thoughts on a New Zealand gathering

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by geeves, Jun 17, 2014.

1. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

From another thread

How I wish we had enough collectors here in NZ to have a similar event. Nice photos and I look forward to seeing more. Thanks for posting them on site.

I recon we do have enough for a small event.
    How about Anzac weekend next year. Only question is where do we run it? My thoughts would be either Picton or Wellington as it means those from the other island can walk onto the ferry cutting costs
    Are you a starter?

now you have got me thinking. Perhaps Waitangi day for warmer weather might be more preferable. I would have thought you would want to bring a vehicle over on the ferry in order to bring the collection along
    Picton or Queen Charlotte Sound have camping grounds. If there was enough interest shown then the event could held in alternative islands each year. Be interested to know if other stovies surface for comment on the idea.

Now the questions raised are
    Is there enough interest? Lets see who answers

Where do we hold it? Obviously Wellington and Picton have the advantage of being close to the ferry so it is possible to walk onto the ferry even if that does limit the portion of collection you bring. Both have good camping grounds.
    When? 2 options already above but all options are still open.
    Shall we form a committee?

2. SimonFoxxx

SimonFoxxx Subscriber

I would be interested in a stove event; could be a lot of fun. :lol: :content:

Simon Foxxx
    Christchurch

3. geeves

so far that makes a total of 3. Going to be a big event

4. cazna

I would like to go but the reality for me is I have a family to house and feed, I wouldn't have the many hundreds spare required to go, That's a lot of food I could buy, In this day and age and if a ferry crossing was involved I just couldn't do it, Travel = costs. Great idea though, It would be cool.

5. theyellowdog

I am unlikely to attend, but you never know. My health is not 100%. I do hope it does go ahead. I have enjoyed meeting a few members here over the years.

6. geeves

With 3 from south island and only me so far in the north I would vote for a Picton campout. I can see my tramping pack being very heavy that weekend as I would leave my car in wellington and walk onto the ferry at $55 not $280 each way.
    Lets keep this thread going a little while longer and see if we can find a plan everyone can aford

7. n2666s

n2666s Subscriber

wish I could go :(
    Lou

8. odonata

Given the cost involved you would want to have a long weekend for value for money. Best period for fine warm weather seems to be from Feb - April these days. Perhaps the stovies from the island of choice could collect those from the ferry terminal who don't bring a vehicle?

9. geeves

Thats why Wellington and Picton are so attractive. Wellington even better as its a short walk to the campground from home.

10. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Hey Guys

If it is possible for a meet to take place, then just do it.
    If it is only two or three of you, it will still be worthwhile.
    You will be able to meet and make long-lasting friendships and be able to post lots of photos here on CCS.
    Then if you plan one for the next year you are likely to get more people at the meet.

Newark in the UK is a big event, but years ago it started out quite small.

Good luck with your planning.

11. Mollymo

Great idea Geeves, I may be keen. All depends on time and place, plus being able to get the required time off work.Hmmm, hear what others are saying too regarding travel costs here in NZ. Perhaps could be an option to put feelers out there with an aim to holding separate meets in each island. i.e. starting off small as suggested and progressing to a stage where it may be more feasible to share costs (car pool) and travel inter island when ther are greater numbers/members keen? Personally I am based in Hamilton....but love Picton and the Marlborough Sounds so would still consider the South Island as an option. :content:

12. Sedgman

How has this progressed please? I think an Australian one also would be useful. if you have one and its camping and cheap and enough notice is provided I'd be interested but could not bring anything much because of the hassles involved.

13. geeves

Shsh its sleeping
    With only 7 NZ people participating in the discussion it didnt go any further.
    How many attend other gatherings?

14. Albatross

Albatross Subscriber

Add one more South Island spotted Kiwi to the list of stovies who would be keen share some light

15. Robtz

Robtz Subscriber

Geeves, I'm a maybe, and as I've posted on the UK gathering thread for 2018, I'm afraid it depends on how the next couple of months pan out. Don't let the thread die I may yet be a starter.
    Rob

16. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

This brings to mind something I've been thinking about lately. That is, we don't seem to have any backcountry action reports from the Kiwis in a long time. Not to say that I may not have missed or forgotten some.

But we're always showing off our mountains and rivers and trees on our hikes, and I know NZ has a lot of that.

We've gotten a fair number of Oz reports, with central campsites and bushwhacking forays. We get a goodly number of Brit treks.

One of my longtime interests is trees, and I know a fair amount about northern hemisphere trees. As you know, I show trees often in my excursion reports.

I know NZ has some amazing trees. Anybody got any hiking pix that show them?

17. geeves

I take my camera then forget to take it out to take pictures

18. Robtz

Robtz Subscriber

@Ed Winskill Trees? We have a few here. I'll try and post some up of a recent and not so recent trip.

@geeves - Yes, catchpole is as you say, as good as Kaitoke. Kaitoke has my thumbs up as the ranger closes the park at night, the sites are bookable, some facilities are provided and there is no through/side main road along with the disturbance that causes.