Thompson Ritchie kettle clone, 'Army & Navy'. (Edwardian/WW1 period)

Discussion in 'Stove Paraffinalia' started by igh371, Aug 14, 2020.

1. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

DSC09779.JPG
    A clone of the famous Thompson and Ritchie kettle, made for and sold by the London Army and Navy Co-operative Store! A very, very, close copy of the original Thompson & Ritchie 2½ pint kettle, and seemingly even sold in combination with a same French manufacture 'de luxe' spirit stove as often found with the Thompson Ritchies! But this does not appear to be a differently badged Thompson Ritchie kettle, there are some significant small differences compared to all of the genuine Thompson Ritchies that I have seen.

The vent on the filler cap is notably smaller: DSC09780.JPG

The tops of the boiler tubes are also smaller in diameter, here is 'Army & Navy' on the left, TR on the right:
    DSC09784.JPG

But on the base the 'Army & Navy' kettle's boiler tubes have a slightly wider bore opening, so overall the degree of taper in the tubes is significantly greater; here again it is 'Army & Navy' on left:
    DSC09785.JPG

I have seen a manufacturing number on the base of a TR kettle, but not within a circular as here:
    DSC09781.JPG

The actual manufacturer is identified only as 'CSL':
    DSC09782.JPG DSC09783 (3).jpg DSC09786.JPG

I have not managed to find an Army & Navy Store catalogue which shows this offering, but there must be one out there somewhere!

@presscall

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  2. Wim

Wim Subscriber

@igh371 Hi Ian,lovely kettle! Do you think the system was effective in saving fuel/faster boiling? If so, the "copy" with its conical tubes looks like the better of the two. The ones with the "heat exchanger" at the bottom seems to be the best though (the one you so kindly gave to me at Newark some years ago has boiled many a gallon of water to make coffee and do dish washing at our Living History events and on camping holidays!)
    Are these kettles easy to find? (Not so over here!) I only seem to find flat bottomed kettles, maybe a different tradition of cooking, dunno.

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
  4. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx Subscriber

Oh my...I like that a lot! Nice one. :)

Alex