The Stove Faerie has paid me a Benzin - Brenner visit!

Discussion in 'Borde' started by taku, Sep 11, 2015.

1. taku

Truthfully, I did not think that I would ever find one, but I did, and only 250 miles from home!

I am now the delighted owner of a Borde Benzin - Brenner, or Bomb. Here is my little treasure!

Borde Box.jpg

It came with flame adjusting rod and brochures.

All parts.jpg

Here are some pictures of the brochures themselves. First, stove and accessories.

Operating instructions 1.jpg

Operating instructions in three languages.

Operating instructions 2.jpg

Operating instructions 3.jpg

Operating instructions 4.jpg

This brochures seems prepared specifically for the American audience.

Borde Brochure.jpg

I noticed in reading posts in the reference gallery, that there were many small variations in this model (which was apparently their final design), so here are a couple of pictures of the stove itself for reference...

Burner head.jpg

Borde Patent.jpg

Filler plug.jpg

And, of course, I had to give it a try...

Stove lit.jpg

Here it is in its new home.

Stove in Pot set.jpg

One observation regarding the pot set. The small pot rim looks like it has been chewed on by a squirrel because the gripper tends to deform the pot where it is formed to nest into the larger pot. Other than that, a great complement to the Borde stove.

Pot Set.jpg

I read in the Forum that dating these stoves is difficult. In this case there MAY be a clue. Here is a close up of the color brochure (which again, I thing was made specifically for the American market in English only)...

Brochue date.jpg

The number on the lower left suggests to me that 500 brochures were printed in March, of 1959, which would place the stove manufacture in the 1959 to early 1960's era. What do you think?

Don

2. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Very nice set Don. I guess when I see some of these without the rod or even the simple windscreen/pot support, I think something is missing. So with your kit, looks to be complete and a big bonus, the instructions. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to rethink my opinion of these. Just what I need, another stove.
    Duane

3. Hazet

The paperwork is really great. Thanks for posting that.

4. tetley

that's a great panset/windshiled.

5. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

So, that is what my flask set is for!!!!

6. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

there aint no stove fairy! sorry to break it to you

it was the stove pixies what did it, but be warned - they are capricious, being cousins to the leprechauns you don't want to pee them off

or you spacious abode will become a network of tunnels between thousands of stoves stacked from floor to ceiling

7. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

Thank you for posting the paperwork. I have a Borde Bomb exactly like yours but without a pot stand to cook on. Your pan set look like just the thing. Do you know who makes it?

8. taku

Z1ulike - The pan set was made by Sigg, probably back in the 60's. You can make a simpler pot support using the example Doc Mark posted some time ago. I am going to contact a friend to help me make one for those day trips when I just want a snack & coffee.

I must confess, I don't have the guts to lite this stove the way it recommends - fire conditions being what they are on the left coast of the U.S. I made a small priming cup to slide under the burner to lite.

9. janders

janders Subscriber

Works great to use the flask cooker on the last picture as well (e.g. one day trip and a hot soup). Those flask cookers can still be found relatively cheap on eBay.