The stink! Or, my new Coleman 530

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by fimbulvetr, Nov 26, 2021.

1. fimbulvetr Canada

I received a Coleman 530 I ordered in the mail recently. I've wanted one for a while, but I waited for a decent example that was made in Canada, complete, and was a decent price to show up. The one I bought is a 2 '47.

What almost 50 years of using Coleman stoves and lanterns exclusively with white gas didn't prepare me for, though, was the STINK of a stove that was run for decades on gasoline. Holy moly! The thing is eye-watering!

And the unbelievable amount of crud built up inside the thing, and the layer of stinky tar on the outside! The stove is in good shape, but the amount of work to de-stink it and clean all the guck out is incredible. Even the aluminum case/pot set reeks of gasoline. I've resorted to soaking some of external parts in a bath of TSP to break up the smelly tar.

I don't even think I will try to fire it up without replacing the generator first. The brass screen inside is so caked with goo that I can't pull it out, even after a nice soak in carb cleaner.

Any good advice on removing ancient gasoline crud?

2. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Not sure what was left in old lantern founts, but I've had very good results with lye crystals, using hot water which gets hotter when the lye is added. Now I mix it outside of the fount then pour into it. Being single, I can do this in my kitchen, using a gas burner on my range off and on to keep the solution very warm as long as I can for over 12-15 hours. I have even set the whole fount in lye to clean it up, but if the outside is good there is no need to do that. Neutralize the item when done in a weak vinegar solution. I'm amazed at what comes out.
    Duane

3. Daryl

Daryl United States SotM Winner Subscriber

I picked up a 550 with cook/storage case awhile back from a guy that was selling maybe a dozen of them on Ebay. Mine had bent grate and was missing two of the plastic feet which I replace from OCP. The stinky thing about this one was the kerosene smell. Kerosene and food don't pair well for me. I gave it a bath with simple green to help with its smell. Daryl sunny SoCal

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  4. John Eggert

Lye can be good to clean many parts, but lye corrodes aluminum very fast.

I've seen lye soap solutions eat holes in cheap aluminum pots overnight.

5. fimbulvetr Canada

The hot TSP solution seems to be doing the trick for de-stinking the external bits of the stove.

I rinsed out the innards many times with meths, and shook some steel slingshot ammo around inside to loosen up stuff (counting the number of steel balls I put in so I knew I got them all out with a magnet afterwards). So much crud in there.

It is much, much, less smelly now.

6. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

Always depressing when you open a fill cap and smell that smell................most times you don;t even need to remove the cap.

7. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

Meths won't do much to dissolve fuel varnish.

8. fimbulvetr Canada

I forgot to say I started off rinsing with white gas and carb cleaner. That seemed to dissolve a lot of stuff, given the thick layer of sediment in the jar I dumped it into.

9. SimonFoxxx

SimonFoxxx Subscriber

I urge people not to add lye (caustic soda or sodium hydroxide) to hot water for cleaning anything. Lye generates a lot of heat when dissolving in cold water. Put in hot water it may well boil and spit hot corrosive liquid into your eyes or on your skin. Very dangerous, please don't do this.

Cheers
    Simon Foxxx

10. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

I defended a lawsuit years back arising out of a workman adding caustic soda to hot water. The resulting explosion, or perhaps more accurately, eruption, permanently blinded him.

I agree with Simon.

11. SimonFoxxx

SimonFoxxx Subscriber

@EdWinskill,

There have been similar industrial accidents here in New Zealand, with complete loss of eyesight the outcome.

Cheers
    Simon Foxxx

12. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Yes. His work site had eye rinse stations. He used them but still too late. Dangerous stuff.

13. Stonehopper

Has ultrasonic cleaning been considered? Works wonders on gummed up carburettors.
    Some videos on the 'Tube' on how to construct one from orbital sanders (of all things).
    Size of parts might be an issue.