The BORDE Nr.33

Discussion in 'Borde' started by Chef BC, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Chef BC

Purchased from a superb seller in Hong Kong. :clap: :clap: It is now matched with my first virgin Borde. If anyone would know about the history; the phylum, genius, species and family of the different Borde stoves any contribution would be a good read. One could say that this is my "holy grail stove" Thank you. :D/ :D/ 1307568081-P6070019_opt.jpg

1307568109-P6070058_opt.jpg
    Borde Nr.33 on the left, Virgin Borde on right

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. idahostoveguy

Them Borde stoves are very cool and bizarre at the same time. Your 'virgin' looks the most bizarre of the two, but still quite cool!

Haven't gotten the nerve enough to pull the trigger on one of those ---- yet.

Thanks for sharing!
    sam

3. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout SotM Winner Subscriber

I too am a BIG admirer of Borde. From the research I've done Borde made three models. The larger of yours was the latest and greatest and came out sometime in the mid 50's. The first Borde stove (not shown) had a burner bell and was offered here in the states in the early 50's. REI advertised the original model in several of their catalogs beginning in 1953 and as late as the mid 60's. No photos just drawings and I suspect they were poor sellers in the states.
    Your "virgin" Borde must have been the second iteration of the BOMB series. It's small like the original but closer in design to the final design. Based on the patents I suspect the second iteration was only around for a few years.

A few years ago there were dozens of the final design Bomb (just like yours) on EBay that were sold out of Colorado. Each stove was mint and unused and the owner was smart and sold only one per week. The prices hovered around $200 which was a lot but I had to have one. I asked the seller how he got 'em. His response: Sometime in the 50's there was a case of these stoves sent to a warehouse in Colorado. Back in Switzerland, the Borde family while traveling by train was killed in an avalanche. The account was never settled with the retailer so they sat in that warehouse for 50-60 years. Eventually someone else took over that space and took ownership. Talk about an early Christmas....
    Yours are nice examples of early mountaineering stoves! I have a similar pair and would love to fill the trifecta.
    Happy Hunting! MT :lol:

4. Chef BC

MT, Thank you for your input, a fascinating and tragic story both at the same time. There are photos by a member on this site of an early Borde with the bell burner in use and cranking out a beautiful blue flame. I am not sure why but this (these) stoves have a certain simple functionality that appeals to the old broken down mountaineer that I am. If I were still climbing and needed to cook, I would pack one of these.
    Sam, Ya gotta get one!!!
    Chef BC/Harold

5. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi Chef, these Borde's are fine little stoves! Doc Mark has a nice trio of these with different pan supports. My user one came in the box but no pan supports nor adjusting tool so I made a support in aluminium, and use an old bicycle spoke as flame adjuster. My second one is still new, and was (I believe) made by the company that took over production from Borde. You can use it in the Swiss Army Volcano (also a Borde design if I'm not mistaken). Priming these is kind of a special procedure :whistle: , not everyone likes to do it. I think it was Hiking Jim (sorry if I'm mistaken) who came with a simple yet effective sollution (which I am using myself now, thanks very much O:) ); using a small tray (I use the lid from a small paint can) filled with meths under the coils.
    I am sure you'll just love using this little one! :D/

All the best,

Wim

6. Chef BC

Wim,
    I believe I have seen your post about your Borde stoves on this site somewhere, highly informative and entertaining it was. I have been considering a Volcano but these have become exceptionally hard to find in this country where just under 10 years ago, there were shelves nearly overflowing with Swiss Volcano cookers in local surplus stores. I used a similar method of preheating as Hikin' Jim has; with a survival Wet Fire cooker, (LINK) that has a small beer bottle sized tray that I filled with alcohol. I hate soot! :x This stove will fun to use and I have found an empty welding rod tube to store it in when I pack. Off to the mountains now! 8) :D/

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  7. hikin_jim

Well, I'm glad someone has found my Borde priming technique useful -- even if other stovies did call me a "sissy" back then. :lol:

There's a Borde post I'm looking for, the one that says that Borde stoves are now out of production. Does anyone have a link to that post? I can't find it anywhere.

HJ

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  8. Chef BC

Jim,
    I can't find the exact post here that mentions the current manufacturer of the Borde Bomb stopping production but it may be on some other non-stove site. :whistle:
    In the meantime please enjoy the few links I did find about "Bordeology"
    Topic 12688
    https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/18
    ]Borde Field Flask[/url]
    Backpacking Light forum
    Some of the names and faces are of people we all know and love!
    Could it be the Japanese may buy the design rights to the Borde and produce them?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  9. hikin_jim

I don't know why I can't find the "Bordes discontinued" link here on the site. I'm certain it was posted here on CCS.

I think the Japanese have already been producing Bordes, but they're more DIY projects and not for sale. Perhaps a Japanese company will pick up the torch so to speak now. The Borde seems popular in Japan, at least I recall seeing Bordes for sale in Japan when I was there last October.

HJ

10. yetlet

Hallo! Can someone(s) pleez! give are guide me to the history of the little "crossbow" mark on the flat end of the tank, usually slightly above and between the places where the tubing coil connects to the tank? I've admired and been around these since about 1958, hiking, climbing, backpacking, XC skiing...and now car or motel camping and highway cicycling...usually oatmeal, these days, and teas or coffeesI roasted and ground on the spot. In so many ways admirable! -Outrageous, iconic, totally dependable... :)

11. shueilung.2008

shueilung.2008 Subscriber

12. shueilung.2008

shueilung.2008 Subscriber

13. Beni

14. yetlet

These 2 references are a TREMENDOUS HELP! for my search! THANK YOU 'ever so much'!
    - and now, I would VERY MUCH LIKE to become caretaker-owner of a 'virgen 'model Borde. Can a kind soul please help me do this, basicaly parting with (one of) theirs?