Tilley CS56 stove questions

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by hikerduane, May 25, 2022.

1. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

What is the purpose of the hole in the shround/windshield of the stove? Can't be a lighting hole. All the buttons are in place. Also, the brass screen instead of a solid flame spreader? Sounds more like a blow lamp (blow torch) than a stove, or maybe a combo. I had some extra parts from my fire bowl, so was able to get the stove going. Starting to burn all blue now since the photo.
    Duane
    20220525_115220.jpg

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

In THIS post I wrote
    With gauze

0B723BE1-65BA-436B-BB4A-ACFA78159D4C.jpeg

Without it, but with reduced fuel pressure

0D605CCC-4DF7-4271-909F-7FE462EEF798.jpeg

Do you mean this cut-out Duane?

3B79F166-F469-4CFE-8269-E746005A8BFA.jpeg

It’s to ensure the lighting torch is accommodated inside the windscreen when burning and not bellow it, where the windscreen wouldn’t shelter it.

John

3. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Thank you, was thinking a little along that line about the notch, and easier to light the torch. There is yet a solo hole I was still wondering about.
    I noticed the flame seems to lift away from the burner very little and thought too the screen might aid in maintaining the flame. Guess my thoughts are on the right track.
    I have a little leak out of the control cock shaft, the spot is between off and full on, with a slight leak in the closed position also upon shutdown with a pressurized fount. I've read that the knob should unscrew but it is pretty tight, don't want to destroy it.
    Duane

4. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

This hole, knob.
    Duane
    20220526_062316.jpg
    20220526_062340.jpg

5. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

I think it is in fact a lighting hole. It’s directly outboard from the vapouriser tube heating jets. These.

1444C627-0042-44BF-B5B3-E1F7531B8CEB.jpeg

CCF1A18D-A79F-4540-8FCA-5478D9CF4641.jpeg

Yes, the lighting torch (priming cup in my modification) can be timed to ignite those jets before the priming charge burns out, but if it burns out a match in the hole is a sure way to light the burner, particularly in windy conditions.

9B7D61C1-FB75-4315-A5A1-EB03A8C1DF51.jpeg

D739B0D4-0D1C-485C-A0ED-8C9DA5A16690.jpeg

Regarding the control knob removal, this is the method I use. The control spindle locks up on the cam, so the narrow, smooth-jawed pliers aren’t a necessity to prevent the spindle from rotating while unscrewing the knob anti-clockwise. However, it’s a refinement I like to adopt to prevent putting pressure on the cam or twisting the spindle.

Incidentally, the knob has a threaded brass core, so thankfully doesn’t have fragile threads formed in the bakelite, which makes it a pretty robust component unlikely to fragment on removal.

John

6. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Thank you, would have been my guess being a lighting hole, forgot about those little jets, thought those strange. Didn't want to mess up the spindle for the control cock, so Vise Grips with leather would have been my choice, thank you for guidance.
    The "V" cut outs in the burner screen must aid in forming the circle.
    Duane

7. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Had no luck, will use some pliers on the knob instead of trying to twist by hand.
    Duane

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Wrap it with leather.... ?

9. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Persistence not patience won out. Used Vise Grips to squeeze the smooth jaw plier to apply enough force on the spindle and another plier to grip the knob, still took numerous tries, but finally broke it loose. Used some used Emery cloth. Replaced oring, no leaks, will test a few more times. Not sure where to find the preheat cup instead of using my torch. Flared last two times, maybe a couple too many pumps, will try 7 or 8 instead of 15.
    Duame

10. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Got the matching lantern running today, gave the fount a lye soak overnight and flushed some black dust out and old fuel. More work than the stove, trail and error fluffing up the double tie mantle, I think it is clocked wrong now and the bug screen thing goes on after the globe.
    Duane
    20220602_141740.jpg