The kindness of friends.

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by kerophile, Dec 17, 2015.

1. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, I recently received a gift of a rare outer silent burner cap for my French Rexus stove.

I have had this stove for many years, but fitted with a generic cap, as it arrived naked. A good stove friend found this Rexus cap on another make of stove, and offered to send it to me:

P1010517.jpg P1010519.jpg P1010516.jpg P1010518.jpg

Thanks to a CCS Friend I now have a completed stove.

Many Thanks, Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

2. kerry460

kerry460 Australia R.I.P.

good friends are wonderful

kerry

3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Yes, that's really nice to have someone else think of you.

Ken in NC

4. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

It completes the stove very nicely.

5. Wim

Wim Subscriber

6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Morning, Kerophile,

What a wonderful gift, and to a very deserving, and kind recipient, too! Well done, all around! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

7. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

What are the chances of someone coming across a REXUS cap and knowing you needed one! That's about 1 in a million. Good for you! The stove looks great!

Ben

8. nmp

nmp United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Anybody got an Optimus No.9 to go with the cap I have? :whistle:

Nick:lol:

9. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

10. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Nick, you're second on the list. :)
    Duane

11. itchy

Some nice folks in this corner of the world.

12. exeter_yak

Hello friends and fellow collectors, I noticed this post whilst trying to show a coworker the interesting nature of CCS today at work, so decided to chime in here. It has been a while since I have been here.
    So........Once upon a time... a long time ago, I had been trying to get an Opti Model 1 travelling type stove. I was out-sniped at auction a few times, and then lo and behold it showed up titled "mining lamp". Finally ! The stove was incomplete and I sent a photo after receiving it to Kerophile. He mentioned that he had gifted Kaw550red a winged rise tube that was the one needed for my Opti 1 and that I should ask Bryan about it. It was in the post shortly after that (a double gifted stove part...). Many thanks yet again George (and others too) for being so generous.
    Cheers,
    DW Massachusetts, US

13. snwcmpr

I, myself, have received care packages from you, Doug. You, too are as generous as those generous to you.

I remember when I got my first classic stove. George was there to help me figure out what I needed. And a package came from
    And it was not the only one.

Ken in NC

14. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Greetings, Doug!!

What a wonderful surprise, seeing you back at CCS and posting!!! I lovely Christmas gift to us, my friend!!

I, too, have received the benefit of your kindness and largess, and still use the goodies that you sent my way. You were also very willing to make several rare and much-needed goodies for some of my old stoves, and I have never forgotten your very kind and generous help!! Many of us, here at CCS, have continued the excellent sharing and giving that you always exhibited here, Doug, and so your legacy here continues to reap benefits for members whom you've never met!

SB and I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas, and a super happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year, and please do drop in here from time to time, when your schedule will allow it. You are greatly missed, my friend, and I'm still hoping to attend one of the North-East Stove Gatherings, and share that with you and the other fine Gentlemen and Ladies that attend that fun event! Take care, Doug, and as always, God Bless you and yours!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark (Ye Olde Doc)

15. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Great to see you here again, Doug!

For some reason, drop-forging immediately sprang to mind when I saw your post.....

16. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Doug, your visit to CCS is a Christmas present!
    Great to hear from you, and I hope you and yours are all well.
    Your posts are still in regular use on CCS. All we need now is visits from yourself.
    Best Regards,
    George.

17. exeter_yak

Thank you all very much for the heartwarming compliments and welcome back messages. Each one elicits a smile here, and now I'm a bit lost for the correct words to suit the responses received.

To keep on topic I should mention that the number of goodies that George and others surprised me with over the years is quite amazing. I have always been taken aback when a whole stove (or a particular part, but stoves in particular) appears in the post out of the blue from someone like George, or another collector perhaps, with a classically well written note that says something like - "I trust you are well. I found this stove and thought you should have it". Insert a laugh here, as this may have happened to you as well. My favorite is maybe this one:- "I just read this book and I thought you would like to read it.......it costs too much to ship it to you so I sent you Paypal funds for one ......it's available on Amazon so please purchase it and enjoy". This tactic surely deserves a descriptive name, so maybe it should be: Classic Stealth Gifting

Thank you all again.....and Merry Chrismas or other appropriate Holiday Cheer
    Doug W.

18. snwcmpr

A new phrase to be added to my toolbox. :lol::lol:

Ken in NC

19. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

@exeter_yak I'm too new around here to have dealt with you directly Doug, but the number of times that people have asked after you whilst you've been away are testament to the good impression you clearly left on this community. I'm very glad to see you have remained interested and have been trying to inspire others in our addictive hobby.
    All the best to you and all of the members here for Christmas and the New Year.
    John

20. exeter_yak

Thanks John, its good to be back and I do still love those stoves.
    Doug