Trangia 25 Duossal

Discussion in 'Trangia' started by Matukat, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

I spotted this in a shop for 20.usd and grabbed it up about a week and a half ago. I just now looked it over and realized I had gotten myself a Duossal! Whooohooo! Now, where in the stove gallery did they put the Trangias ??? (met a Swiss gal and her guy on the trail in RMNP. She said it's a hard "G" in Trangia.)

1281653701-DSCI0068_opt.jpg 1281653760-DSCI0070_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Randy,

That think is a real POS!! Better send it to me, so I can "dispose" of it for you, eh?!! ;) ;) :^o :^o 8) :lol: :lol:

OUTSTANDING, SCORE, MATE!! They seldom get any better than that, Randy!! Patience has paid off, and you now have a wonderful Trangia 25, and my favorite Trangia pot set, the Duossal!!! YIPPEE!! OOO-LA-WEEEEE, what a find, Matukat!!! Congrats and have fun using it. Takes a hair of practice and getting used to, but I predict you will love it, once you develop a proper plan to use it, just like I, and most other Trangia lovers did!! Well done, and thanks for sharing this with us. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Thanks Doc! I'm well pleased and didn't even realize how good I was getting!
    In my limited experience, cooking on ANY of our camp stoves is partly just a matter of attention and focus, just like in cooking in a kitchen, either at home or in a restaurant. So many people say a certain stove won't "simmer". To my experience, you could simmer over a blast furnace, you would just have to hold the pot by hand and the right distance away... ;) :lol: :lol: It's funny, but it's true. Get your pot of food boiling, tune the simmer ring, or get the pot far enough from the flame, and you have a "simmer". Of course, all of that requires attention. You can't go the "Ronco" route and "set it and forget it"... Unless you like burned rice or beans... :-& ;)

Best,
    Randy

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Evening, Randy,

You are welcome, Sir! You scored, indeed! As for simmering on the Trangia stoves, I've found them to be wonderful simmering stoves, IF you close the simmering ring down to almost closed! ;) ;) I have been using a good pop-can stove for boiling my water, if I want to also simmer food on the Trangia(s). That boils very quickly, then I fire up the Trangia burner, crank it down as mentioned, and with a little stirring, now and then, you can easily simmer for more than hour!!! What's not to like about that, I ask?! ;) :thumbup: 8) Anyway, that's what works for me, and you will find your own way. I like the way the Trangia pot supports flip up and down, for getting the pot up a bit, if you want to. But, in truth, I rarely do that. The system works just as it is, at least in my experience. Again, great score, Randy, and for a knock-'em-down-and-stomp-'em" price, too!!! Well done! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

5. Ridge

Ridge United States Subscriber

Man oh Man, you lucky dog! :D/ I sure hope you like it as much as I like my Duossal 27. I procrastinated on purchasing a 25 like yours until they quit making them. Been kicking myself ever since. Had to go by my first Svea 123 just to make myself feel better.

I'd wrestle you for it, but it's to far to drive.

Well, on second thought.... :D

Enjoy it Mak. If I ever get back to the Springs I'll give you a holler. Come to think of it, maybe we should have a CCS Duossal Mini Meet over at Mueller or Eleven Mile, now that there's officially three of us Duossal owners stateside!

Warmest Regards,
    Ridge

6. cazna

Sorry to trouble you chaps but just wondering whats the buzz with a Duossal??? Whats the difference, do tell please, the novice is curious??

I just just picked up my first 2nd hand trainga 27 and i never thought much of these things but it seems i have been missing out, there quite a fine peice of kit i must say.
    Far more capable than i ever gave them credit for. I have a mini trangia as well which i think is great little kit, quite capable for such a small lightweight.

7. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Hey Ridge, Ron, (others I'm sure too) has a Duossal set.
    Cazna, Duossal = "Duo Stainless Steel Aluminum" it's a stainless lining bonded to an aluminum pan! So, you get the easy cooking and cleaning surface of stainless steel with the optimum lightness of aluminum. My humble opinion. :-)

8. cazna

Hey thanks matukat
    OOOOh now that is pretty cool, mines a standard and i thought your new 2nd one looked shiny,
    I want one to now, didnt realise you could get such a thing, im not a big fan of alloy cookware which is silly, there is already more alloy in your food than you will get off the cookware, or one panadol, Googles great isnt it.

9. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Yes, googles' access to the internet is useful. I was just reading that the other reason for duossal is the heat transference property of the aluminum. Makes sense. Now, if google can lead you to a duossal set, let us know! ;)

There ARE other search engines. "Ixquick" is one of my other favs.

10. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

Duossal is heavy, but very nice to cook in.

Pronunciation - some years ago via this forum, I recall the G being silent. "tran yah"

11. RonPH

Randy, nice score....welcome to the Trangia club :thumbup: Did a bit of cooking with my DuoSSal at CASG4 and love the way the wind does not affect the flames so I would say that its a worthwhile investment/keeper.

Ron

12. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

good buy!..great kit!..at the Midwest stove meet i was getting handed gifts right and left,and left sort of dazed by that,anyway at home i looked over the hanging stove that Ian pressed on me.it has those little metal clips that hold the pots.at first i thought they would bend and break but it turns out they are super hard stuff.
    on how you say "Trangia"..i'll bet the folks in Europe have as many ways to pronounce words as we have in the States..think deep South V.S. New York or Texas and Minnesota. ;)

13. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Hi Randy, Try Sweden. Not just for Primus, Optimus, and Radius - what is it with those guys and bloody good stoves????

Cheers, Graham.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  14. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Man am I getting senile! Having a Swedish military trangia burner, a 27 that was a gift from Bill a year or more ago, and now the Duossal, and I was looking for Switzerland....

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: ](*,) ](*,) :doh: :doh: :lol: :lol:

15. Bom Bom Bom Bom

And with Switzerland having three official languages can you trust the pronounciation of "Trangia" either :lol: :lol: :lol:

16. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  17. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Let's just call them "Trannys" and attract a whole new set of interesting folk to the site via google :lol:

18. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Eddie Izzard looks to have gotten a bit more rugged, after all... :lol: :lol:

19. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

hi Randy
    any bloke at 47 [cross dresser or not] who can run the equivalent of 43 marathons in 51 days for charity is pretty rugged in my book, i reckon he's a hero and i truly admire him for what he achieved
    he's definitely no softy

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  20. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin Subscriber

funny live too