Trangia 28 Burner

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Rangie, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

Hi Folks,

I've just finished straightening out a battered T28 burner/pot support.

Now then, the burner has two grooves on its outer diameter. The pot rest has its four centralising lugs on the inside.

Was it the intention that the burner is held up via the lugs on the bottom groove? Creating an air gap to allow the burner to heat-up/pressurise quicker? :-k

12 minutes to boil a pint of water is a culture shock compared to the 8R...... :shock:

Alec

2. Hazet

Hazet Subscriber

The two grooves are for the cold weather preheating attachment.

12 minutes? Sounds like you're not doing something right.

3. Afterburner

Here you can see few pictures from Trangia winter attachment: https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/28040

"Winter priming/pre-heating cup" is attached to those grooves on burner. Lower groove is for "on operation" and upped groove for "transport" position.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  4. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

Thanks for that folks, I thought as much.
    I found the posts on the winter attachment but wondered if the tabs would do the same.
    The tabs hold it well but being alloy would weaken and need regular tweaking.

Boil times, I will have a play, most probably down to technique.

It did seem to take a while to get up to speed, I found the reference to allowing time to let the wick absorb fully, will try that.
    Is there merit in giving it time to build up before setting the pot on?

Alec

5. itchy

I think putting the pot on, like you did, is more likely to help than hurt.
    With the 28, a wind screen can help a lot. Anther thing is to try to add only enough alcohol to complete the boil (experience required) as the delay in getting a good flame is due to heat being absorbed by the cold burner and fuel. Those larger burners in the military kits can take seemingly forever to get going if you fill it up.

6. Afterburner

Sorry I didn't read your question well enough... :oops:

The lugs on pot support are only intended to centralize the burner not to hold the burner up from the bottom of the pot support.

With un-modified pot support pot comes quite close to burner. I added short pieces of tubes on the top of four tips that hold the pot on the top of the pot support. That arrangement lifted pot up 5-6mm (~1/4") and flame is getting more air now. :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  7. cazna

Just tip a little meths in the pot support, And sit the burner in, Light it and the burner then it will come up to speed much faster, But honestly, Its not a bad way to spend 12mins is it, Whats the rush, Kick back and enjoy the moment.

8. camper52

use a small piece of foil-covered wood,etc, to insulate the pot support from cold ground. Windscreen definitely a big help.
    Gideon