The perfect stove?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by chancho, Sep 29, 2010.

1. chancho

The perfect stove...

What features are a must?

What would be nice to have but could live without?

Something you dislike about current (past/present) stoves?

Just pondering these question and figured I might ask for others opinions.

2. RonPH

It depends on the purpose you will be using it, so many factors; car camping or backpacking; minimal assembly time or don't mind a bit of assembling, lightweight or otherwise; so there ar lots of things to consider and you will get a lot of opinions. Browse through the forum and you will get an idea of stoves modern or older than you perhaps all have different purpose.

Welcome

Ron

3. John

This is from the perspective of a short- and long-trail backpacker. For this purpose I keep coming back to my Svea 123. Utterly reliable, nearly indestructible, no fussy little parts to break, no extended fuel lines to leak, no floppy tinfoil windscreens, no "field maintenance" kits (hah! try doing that in the dark on a rainy night!), works well under most all conditions, withstands all kinds of abuse and comes back for more.

I've been tempted many times by the siren song of newer, cooler stoves (XGK, Whisperlite, Nova, etc.), and they have their points, but sooner or later they've all failed me. And there's never a good time for a stove to fail you out on the trail. The Svea's a little heavier than more modern stoves (but not by much) and won't burn a wide variety of fuels (but will burn unleaded in a pinch, tho' that's not really recommended), but in the bigger picture those are minor nit-picks. So no, it's not the perfect stove - there's always a compromise somewhere - but if those two could be addressed, that would be pretty close to perfect, I'd think. Maybe also if there was some way to guarantee that it won't get snarfed up at airport security, too.

As for features - fewer of 'em, I say! The dependability and simplicity of the Svea design (and of other similarly designed stoves) outweighs the nominal advantages of other stoves for backpacking purposes, especially longer hauls.

For the record, I also use a homemade beercan alky stove, but that's more for heating than true "cooking" with a stove.

PS - if hiking in a larger group, say 4 or more, much of the above also applies to the larger/heavier Optimus stoves (8, 111, etc.). The design principles are pretty much along the same lines, and with the same results.

4. rafael1633

Hi Chancho,

I must admit I really like my Primus Omnifuel. It'll burn everything except spirits, but I stick to white gas. Never got a clog after all these years.

But I always carry a second stove (an SVEA 123r or Optimus 8r). Both work really great, simmer quite good, never clog and run on white gas, wich I prefer as fuel.

For unknown reasons, I don't like too much LP gas stoves (I like to "play" with liquid fuel stoves). But I must admit that if you're backpacking and have gas canister retailers nearby, it's really difficult not to choose this kind of stove. They're smaller than any other kind and as reliable as any other.

I won't comment alcohol stove, including trangia. Trangia is a well thought stove, but I don't really think that it's suitable to cook a meal. Perhaps if you're just boiling water and have time to spend... However, many people may disagree on this.

So, if you're going to an exotic remote place and will need to buy fuel there, consider a modern multifuel, although you also have good reliable old style options like the Optimus 111 Triple Fuel.

If you have to pack light, gas stoves are nearly unbeatable, although most people here (including myself) would happily accept the extra weight of a brass stove.

If these are not the case, I'd consider and old good sized brass stove like Optimus 00 or Primus 210, or even a smaller 96 stove if you like kerosene, or a Svea 123r or Optimus 8r if you prefer white gas.

Rafael

5. hikin_jim

Also from the perspective of a backpacker:

I can't argue very much with a Svea 123. Rock solid stove; works every time.

For quick, short Summer trips, the Svea is a little heavy and bulky; there are lighter, more compact options. In the summer in good weather, I use an Optimus Crux that I like very much. Sometimes, at least for me, it's nice to go on short backpacks carrying a just a day pack and go really light, and the Crux's size and weight fits the bill. An alcohol stove would also work but is generally impermissible here in Southern California due to fire regulations.

If I had to choose just one stove for my BP's, it probably would be the Svea 123, but it's nice to have a variety to call upon. In the last year or so, I've used the following on hikes:
    Svea 123
    Optimus Crux
    Jetboil GCS
    Camping Gaz Globetrotter
    Camping Gaz Rando 360
    Camping Gaz S-206
    Camping Gaz HP470
    MSR XGK
    MSR Dragonfly
    MSR Whisperlite
    MSR Reactor
    Coleman Xpert
    Trangia 27
    ...and probably a few I've forgotten.

HJ

6. ted

1285802008-perfect_stove.jpg
    I know there's a stove around there somewhere but this is close enough to perfect for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  7. theyellowdog

Looks a little top heavy, it would need good legs

8. hikin_jim

Well, that certainly looks like a (ahem) hot stove.

HJ

9. Jaymo

Mein Gott!!!! That's a trophy rack, for sure. I love built-in personal flotation devices.

I think I'm going to have to cast my vote for the 123. No pump to wear out. Easy to make/replace wick. Easy/quick to preheat.
    Just wish I could get one in the same size as a Coleman 502

10. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

well at Xmas i always have turkey breast,
    but i don't think i could look her in the eye and ask for breast :oops:

11. Jaymo

Oh, I could. And I'd ask her for some turkey breast, too.

12. Lance

Lance Subscriber

So the question remains, could you ask for some "white meat" and not turn red in the face?

lance

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  13. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

i think i'd offer her some white meat and maybe ask if she'd like stuffing,,,,,paxo of course :whistle: :^o

14. Lance

Lance Subscriber

Soiled senior citizen you are, Parra lad.

lance

15. Lance

Lance Subscriber

Chancho: Spiritburner would tell you the perfect stove is one which has never failed him. His stove of choice is a triangia because it burns in all conditions where he has needed one and took the proper precautions to ensure it didn't fail.

lance

16. Jaymo

Trangias are really good. I just have 2 of the Swedish mess kits with the Trangia and I like it a lot. I've cooked fried eggs and toast with mine.

17. chancho

It was not my intent to figure out what the perfect stove currently is. It is more about what would you want in a non-existent hypothetical stove.

Maybe think of it like this...
    A major camping stove manufacturer asked for your opinions on the design of a new backpack stove.

(and no I don't work, I is a college student)

18. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

ok, if the 123 could burn any fuel, that would be the perfect stove!

sam

19. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Hmm.. MHO- It would be a hybrid of the 123, the XGK, and the Dragonfly... DO NOT ask me how they do it... ;) :lol:

20. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

For white gas, I'll take my Coleman 502 anyday, for sheer portability, very fast setup and breakdown for breaking camp, it's my Primus 2260 "grasshopper" stove, using the long Bernz-O-Matic style propane bottle.

Alright, it's a gassie, but a damn good one in my book, just wish the CO levels generated were lower for use inside of a tent!

Murph