Tilley - CS56

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by CWilkins, Oct 26, 2006.

1. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

Hello All,
    I was able to get my hands on a Tilley CS56. It is in good shape but is missing a small part. See the photos below (I know you all love them). It is giving me trouble burning and I need some help understanding how the burner functions.

1263681361-CS56.jpg

Here is a photo of the burner in the windscreen

1263681389-assembled.jpg

Here it is without the windscreen

1263681413-tilley_burner.jpg

The next three photos show the burner head up close. How does this work? I understand that it works basically like a Tilley lantern with the air intakes (not sure that is what they are called) on the sides and a hole in the center where the vaporized fuel enters and mixes with the air and comes out of the top of the burner to be ignited.

1263681436-burner_on_606.jpg

What is the purpose of these three tubes with small holes on just the one side. (One is missing). The actual purpose seems to be stability of the burner on the vaporizor

1263681470-burner_close.jpg

1263681498-burner_air_intake.jpg

The burner head has something inside it. Is it the inner cap? It seems heavy and moves around. The top of the head is fused on tightly. Is there a way to open it and see what is inside?

1263681549-burner_head.jpg

Aside from a leaky cock valve and some seals needing to be replaced this seems like a fixable stove. Any help that can be shed on how it works and how I can open up the burner head will be a big help.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Ian

Ian Subscriber

The double row of holes on each of the 3 vertical tubes which extend from the underside of the bnr. should all point inwards towards the vapouriser. When the stove is lit there's a double row of little flames which play onto the vapo. and vapourise the paraffin. If you can extemporise a plug for the vacant hole I daresay the stove will run tolerably well. Give it a go.

On top, the outer cap should come off. Stand the bnr. inverted in WD40 or some other release/ penetrating product overnight and then attempt to remove the outer cap using a twisting movement. It might be quite fragile (it's steel and not very thick) so be careful. underneath it should be another steel part which does what the inner cap in a ordinary silent does but is a distinctive mushroom shape.

There should also be a notched gauze w/shield affair. You should be able to make one of these up yourself.

Here's some pictures:

1263680664-CSbnr_a.jpg

1263680670-CSbnr_b.jpg

1263680676-CSbnr_c.jpg

1263680683-CSbnr_lit_a.jpg

1263680692-CSbnr_lit_b.jpg

You will notice that I have fitted a Vapalux wicked spirit cup for priming. This knocks spots off the Tilley arrangement and does not look out of place on this stove when the conical w/shield is in posn. Bairstows (W&B) make these to fit Tilley vapos. which are slightly thinner than their Vapalux counterparts.

Attached Files:

3. spudz

I've no idea of the scale of this thing, so I'm talking off the top of my head on this, but, would a lipstick burner from a 96 fit into the missing hole on the Tilley burner. ?

Spudz

4. Ian

Ian Subscriber

The threaded end of a 'lipstick' bnr. is about twice the dia. of the missing Tilley part. Length-wise it is probably about right, but I don't have one to hand to check. Furthermore, the 'lipstick' has only a single jet at the end whereas the Tilley tubes have a double row of holes all down one side. It's probably easier to make the part from scratch than try to convert a 'lipstick' bnr. to do the job.

5. Henry

I WANT ONE AND I WANT IT NOWW :evil:

I have to make do with this :D

1263680812-tilleymus4.jpg

1263680804-tilleymus3.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Ian

Ian Subscriber

1263680874-CS562a.jpg

Not quite the same, is it?

One day, Henry. One day ...

Attached Files:

7. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

Hello,
    Ian, Bangup job on the explanation. Thanks, you cleared everything up!! I think you should add that to the fettle area when we get that sorted out. No doubt it will come around again.

Spudz, to get a perspective the Tilley stove mounts onto a Tilley lantern fuel tank or fount. So it is about the size of a lantern. The small part I am missing is about the thickness of a pencil.

I forgot to put the wire mesh back on the burner for the pictures. So I don't need to worry about that. I will find a short bolt to plug the hole for now. Pretty slick engineering by those Tilley folks. If anyone knows where to source the part I am missing PM me. We can work out a trade :)

Henry, This popped up as I was searching google for a Tilley lamp shade. The seller had it at as a buy it now. Not a bargin but, it was here in the states so the shipping wasn't out of sight.

Chuck

8. spudz

Is this a Promo shot from the next Spielberg movie " Close Encounters of the Stovie Kind"

Feckin' lovely ! :lol:

I reckon you could even sell the image to The City of London as the Flame for the 2012(?) Olympics.

It's just feckin' luvleeeeeeeeeee !

Spudz

9. usdan50

usdan50 R.I.P.

chuck walked right past one of them back when I first started collecting. I was full of piss and vinegar and had the Coleman blinders on. I hadn't got the brass fever yet. My problem has always been when antique dealers get a Tilley they automatically shoot for the moon, I have seen some Tilley that our Brothers in England would find collectable .Unfortunatly they are doomed to sit on the shelf grossly overpriced. (example)

1263680958-P9230418.jpg

I went into the next store on this same road and that fellow had a whole shelf full of desirable lamps and lanterns including several really old Tilley's all grossly over priced. The theory seems to be someday I will get my price . Vert annoying when they won't budge . Dan

Attached Files:

10. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

Dan,
    I find it strange when any vendor won't budge. Especially when I am standing in a gravel lot with dust swirling around. Looking at bits of junk on the table. My favorite line is 'Do you know how much that costs new??!' Okay, we are outside, in the dirt and your item is used. Learn a word here 'depreciation'

Also you think they would be happy to get $150.00 for that $265.00 lantern. how many people will actually buy it and out of that lot how many will use it??

Chuck

11. Sketch R.I.P.

What I get a laugh out of lately is that I'm starting to see antique vendors printing out eBay auctions and tacking them up by their wares as some sort of justification for the price they are trying to get for their stock. Even though the price an item like what they are trying to sell will go for a broad range, say $25 to $150 on eBay, guess what price they want for their item! Yep, $150. "Well, one just like it went for $150 plus shipping." Of course, they don't consider that the one on eBay is being marketed to the entire world, and that the bid price started at $5.99, and it only reached that high price because of two nimwit bidders who didn't have a clue and got carried away, whereas the item they have is being marketed to the few people that happen to walk thru their door. :roll:

12. usdan50

usdan50 R.I.P.

When I hear "on ebay they are getting or one just sold on ebay" I always reply " OK I will paying for this with PAY-PAL you do take Pay -Pal ? because I want to give you feed back and I want credit card protection so if it turns out to be crap I can file a claim to stop payment. Then I suggest hear is my cell number call me when you have three or more people interested and I will come back and bid against them,that is if I don't find something nicer and spend all this cash before then. Dan

13. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Excellent response, Dan. :D

14. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

1263680997-MiniNorthernMeet2032.jpg

Er, me!

Attached Files:

15. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

David,
    You are a madman with the lights!!

Chuck

16. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Never a truer word said, Chuck!! :D

17. David Shouksmith

Thanks, guys!

Actually, the way eBay prices for the slightly more unusual Tilleys have been going lately, $265 (about £145) for a decent AL620 isn't too far in the future.

Having said that, I do agree with the points that have been made by Dan and Chuck about supply and demand in relation to a junktique stall when compared with eBay.

Last week I picked up a reasonable condition Tilley TL10 table lamp in a junktique shop in Middleham, North Yorkshire. The seller was asking £12 for it and I offered her £10, which she accepted - presumably on the grounds of not knowing when the next 'Tilley-idiot' might chance along. (sorry, Chuck - no shade on it...)

The beauty of it is, the TL10 was fitted with a TL120 gallery about 30 years newer. Now it just so happens that I've got a TL120 here, fitted with a TL10 gallery about 30 years older. Deep, deep joy... =D> \:D/

18. Henry

One day Ian. One day....

19. Henry

G A G C G

20. David Shouksmith

Why do I feel a strange complusion to post this, all of a sudden...

1263681051-DevilsTowerWyoming.jpg

What's going on?

I don't know...

I just can't help it...

Rik, help...

Aaaagh...

Attached Files: