Theroz Mess/Cook Kit.

Discussion in 'Military' started by cottage hill bill, Oct 2, 2019.

1. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

The military connection here in tenuous but primarily because of the ad I'm posting it here.
    The Theroz Mess Kit used solidified alcohol cubes as fuel. The company owned a couple of patents for this fuel and was apparently an early user of this system. In 1922 they filed a lawsuit against Sterno for patent infringement. During WWI a great number of items were marketed for private purchase by officers who had to furnish their own kit, or family to send to serving soldiers. The Theroz Mess Kit was one of those items. Never an issue item, post-war it was marketed as a camping accessory.
    lid.jpg
    lay out.jpg
    Base support in center, then clockwise from 9 o'clock, pot support, two cook pots, lid/fry pan, burner for fuel cubes (shown upside down), fuel container, spoon/pot holder, coffee cup. The cook pots hold one pint.
    Theroz stacked from ad.jpg
    Recommended use, coffee in the bottom pot, soup in the second pot and beans in the lid. Once the coffee and soup are hot the pots are removed and the lid moved closer to the heat to finish cooking.
    stacked with sigg.jpg
    Here it is stacked next to a Sigg Tourist. Because the lower cook pot suspends from its rim it is a bit more compact than the Sigg. Below, a view of the nested kit with the Sigg.
    stacked with sigg.jpg
    full ad.jpg
    Guy Empey was a U.S. soldier who joined the British army as a private in 1915. Wounded early in the Somme campaign he was medically discharged. He wrote of his experience in the book "Over the Top". The book was popular in the US in 1917, selling about 1/4 million copies. He attempted to re-enlist in the U.S. army but was deemed medically unfit because of his wounds.

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@cottage hill bill

I LOVE it!!! And, as far as I'm concerned, the connection to the Military is strong enough for inclusion here!! Well done!!

Doc

3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Way cool.
    Except for the boiling coffee. :)

4. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

I didn’t know that. Great to have that detail.
    His letter to the company endorsing the product is included in the advertisement.

5. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

I have a number of private soldier's memoirs from WWI and Over the Top is on of the better ones. My interest in WWI is much more on the individual than the great strategic and political themes. There were a lot of books written in the '20s by ex-soldiers. Robert Graves and Sigfrid Sassoon are probably the best known ones but the others are often more honest and enlightening.