Taiwan Sigg Tourist Clone

Discussion in 'China' started by bem1965, Oct 31, 2018.

1. bem1965

bem1965 Sweden Subscriber

A short while ago I had the fortune to snag this at a action site on an internet near us all.
    1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Fitted with my modern 123R, the retention is quite good! You can flip it upside down without the stove falling out.
    5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

The pot grips are functional, but a bit flimsy!
    9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

The only markings on the set is on the loops for the strap.

I have heard @Doc Mark warning about lead content in the Aluminum and I will test it before using for cooking. Were did I leave that sulfuric acid? Lead contamination from cooking utensils made from recycled Al is a big problem! Even with a very small lead content, leakage into food is a major health risk.

I am very happy with this find since I had more or less given up on ever finding a real Sigg Tourist. And since it seems to really like the 123R, I might as well keep that one also!

All the best!
    /Lars

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@bem1965 , Hi, Lars,

I remember the discussion on the safety of those Taiwanese Sigg clones. My comments, back then, had to do with what Colin Fletcher wrote about them, in The Complete New Walker III. On page 211, after discussing the real Sigg cooksets, he wrote:

"Beware of Taiwanese equivalent, reported to have dangerous levels of lead and copper".

Fletcher did not go into more detail, nor did he state where the "reports" were generated, nor by whom. Back then, I trusted his reviews on everything else, and he rarely led us astray, even though some of his advisors did offer poor advice now and then, i.e., the thought that Sievert SVEA 123's had to be replaced every 5 years, or so, because they had "worn out"! We now know that this "advice" was bad, and incorrect, as we resurrect our little 123's day in, and day out, with excellent success!! Getting back to the Taiwanese clone cooksets, I, personally, would not be inclined to use them, especially when so many real Sigg Tourist sets are out there, ready to be found and used. Just my two cents, and worth what you paid to read them. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. I "might" have a Sigg Tourist set down in the Hobbit Hole, as part of our dear departed friend, @bajabum, Steve's stuff. I need to get back to organizing, photographing, and offering Steve's stuff for sale, here on CCS. As you may recall, all money generated from these sales goes to his family, and the buyers get the items they choose, pay the Postage, and I'll wrap and ship them, as bought. I'm bummed that I have not completed this task already, as I promised Steve and his wonderful family that I would! So, if interested, keep any eye out for that to happen, as soon as I can make get it all ready to go. FYI.

3. Tantra

Tantra Subscriber

Welcome to China :D/

4. anlrolfe

anlrolfe Subscriber

If metal quality is an issue, what alternative standard pots will best with these sets?