Tell me about brazing...

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by frg7700, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Zincman

Yes I have repaired stoves, often for friends who could not. I don't generally take photos of run-of-the-mill stuff like that so I cannot prove I've done it.

I'm sorry that what started as a gentle poke about semantics became a personal sniping match, it was meant in good part. I forget that humour has not just a different spelling on either side of the Atlantic
    I'm off to my darkened room (my workshop) to carry on fettling.

2. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Nah BD - you're being over-sensitive. A distraction from the subject maybe but I don't see anything Brit v Yank in this thread at all.

Lets not widen the argument into an international incident! :)

Heat or pre-heat? Just curious. :lol:

3. Quietstove Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  4. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Courtesy of Kerophile:

Link

Terry

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  5. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

This is moved to the lounge, good move, as w/some help Zincman went off the reservation w/his post imo. ALSO has apologized, good. A do-over "Solder Repair" in fettle section would be very nice to see.
    I post re: Ross's "over-sensitive" but side w/Bernie. He needn't be called out re over-sensitive imo, it is a tip for him and all members. On CCS re sensitivity dial it back to less sensitive or zero even. Not all counterpoints need be addressed, esp if re the topic, it's been answered.

After Bernie nicely answered the question imo, Zincman "baited" Bernie or anyone w/off-topic post ending "It's a question of engaging brain before opening mouth."
    A non-response or brief response incl "answered above" / we needn't agree nor argue within the oft times futile search for a right vs wrong.

Re the off-topic proper english, open a new topic in lounge, like others I don't see it UK vs US and an interesting banter may follow. Have some laughs w/it vs pissing contest.
    I'm the opposite of proper, my strength is problem solving and work I do w/my hands, "compared to" the GREAT written word here-in I'm a dumb arse.
    Tin... I've soldered PLENTY plumbing, wires and circuitry (so incl wires tinned destined to be inserted into IBM boards). I hadn't heard pre-tin, but ANSWER: pre-tinning & tinning are the same and reason to use pre-tin given. US BD and UK Ross using pre-tin, BD makes proper sense to me.

Early in the topic was George's re "...soft soldered..."
    In our imperfect world Bernie's "Don't braze" and varied points may put someone off as bossy & off-topic.
    Less sensitive George posted "no worries" [I share the sentiment].
    IMO BD's post was EXCELLENT, in that it was helpful, on-point, brief yet content rich and fairly thorough w/a "good luck".At this point it's all good, dare I say good examples to follow.

Bernie stated a preference for on-topic input, Zincman can EASILY oblige this (vs repeat).

6. Deleted Account 250821 Guest

My gosh.

A few YEARS LATE on my comments but....

I had a run in with bd on yt about his love of sodomy!he just loves to "soder" on alot oy his yt vids

When i was being dragged up "sodering" was the informal word for the act of sodomy.

If ,however,he meant "soldering" he should have pronunced the "L" as it is meant to be.

As for "pre tinning"...its outright preposterous.

"Tinning" is simply the coating of parts with solder-in preperation for soldering or as an end goal in itself.

The correct description of the term "pre tinning" is an oxymoron.

English was invented by.....ohhhh,lets see,ohhh,thats right,the ENGLISH,and the OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY is the defining document for english spelling and pronunciation.

(And thats coming from someone from a country that had our own little war with our the English and we came to terms)

Also when it comes to "common usage",some are obviously more common than others.

As i like to say frequently "might is NOT right"

Languages always EVOLVE but when they degenerate like English language has in so many places around the world it is "devolving" and leads to the general dumbing down of the population.

Good examples are "a" and "an" and thier correct usage,and manager used to describe a woman who manages.

Only a man can be a manager,the same as only a woman can be a manageress.

They are gender based terms.

And i am no technical expert on english-i just try not to accidently butcher it .

Most importantly,the poor use of language does not detract from the quality of the workmanship from either of the principles in this argument.

7. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    The word “manager” is not a gender-based word. It is derived from the Latin “manus”, meaning hand. Even though the words “manager” and “manageress” may have been used in some forms of English, “manager” has always been able to applied across genders.

Tony

8. Deleted Account 250821 Guest

@Tony Press

Im afraid you are wrong.

The way it WAS and SOULD STILL be taught is that it is gender based-the little CLUE is the FACT that there is a word that specifically describes women that manage-as you stated "manageress"

This word specifically excludes MEN .

The same as HERO/HEROINE
    ACTOR/ACTRESS

any word that has a male/female versikn is DEFINATELY gender based-at least that what gender based meant when i went to school and as applied by the oxford english dictionary-which is the version of the dictionary YOU ard supposed to use(being in the commonwealth)

I admit that RETARDS butcher the language and there are so MANY RETARDS that english is DEVOLVING,but i do not have to assist any more than my poor grammar and spelling

9. Tony Press

I correct the missing word in my post above:

‘…“manager” has always been able to be applied across genders”.

Tony

10. Deleted Account 250821 Guest

11. Jaime Massang

Jaime Massang Australia Subscriber

Mate, I'm not stalking you, but was just curious to see you on this thread.

You've actually given me a new vocabulary. I did not know 'devolving' was the antonym of 'evolving, thanks a motza!.

(To a succession lawyer, assets may devolve to beneficiaries or may be placed in a devolutionary trust.)

I have told people to "sod off!" in the past. I quite like changing that to 'soder off!'.
    (Going on what you say, it would have an extra 'insult' , or maybe not.)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  12. Jaime Massang

Shouldn't that then be 'posterous' and not 'preposterous'? LOL;)

13. Deleted Account 250821 Guest

@Jaime Massang

Does not insult me at all.

Tickles me pink to see you care so much to tailor your insults,and displays a rare level of intelligence hard to find on online forums.

I best let you get back to your "soddering"

14. Tony Press

48B9C1A3-C6C1-4F1F-B5E7-797AC557A6E1.jpeg

64D76D04-5617-4545-B64D-613A079BB798.jpeg

DC8E91ED-6CCD-4266-8D2E-DAE6377AE9B5.jpeg

Note: Person.

Tony

15. Deleted Account 250821 Guest

@Tony Press

Ohh very well done.

That should be a collectors item.

However-parliment was restricted to MEN only at yhat time and quite a way into the 20th century. Screenshot_20210823-233912_Chrome.jpg

I dont have an oed and its not online free so the screenshot below will have to suffice-its ONLY the collins dictionary.

16. Deleted Account 250821 Guest

@Tony Press

Even the americans concur with this from the miriam webster dictionary

Screenshot_20210823-234637_Chrome.jpg

17. Deleted Account 250821 Guest

@Tony Press

And more still.

I think thats more than enough.

For all of you genderless PEOPLE go ahead and use the terms as you want.

Just because i chose to use the TRUE meanings of the gender based words does not make me wrong.

It does however make you one of the politically correct morons in the world.

as long as there are MEN and WOMEN there will always be gender based words-get lver it.
    Dumbing down is not going to work for everybody

Screenshot_20210823-235828_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210823-235544_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210823-235535_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210823-235530_Chrome.jpg

18. Jaime Massang

19. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

In my experience over decades the word manager has always been gender neutral even prior to the modern age of folk seeking gender neutral terms. The fact the term manageress is gender specific does not change that.

@Deleted Account 250821 But - whatever side of the debate you may be on, calling another member here a moron is not acceptable.

20. Deleted Account 250821 Guest

Dam right and its reeeeal tasty