Trangia 25-7 Stainless

Discussion in 'Trangia' started by ggiff426, Apr 22, 2017.

1. ggiff426

ggiff426 Subscriber

Trangia 25-7 (no kettle) missing the burner.
    20170422_042249.jpg
    20170422_042656.jpg
    The pans are solid stainless not the laminate duossal.
    20170422_042635.jpg
    Sauce pans have no measurement markings. Fry pan material seems to be a tad thicker than the saucepans as is the norm.
    20170422_042334.jpg
    20170422_042355.jpg
    Bayonet couplings, riveted strap retainers and gas ports on the base.
    20170422_042507.jpg
    20170422_050758.jpg
    The box and intructions/accessories sheet both denote stainless.
    20170422_050812.jpg 20170422_050744.jpg
    20170422_042433.jpg
    20170422_042557.jpg

20170422_042851.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  2. Giri

Giri Subscriber

Well, that is interesting.

I was never aware that Trangia made pure stainless steel pot set, or bright orange for that matter..

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @ggiff426

Do you have a date anywhere on the box or printed info?

Cheers

Tony

4. ggiff426

ggiff426 Subscriber

@Giri
    Interesting indeed. I was pleasantly surprised :) Only just noticed the bright orange lol. Also it looks like the stainless was only offered on the 25 not the 27 :-k

@Tony
    No date anywhere on or in the box. Here is a photo of the reverse side of the accessories/parts page. Just a fact sheet really, but no dates there either.
    20170422_050706.jpg
    Bottom of the box
    20170423_035943.jpg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  5. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

This doesn't help much, but UPC codes (like the one on the box bottom) weren't used before the 1970s.

....Arch

6. Giri

Giri Subscriber

From Trangia Central:

In the late 1980’s the range was expanded with new options in materials and burners. Non-Stick Teflon finish and Stainless Steel give alternatives for cookware. Stainless Steel was replaced by Duossal in 1993, which was replaced by Ultralight Hardanodized aluminum in 2007. In 1998 the product development continued with Titanium, which brought lighter, tougher stoves and pans. But the Titanium is from 2007 replaced with the new material Ultralight Hardanodized aluminum.

The windshield was changed in 1988 to incorporate holes for the gas burners and a twist lock mechanism to secure the two halves together.

So, I guess this places the set between 1988 and 1993.

7. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin Subscriber

I had the stainless pans briefly - very prone to burning.

8. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin Subscriber

I still think of that as relatively recent! 1988 - how time flys!

9. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I remember the Mad Magzine cover with that as the topic.

Very nice, uncommon, kit.

10. ggiff426

ggiff426 Subscriber

Trangia Central also had a small blurb stating that Trangia "had confirmed that they did supply stainless steel pots for a short time between 1990-1995". This is merely hearsay as there is no supporting document. As @Giri said earliest we can assume would be 1988. I'm sure they do burn Spiritburner, after inspecting the thin material I assumed as much. I will quite definitely remain dedicated to my duossal sets :) Though I believe the stainless will fair better than the titanium. Seems the only thing I can cook in that is Cajun food....blackened:?

11. Odd

You should also note the accessory burner comments, apart from the old Epi gas burner (part no GB70, the one with the orange rubber fuel hose) they also list the kerosene burner solution of Gunnar Finn, the one we all call KAP-Arctic nowadays. Here it's called Finn-Arctic - with a part number of KB.

Text say: "News! The TRANGIA-cooker can also be used with a Gas burner (GB70) or a Kerosene burner (Finn-Arctic) both of which are available as accessories." And your pictures of the lower wind screen clearly show the hole for Gunnar Finns fuel inlet pipe close to its lower edge. I don't see the slightly larger hole for the regulator knob axle - so I guess they utilised the huge hole for the gas burner hose, or it's obscured in your pictures.
    The twist lock in your pictures are the proprietary Trangia solution, NOT the earlier one Gunnar Finn introduced for his own complete stoves - they lock the halves MUCH tighter together!

So I would place this one well after the summer of 1988, probably even after 1990...
    Cheers,
    /Odd

12. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@ggiff426 ,

Nice score on your stainless steel Trangia kit. I do agree, though, that SS is a fairly poor material for use with cooking, unless it's clad as are the DuoSSal sets. The "orange" pots and kettle to which you refer are actually more red, than orange. It's non-stick, and with care, will last a very, very long time. I have a lovely 25-6 set that was, in fact, my very first Trangia kit! I got it from an Outfitter's in Prescott, AZ, after they had tried, and failed, to sell it for many years. He offered me an outstanding deal on the Trangia and also a 111T kit, both NIB, and I bought them both!! Took me a while to get into the Trangia, though, as I guess I used crappy Meths the first time I tried it, and it was a smoky, sooty mess!! Later, after having found and joined CCS, my Fellow Stovies showed me the error in my ways, and now I LOVE the Trangia kits, and have quite a few of them!!

Here's that 25-6 kit being used at CASG #7, White Tank Campground, Joshua Tree National Park. I used it with a BD cap, just to see how it worked, and it was very, very nice. Nice with Meths, too, but I'm glad the BD cap setup worked as well as it did. Here are a few shots of that setup in action:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

And, here's a shot from CASG #8, where I lined up all my Trangia kits, and a few clones, too. You can see the red, non-stick Trangia 25-6 and also it's little Brother, the Trangia 27, also with red, non-stick, very easily, amongst their less colorful relatives.

6.JPG
    Again, congrats on getting your SS Trangia kit, and many thanks for sharing the info that came with your stove, with all of us at CCS! Well done, on both counts!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. One small caveat about using the red, non-stick pots, or kettle on any other stove than a Trangia: They are REALLY slippery!! The Trangia kits hold them nicely, but with other stoves, they "can" tend to slip around on the burners!

13. Ahex

I bought mine SS 25-8 Trangia 1996. It was cheaper than that non-sticky red one, probably because there was already Duossal available and stainless steel wasn't tempting. If I remember correctly Duossal was much more popular and was unavailable then. I also bought gas burner (GB70?) Which looks a bit different than Trangia Gas Burner nowadays. Trangia burner 3.jpg

Preheat tube is copper and much tighter than in current version. Burner head can be screwed off an no sealing O-rings, so whole gas burner tube can be fitted inside Trangia. Burner head, spring and attachment clamp inside coffee pot and tubing outside under frying pan.

Trangia burner 2.jpg
    Burner head is Primus and seen in several Primus gas burners. Gas Nozzle is 0.35mm (0.32mm in multifuel x2 for gas). Weight is 240g (newer one 180g).
    Trangia burner.jpg

Gas cartridge is side mounted, not top mounted like newer one and it seems in quick test with MSR Isopro can that it doesn't sputter in liquid feed mode. Hose is very flexible with fabric webbing. Newer one has SS hose webbing.