The Brothers Borde: Part Two!

Discussion in 'Borde' started by Doc Mark, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, Friends,

Well, my "Brothers Borde" thread sure took an odd number of turns, didn't it??!! :doh: :roll: :D 8)

So, rather than tack this part onto what's already been posted, I decided to add a "Part Two". Here are some shots of my original Borde stove, plus one that I got on "the bay of Evil" a while back, joined by my most recent Borde, bought from a fellow CCS Stovie, on "the bay"! Here are all three of these neat stoves, together for a family photo session.

On the left, you can see the original Borde, found many years ago, at "that same old swap meet"! The box is a bit tattered with age, but it came with the instructions, and adjustment rod. The Borde on the right, came with the neat folding case/pot support/storage box, and works wonderfully! The Borde in the middle is the new one. Big surprise, right?!! ;) 8) :D Yeah, it's still a Virgin, and very well may remain so, though the temptation to fire it up is definitely there!! But, I will keep it in brand new condition, and see how things feel as time passes. New box, new instructions, and new adjustment rod. In the background, you can see the Swiss Ranger cookset, which I hogged out to fit my original Borde, as per the original instructions. So, here, you can see all three of the ways in which Borde stoves are used! Neat!

1259811304-DSCN1694_opt.jpg

Here is a photo of the original folding windscreen, which came with my new Borde. I also have one that was custom-made by our old Friend, Canadian Burner, who has not been around too much, lately. His folding windscreen is actually nicer than the Borde original, and it's lighter, too. But, I couldn't find it for this photo session, as it's still packed up from our last CA Stove Gathering, Looks the same in design, just more "sweet", and to tell the truth, better executed than the original Borde product. Way to go, CB!! :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

1259811319-DSCN1696_opt.jpg

Last, here are a few shots to show the family resemblance, and also a few things that vary from one stove to the other. Note the burner angles on all three Bordes! Three different Bordes, three different burner angles!

1259811336-DSCN1697_opt.jpg

Back when I got my second Borde, I thought the original one would outperform it, as it's burner is much more straight. Guess what? I was wrong! The angle of the burner doesn't seem to make much difference, in actual practice. So that old business about "the angle of the dangle", is just an Old Wive's Tale, Lads!! ;) 8) :lol:

1259811364-DSCN1698_opt.jpg

Last, but not least, a "Borde Fan"! You will note that my second Borde is in need of an adjustment rod, as that part had gone missing before it ever came to live in the Hobbit Hole. I'll either order one, if that is possible, or make one, one of these days. Until then, I feel very blessed to now own three of these outstanding little Borde Stoves!!

1259811390-DSCN1699_opt.jpg

If you don't have one, yet, I'd say get busy and find one for yourself! They are just odd-ball enough that you will fall in deep lust with your own Borde, after you get the hang of priming and firing it up!! ;) ;) :D :lol: :lol: Thanks for coming to visit my Brothers Borde, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. jenspetter 123

Hi Doc

The brothers seems to have a good time together.
    Borde stoves are great stoves and almost bulletproof,but you need to know the "drill" to light them. :mrgreen:
    My Borde is missing the pot stand (windscreen)and are still unfired in its box. :lol:

Regards

Jens

3. VooDuuChild

I'm somehow now Borde with this thread....oh my, that was pretty bad!

hahaha
    nice Bordes!

4. hydro451

Hi Doc,

Love your Bordes of course, but if you'll send me about 200-300 bucks I'll get one ;) :whistle: :? :( Just kidding , I would love one , but dawg gone they are so expensive !

Thanks for posting yours - at least I can live vicariously through yours :mrgreen: :lol: :)

Tom

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, Tom,

Actually, if you spend some shoe leather, looking around, you might be surprised at how cheaply you can score a nice little Borde. My first came to me for $35, at "that same old Swap Meet". My second, which I got this past year, was priced just the same, $35. I paid "high Cotton" for the newest one, but that was because I was trying to help a fellow Stovie in need, and not to actually score the stove. My pockets aren't deep enough for such reckless abandon!! But, once in a while, I can, and do, spend some coin on a fun stove, like this new Borde. The "cause" was worth my having spent the money, in any case.

Keep looking, and don't give up. One very well might be in your future!! ;) 8) :D :D :thumbup: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

6. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Good afternoon Doc very nice little trio a little while ago i was a bit put of with these on safety grounds but since the last thred if you rember you convinced me how safe and how good these little stoves are and if the price was right i whould snap one up. many thanks Doc for showing them :clap:

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hello, Brian,

Thank you, very much, Sir! I used to be scared to use my original Borde stove, just like you. But, after reading about Dave Gibson's Borde usage, and after finally getting up enough nerve to put my fear to rest, I soon found that the Borde's widespread "reputation" for being the "Borde Bomb" were completely unfounded in fact. Sure, there are, I'm certain, some folks that can misuse ANY stove and cause horrible problems. But, the Borde is a very safe stove, when used properly, and I no longer worry about they "blowing up on me"!! ;) 8) :D :lol: :lol: Best of luck, Brian, and if you want, I will try to keep an eye peeled for a good price on one of those little Guys for you. Just let me know.... And, remember, such hunts may, or many not, come to fruition. But, the more eyes you have looking for you, the better your chances of scoring your stove, eh?!! ;) :thumbup: Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

8. hikin_jim

Doc, I don't suppose you ever posted a copy of those Borde instructions anywhere on CCS did you? I looked a bit but didn't see anything. Love to see a copy.

HJ

9. Knight84

Hello Jim

Here is one copy
    Link

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  10. hikin_jim

Fabulous. Thank you, Jeff. I've seen poor copies of those instructions before, but this version is clear enough that I can actually read the instructions.

So, about 2cm is the correct distance from the pot to the burner. Good to know. My GI cup stand is definitely not a proper fit (I didn't think it was).

Apparently any "cooker" with a 6 x 6 cm opening is safe to use. Interesting. I guess excessive heat feedback isn't quite as dangerous as it is with something like a Svea 123 or similar. With a Svea 123 like stove, I worry about using something like a windscreen lest I overload the SRV and have the flaming fireball of death come shooting out.

The Borde is stainless steel. I guess Borde has great confidence in the strength of the welding on the coils and body of the stove. It's sort of a "heat it as much as you like; it won't break" philosophy. I hope the company's welding person wasn't having a bad day when he made my particular stove. :shock:

HJ

11. Knight84

Hi Jim,

Yeah I believe stainless steel isn't as good a heat conductor as brass. Brass can't take the heat and pressure as well as SS. Plus there is a difference between welds and solder.
    The Coleman 527 burner is really close to the fuel tank but doesn't seem to bother it.

Jeff

12. hikin_jim

SS definitely isn't as good of a heat conductor, although I suspect that given enough time and enough heat, it'll conduct enough to get the job done -- as evidenced by the Borde stove's output.

And, yes, welded steel is going to be a lot stronger than soldering or brazing. Let's just hope it's strong enough! I'd rather not be the one to demonstrate that the nickname Borde "bomb" is well earned. :shock:

HJ

13. RonPH

HJ sez
    Try sticking a magnet to the tank of the borde, I know they are just nickel plated and the picture of the cut out borde's innard
    Ron

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  14. hikin_jim

Ron,

Are Borde stoves nickle plated brass? Is that what you're saying? I assumed that they were stainless, but I guess it could be just well aged nickle plate.

Wow, then how is it that they can stand so much heat and pressure?

HJ

15. RonPH

HJ click on the link above to see for yourself.

Ron

16. hikin_jim

Saw the link the first time. Looks like plated brass, but who knows? My eyesight doesn't allow me to make a positive ID. Wish I could read the text, but it's a mess.

HJ