TOFTE Kerosene stove

Discussion in 'Other brands' started by optipri, Mar 7, 2020.

1. optipri

optipri Subscriber

This is a new brand to me, have never heard of it before and never seen this model.
    But it is obviously Swedish (or imported?). On the control wheel it is embossed "made in Sweden" and also on the decal. Unfortunately it is very faded but with a magnifying glass it is possible to read the text. It sais Made in Sweden. Approved by state inspectors explosives certificate. Function tested. The text is both in Swedish and English.
    The burner is not like an ordinary Swedish style, I would say it looks French, the tiny pipe from the tank also give French vibration.
    The pre-heater is like Tilley-style, thread on a steel wire. It is stored in a tube underneath the burner, really smart.
    I don't know why it is called Tofte. The only association I get is to the Swedish island Gotland, where there is a place called TOFTA

Bo

DSC02988.JPG DSC02989.JPG DSC02990.JPG DSC02991.JPG DSC02992.JPG DSC02993.JPG

2. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

I saw it on Tradera and was tempted as it was quite affordable.
    Never seen anything like it either

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@optipri
    It has a distinctive 1950’s colour scheme. I see what you mean about the French-type burner, Bo.

Priming arrangement with that tube to insert the priming wand is ingenious.

One falling outside CRAZY CRAB’s definition of ‘most’ in his assertion “Most type of stoves look alike

John

4. optipri

optipri Subscriber

That's why I like it. Crazy Crab is right, there are too many 3-legged looking the same.
    Bo

5. Staffan Rönn

Staffan Rönn SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Really nice stove Bo. A Kockums pot like the one below in yellow enamel would fit really nice with your stove!

20200229_155117.jpg

6. Steve Gramger

Steve Gramger Subscriber

The name Tofte rang a bell. Here in Minnesota we have a small town in Cook County named Tofte, According to Upham's "Minnesota Geographic Names" the township and village, founded in 1898, is named in honor of settlers having this surname, derived from their former home in the district of Bergen, Norway. S.G.

7. optipri

optipri Subscriber

So maybe a Norwegian Influence then? I agree, the name sounds Nowegian. I have to browse on this.
    Bo

8. CRAZY CRAB

CRAZY CRAB United Kingdom Subscriber

I did say most stove look alike, :), but will find one that looks like the above, I will not be beaten on this :)

9. Lennart F Sweden

As usual - when I see @optipri bidding on wonderful things like this, I just wish him good luck and looks for something fun no other collector have seen - YEP, I try to be a cheapskate:clap:

10. tofta

tofta Subscriber

So why the name you say - helllooooo......!

11. Simes

Simes Subscriber

It's certainly an interesting variation on the 'Range' theme.

RM 320 Range stove

Did the Nordic countries try and colour co ordinate their stoves and pans in the 50's?

12. Lennart F Sweden

There was a lively flow of inspiration in design between Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland in the 50/60's with a few danish and finnish designers very daring and rocking the conventions worldwide - in the early 70's it seems that the countries went their own way, being clearly different in colours and clothing in the late 70's.
    Norwegians had been eager to have their own touch on the cookware ever since 1905 when they went independent from Sweden(and Denmark since 1814).