Temp Site closure 17 June 2017

Discussion in 'CCS News & Announcements' started by Spiritburner, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

I think it's a dns issue & will resolve for you eventually. I still can't get onto Fettlebox but I know others can. My isp's been slow in the past to refresh dns. I can get into the admin panel but it's on the old server. I masked the index.php of all the sites & replaced it with an index.html page with a message about the move. I did this so I'd know which server I was seeing & to prevent posts on the old server

Some people were on the new server within an hour as our server guy Matt could see the logins. It took several hours for me to get on CCS & longer for CPL. Some attempts I'd see the new server but it was just briefly.

It's a pain in the arse but it is what is. Nothing I can do but ask you to wait as I & others are doing.

I'll be deleting the sites on the old server in the next day or so.

Some options for clearing dns cache from PC or router

https://timwolverson.wordpress.com/2014/04/26/speed-up-dns-propagation/

Info on the issue
    https://uk.godaddy.com/help/what-factors-affect-dns-propagation-time-1746

2. G1gop

G1gop United Kingdom Subscriber

Not had any problem seeing the sites until this morning around 8:30.
    Just said site offline for about 1/2 hr.

3. Spiritburner

If it was the message below you must have been routed through a dns server that hasn't been updated yet:

This is on the index.html page on the old server.

If it was another message please give me what detail you can remember.

4. G1gop

No just 'site offline'.
    This was on my mobile.
    Samsung Note 3 android 5 Samsung browser.
    I tried other sites to make sure it wasn't my connection.

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
  6. redspeedster

redspeedster Subscriber

I for one can't thank Ross and Matt (the tech. guy) enough for fixing the issues thrown up by the most recent server move.
    I know everyone on CCS and CPL have had some issues with access since the 17th but going forward these will all be forgotten about, as it is patently obvious both sites now perform significantly better since the move.

Like the proverbial swan, everything has been serene on the surface but there is paddling like buggery below it.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

7. G1gop

Yes well done Ross and the team ( all of them).
    I am very glad I am out of all this now. Too many memories of doing rebuilds throughout the night. Living on Rocket fuel (this is a brand of coffee that actually has a warning not to drink if you have a heart condition as it contains around 10x's the normal caffeine present in a strong coffee!).
    It is very easy to either not realise or forget just how much work it is to maintain websites and servers.

8. Spiritburner

Thanks guys. It's been a rocky ride. Matt was working like crazy yesterday on the Fettlebox & Speedsterstoves shops, even getting involved on their software support forum himself. All resolved. He's also helped set up our test site which has saved load of time for me & sets us up nicely for development work with Jay. A short breather & work behind the scenes will re-commence.

@Trojandog & @Christer Carlsson - I'll get those forum images loaded shortly now things have settled down! :thumbup:

9. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Great work, Ross and the team.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:!

Cheers

Tony

10. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

There are still dns issues. It might be my local isp rather than your end though.
    If anyone contacts you via other means and cant get into the site then following the instructions at http://use.opendns.com/ will give you a dns server that works and I dont think tracks you toooo much