swiss army ranger volcano stove

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by bolexguy, Aug 19, 2009.

1. bolexguy

bolexguy Subscriber

anyone have any experience with this? i just got one and will give it the boil test shortly but was wonering if it works well in any other configurations / different fuels etc.

any info? or is it a shortlived military gimmicky thing

2. anlrolfe

As with any equipment, it all depends on what you want to use it for and what you are willing to tolerate in the process.

1250709833-swiss_volcano_cooker.JPG

Before I get too far let me say that I have one of these in my collection. Cheapest I have seen them in USA has been @ cheaperthandirt.

Don't expect to store anything liquid in it for long. Even if you have tall vertical exterior pockets ie(Alice-pack) the cork will leak.

On the other hand put dry goods like oats, gorp, cereal in there.

I have tried heating with various commercial and hand made alcohol stoves. The confined space and use of AL conducts heat so fast that your fuel load goes up like an atom bomb. I heat in the cup and you can get instant coffee, tea or oats FAST.

I have not tried Hexamine/Esbit but I hear that it could cook the bottom. perhaps use a sacrificial pan to deflect the heat.

I can see its flexibility as a HOBO store to feed it scraps of wood.

Tea candles could give you some warm water in the AM if they could burn that long.

Best high power solution that I have seen ditched the canteen to save space and stored a Borde inside

1250711166-swiss_volcano_cooker_w_borde.JPG

With all these as possibilities, I still go 123R

hope this helps

AR

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  3. RonPH

Any chance of some pictures. Some use the borde as their stove though.

4. anlrolfe

I think that I saw pics from this site, search borde, or perhaps create a new topic "Borde & volcano cooker" and see who responds.

I got these pics from a few google searches just to convey my ideas quickly.

My experience w/ volcano is only from a few day hikes and perhaps a limited perspective.

The root to any stove question is still "what do you NEED and what are you willing to tolerate?"

AR

PS - I still hear the echo of my mom in the back of my head saying that "you have to differentiate your wants from your needs" ..... female dog(shut up be respectful)

.... "I NEED another stove"

P PS pics of what??

5. bolexguy

bolexguy Subscriber

a borde huh.....well that just starts a whole new list of those " wants" you speak of

6. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

i was turned on to the Borde thru this site early on.Doc had a lot to do with it along with the guys across the pond who have several models.mine has been on several canoe trips and works just as well as any modern stove..they are spendy to buy on ebay but are solid as a brick with just one moving part and no tiny O rings or pump parts to go bad.

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hey, Brother Dave,

Now, don't go blaming me, Lad!! Er..... well, I..... OK, go ahead and blame me!! :oops: :oops: :whistle: 8-[ :lol: I agree that the little Borde is a wonderful addition to any kit, and well worth owning and using! Great little stove! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

8. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

The only thing wrong with the Borde is the preheat process. Here in California, you can go to prison :lol:

9. bolexguy

bolexguy Subscriber

I will probably be safe then... in NJ they dont really care unless you set your house on fire and dance around naked... then explode.... they seem to have alot of corruption to take care of first recently

10. SNOWGOOSE

Hi,

This stove is fine for burning any organic matter such as small dry sticks - see photo.Just use the stove - carry water in something lighter - a plastic bottle or Platypus.

1250779033-SWISS_1_IMG_7104_opt.jpg 1250779052-SWISS_2_IMG_7106_opt.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  11. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

Hello Roger

Just got my Volcano stove (kettle) this morning.
    How are you getting on with yours ?

I have been in the tractor shed with the chainsaw
    all day cutting wood for the winter, i took the stove with me and fed it a few twigs, just to see how it performed.
    I found the feed hole could be a tad bigger to aid twig feeding. I also saw the breathing holes at the base would block with ash fairly quickly.

12. Zincman

I found one of these on a surplus site and bought it not knowing anything about them. I've tried it by boiling a cup of water in the flask with small splits of dry wood which worked fairly well but left the flask base and sides stained and covered in tar.
    I then tried boiling a cup in the cup using a pop-can stove which was easier, less smokey and much cleaner. The difficulty is the size of the opening for the fuel as already mentioned above.I may modify it to allow a pop-can in through the opening which is better than dropping in from above. Or make a pop-can stove small enough to fit in through the opening.
    Yes the flask is not much cop as a water carrier as the cork is only OK, not wonderfully water-tight. Perhaps a modern ali or plastic one would be better and allow space for the pop-can.

13. Lance

Lance Subscriber

Wallgreens drug store here in the states sells a wonderfull stainless steel water flask which fits this stove combo like it was made to go in there. i have three of them and am thinking of getting a fourth.

lance

14. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  15. hikin_jim

Has anyone who has used the Swiss Ranger Volcano Stove also used a Kelly Kettle/Ghillie Kettle/Bengahzi Boiler/Thermette?

I'm wondering how the volcano stove and a Kelly Kettle type stove compare.

Somehow, just a gut feeling, the design of a Kelly Kettle seems like it would draw air better. In other words, it seems like a Kelly Kettle type stove would have a better "chimney effect."

Comments?

HJ

16. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

Hi Jim

You are right ! I say that based on my own personal experience using both units.

The Volcano stove has to be fed at the base and the more you feed into the stove the less breathing space it has, so its little and often !!
    meaning you are not free to do other jobs/chores.

This led to my slight modification of the feed hole and breathing holes.

The Kelly is fed from the top, just drop in a handfull of kindling or sticks. The chimney effect is clearly seen on the kelly as flames are seen above the top.

So, for ME....Its the kelly. Plus it makes me smile :content:

17. hikin_jim

Well, then what more do we need? ;)

Yeah, the Kelly Kettle/Sirram volcano/Ghillie Kettle/Thermette type cooker seems so, well, intuitive. The Swiss Ranger type seems like more of a kludge.

I've seen a couple of small, light weight Kelly Kettle type stoves lately that look tempting, er, interesting.

http://www.theboilerwerks.com/about/

I may have to check one out.

HJ

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  18. RonPH

Well if you intend just to boil water, the swiss volcano and kelly does the job - hot water, choco mix, tea, coffee. Now cooking food is a different story. I'd rather have one set that does both IMHO rather than take one for boiling water and another for cooking. But its just me....I like to cut down on what to bring along. Kinda hard cleaning the Kelly if you put oats inside it :D

Ron

19. anlrolfe

Just splash the alcohol into the bottom of the chimney. The only trick is to get it to burn slower. I've though about adding a ring of fiberglass stove gasket around the bottom. It would wick up the fuel and tend to burn slower & longer. I've tried several home made burners inside. They get hot quick and and consume the fuel load before you can blink an eye. Guess the thermal conductivity of aluminum is a double edged sword?

AR

20. hikin_jim

In other words, leave the Kelly Kettle and the Swiss Volcano at home?

HJ

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015