Thompson Ritchie 3 pint boiling set. 1900-14 period.

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by igh371, Jul 14, 2019.

1. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

DSC08911.JPG
    Through the Edwardian period, and on up until the outbreak of WW1, alcohol spirit burning boiling sets became very popular picnic accessories with the English upper-middle classes. The Thompson Ritchie boiling set was one of the 'higher-end' offerings. In their case Thompson Ritchie twinned one of their unique fast boil copper kettles with one of the 'deluxe' model proprietary French alcohol burner bases. This is an unfired 3 pint outfit.

The flame can be regulated by raising or lowering a cylindrical shield, using the reservoir top adjuster knob, to either uncover or shroud a second row of burner jet holes:
    DSC08909.JPG DSC08905.JPG DSC08906.JPG

The burner unit has a detachable perforated windshield:
    DSC08902.JPG DSC08910.JPG DSC08903.JPG

This being an unfired outfit it has enabled me to find the answer to a question which has puzzled me regarding the slack fit of the burner on other similar outfits that I have seen. What I find here is a second wick, a wick sock, sleeved on to the outside of the main burner unit in addition to the main internal wadding wick:
    DSC08907.JPG DSC08908.JPG
    I presume that the outer 'sock' wick will be an aid in lighting up/ priming, but it also steadies the otherwise quite loose burner. Unfortunately I am drawing blanks so far in trying to source an equivalent new sleeve to fit to my other T-R burner unit.
    DSC08904.JPG
    The kettle is fully presented in this link, and there is also a second example of the 3 pint outfit here.

The flame pattern? Well this is from my other burner, the one above remains unfiredO:):
    DSC06622.JPG DSC06625.JPG

@snwcmpr

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Very nice. Mine was apparently well used.

3. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Very nice Ian. :thumbup::thumbup:

4. rik_uk3

Very nice indeed:)