drilled in the bottom area. Perhaps without them the Trangia wouldn't burn so madly, but inefficiency via fumes not burning within the stove would still occur just from the reflected heat feedback.
    PC100017.jpg

10. Spork

After much experimentation, I've settled on using gel fuel in mine. It's much easier to load without risk of spillage and burns cleanly.

I use a small steel tuna can with a single row of holes...basically a Supercat burned in chimney mode (not sitting on top of the can)

swiss_ranger01.jpg
    swiss_ranger02.jpg
    swiss_ranger03.jpg

11. Dion

Does anyone know where I could get a swiss army volcano stove for relatively inexpensive? I am on a budget and have seen a few on ebay, but feel they are over-priced. I have not come across anything on the local craigslist in NY. Does anyone have one for sale? [-o<

12. rescout

Like the others, the thermal feedback of a Trangia doesn't work it the confined space. It gets too hot. I used a "mini" can of sterno I found years ago in a surplus store. I've just refilled the can with pyro paste or squirted liquid alcohol in it. I have used the cup to warm soup/stew like this and it works OK. Then while eating, I'd put the aluminum bottle on full of water. When I'm done eating, I have hot water (lift bottle with leather work glove). It will boil water, if I let it sit long enough. Drop the sterno can lid from above when done to snuff out the flame. Sometimes you have to fish the lid around to get it placed properly; the "access" at the bottom of the "stove" is awkward.

I think I've read about people using a MiniBull remote alcohol stove that would fit through the "Borde" window. That would be ineresting.

13. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Did you try the Trangia with the simmer ring on?

14. rescout

\As I recall, there is not much room for the simmer plate to "swing out" much; you might just get a crescent of flame. That said, it might be worth a further look.

15. janders

janders Subscriber

@rescout The old version simmer ring did not have the lid. It just covered the burner holes and let the middle open. Picture is here, (Full post).
    This is the oldest version that was attached to the burner. There was also one that used a spring attachment.

16. rescout

You gave me an idea. I have a Brasslite turbo stove; it is a "central well" burner.

[​IMG]

And it fits in the volcano stove. The insert that holds the bottle just fits above the potstand of the brasslite.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I first tried it with the vent ports mostly closed. Starts off well.

[​IMG]

As it runs, it gets hotter and the flame grows. Some of the potstand is glowing red.

[​IMG]

Flame is getting bigger. You can see some flame coming out of a lower vent on the brasslite.

[​IMG]

Well,

[​IMG]

Lift the bottle off to see if I can calm down the burner. Nope.

[​IMG]

Fortunately, I can blow out the flame through the "loading port". The alcohol is boiling from the bottom of the Brasslite.

So, maybe the ports need to be closed, throttling the Brasslite all the way down.

[​IMG]

But again the heat grows the flame.

[​IMG]

And it the flame does start to exit the loading port. Not as dramatically, but still.

It might behave better if the base of the volcano was on a cold surface. Aluminum is a great heat conductor, and maybe with a cold base underneath it would act as a heat sink and help keep the brass (also a good heat conductor) stove from getting hot under the liquid fuel. Or, maybe, if there was some insulator between the stove and the volcano. Those are just ideas, but I'll probably stick to sterno.

17. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

rescout, great set of photos and welcome to CCS. :D