Trangia 27: 1.n litre bowls that fit closely around packed T27

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by TRA_A, Aug 13, 2020.

1. TRA_A United Kingdom

I found the T27 1 litre pans a bit small for pasta and filling ( eg a pan used for each before combining) so used a plate/bowl, which used up space (until a failed experiment in eating out of the outer pot to save weight: filled to brim == lost dinner):

it would be nice if there was a plastic bowl (1.something litres capacity) that fitted snugly around the packed T27 (with enough room for cloth scratch protection): anyone found any?

2. Hazet

Hazet Subscriber

I think you'd just have to do some measuring of the outside of the packed kit, and then look for a bowl with those approximate internal dimensions. I'm not aware of anything "off the shelf" specifically for that purpose.
    When I had initially read your post, I thought you might be looking for something that would fit around the pots when they are packed inside the kit. That led me to looking at silicon bowls, which might maybe work, but there isn't much room between the pots and windscreen when the pots are packed up. Another thought might be to find some collapsible bowls that fit inside the kit? Not sure if you are using a kettle with your kit.
    Another option would be to get a Trangia billy kit https://shop.trangia.se/en/accessories/billy-125-2-5.html (out of stock right now, but I'd have to presume they will be available again).
    I've got an older billy kit, and it does open up different possibilities when using the 27 and needing to cook slightly larger meals. I doubt that the billy kit would fit in the standard 27 storage bag, so you'd probably have to use the 25 sized bag. I've not tried that, since I just pack my 27 kit, in it's storage bag, right in the billy.

3. TRA_A United Kingdom

Thanks, I was excluding large metal bowl/billys due to the need for insulation to keep ones dinner warm, I was hoping others might have found the perfect fitting low cost bowl already :)

4. 907_Nick

907_Nick United States Subscriber

I use the XL collapsible bowl that Sea to Summit makes for this purpose. It collapses, so you can nest it in the Trangia pot/strap pretty well. They are a little pricey, but I've had mine for years now and they still look good as new.

5. TRA_A United Kingdom

Thanks, do the Xl's fleible sides hold in 1 litre of soupy sauce and pasta OK? And is easy to clean?

6. 907_Nick

907_Nick United States Subscriber

It's easy to clean, I never put any of my camping gear in the dishwasher - not sure how that might effect it long term.

I've never measured how much food I actually put in the bowl, but I've eaten soup out of it. Just hold it by the bottom or set it on a table and I doubt you'll have an issue. I also use one for my 70lb dog and he hasn't collapsed one full of food or water.

7. TRA_A United Kingdom

Thanks, though I think I might prefer the design of actual dog bowls :) which have rigid rim from which the silicon is hung eg
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071X6Z...c=1&coliid=I1QTSJTW91JBXX&colid=3G3BXVZW98EUM
    or perhaps?
    Beco Collapsable Pet Travel Bowl Medium Blue | Pets At Home

Presumably a rigid plastic bowl could be lighter
    This looks like it might be suitable and commonly available I think but probably not lighter than the XLbowl:
    Food Storage :: Food Storers :: 2L Round Food Storage Box

8. TRA_A United Kingdom

9. TRA_A United Kingdom

10. TRA_A United Kingdom

Drat it isn't completely round....

11. TRA_A United Kingdom