The Introduction of Trangia to the UK

Discussion in 'Manufacturers' started by Retro Camper, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Retro Camper

Retro Camper Subscriber

Back in this post I had discovered that Karrimor were the importers of Trangia to the UK and in 1972 they were the first distributor outside Sweden. Karrimor were a well respected company and brand based in Lancashire and had originated from making cycling luggage (panniers, saddle bags etc). By the 1960s they were primarily known for their rucksacks but also involved in many other "soft" items of equipment and clothing. Their driving force was Mike Parsons, who was involved in product development as well as running the business.

I managed to contact Mike and asked him about how Trangias first came to be imported to the UK and whether he had a hand in the design of the Trangia 28. The Mini Trangia was developed in 1985 for mountain marathons and, as Mike ran the original and biggest event of this type, it seems likely the idea came from him. He sent me the attached article, which was originally written last autumn for the owners of Trangia. Mike has given me permission to publish it, together with his email address and asked that attention is drawn to his website. He has published a couple of very detailed books on outdoor equipment and tells me he is working on the history of outdoor stoves (I mentioned that this site is a good starting point).

BTW despite following it up I never got an answer about the Mini Trangia. I also asked Mike about the date of his trip to Sweden when he first saw Trangias but that didn't come back on that although he clarified that he bought one in Stockholm and then subsequently ordered six test sets direct from Trangia. Despite allowing his email address to be published (it is available online elsewhere) I suspect Mike wouldn't appreciate being bombarded with questions about Trangia or Karrimor.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  2. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Great read! Not much Mike doesn't know about gear! I've had the pleasure to meet him at several Karrimor International Mountain Marathon's & bought my OMM Villain pack directly from him & also Ken Ledward of KLETS (Ken Ledward Equipment Testing Services) who used to set up the checkpoints for the Saunders Lakeland Mountain Marathon years ago. Both legends in my book!

3. TRA_A United Kingdom

Thanks, I always wondered why Trangias appeared so late in the Uk after their invention...

Discovered by accident it seems rather than Trangia seeking to expand their market it seems. A pity it didn't appear earlier in UK.