Trangia 35-5 UL/BL and "black aluminium"

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Alcoholic, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Alcoholic Australia

Hi all

Does anyone know about this stove? Listed as out of stock at present on the Trangia webshop with an 84EUR price tag:

https://shop.trangia.se/en/trangia-...rge/ultralight-ul/storm-cooker-35-5-ulbl.html

It's clearly a Trangia 25 which is all black - is the 35 number a typo? There is a separate 25-5-UL in non-stick without the black windscreens (without the -BL suffix). The detailed description says that only the spirit burner can be used and not the gas burner, which would be consistent with the whole shebang being made of non-stick and also aligns with what it says about each of these components. The stove is heavier than the equivalent UL product, which is also consistent with the non-stick coating being applied to everything. Why they would do this to the windscreens escapes me (camo?)... particularly when they also have "black aluminium" for other products?

First time I have seen a Trangia 35 at any rate!

The separate "black aluminium" products include this one:
    https://shop.trangia.se/en/accessories/billy-4-5l-black.html

This is the same weight as the raw aluminium version of the same billy. If this "black aluminium" isn't non-stick, or anodised, then what makes it black? Presumably it's not painted black either? Anyone know anything about this surface treatment? Would it prevent aluminium taint from reactive foods? Does it scratch easily? It seems to be the same price as the raw aluminium version so presumably it's not as good as anodising, which comes at considerable expense in the Trangia product line...

2. Marc

Marc Subscriber

The itemized description lists non stick for everything, including the windshield.

So that's my guess, non stick. :mrgreen:

3. Alcoholic Australia

Me too but that still doesn't explain the billy in "black aluminium", with the same weight listed as the raw aluminium version of the same billy. If the black version was non-stick, it would be heavier than raw alu, just like all the other non-stick stuff they make. Unless it's just a typo - they list other black and red billies as non-stick but they are also heavier - that could just be the higher lid:

https://shop.trangia.se/en/accessories/billy-45l-black-high-lid.html

By the way, there is also a Trangia 37 with non-stick windscreens, for those following along... so presumably the 35 / 37 numbering is not a typo.

4. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Billy shows non stick for me as well. No clue on the weights.

5. Alcoholic Australia

The second link is an example of the billy they do list as non stick. The black aluminium version is in the OP.

6. Marc

Marc Subscriber

D'oh, no clue then. Contact Trangia directly?

7. Hazet

Hazet Subscriber

I asked Trangia about the all black 35 and 37 series kits recently. They have always been fairly responsive to inquiries, although sometimes they might not get too in-depth with their information.
    Personally, I can't wait for the "all black" to return to stock again. Missed out the last time they were available, not going to do that again.

Here is the email I sent, and their reply (edited to eliminate non related information about the other things I asked about).

Från: Jon
    Skickat: den 30 september 2020 16:02
    Till: Customer Support, Trangia AB <customersupport@trangia.se>
    Ämne: Trangia Triangle and some other questions.

Hello
    How are you?
    I also have a question about the black 35-5 and 37-5 series sets. Is the black outside coated with the non-stick material, or is it more of a black anodizing? I am curious as to what the outside coloring / coating is. The sets look fantastic, I hope they become available again soon.
    Thank you for all your wonderful products. I have Trangia sets and items dating back to the 1950's and I try to use them as often as I possibly can.
    Thanks!
    Jon

On Thursday, October 1, 2020, 01:51:03 AM EDT, Customer Support, Trangia AB <customersupport@trangia.se> wrote:
    Hi Jon,
    Thank you for you email, happy to hear that you are a true Trangia user!
    The black stove is in non-stick material, non-stick on the inside and black color on the outside.
    It is not HA treated.
    Have a great day and take care!
    Med vänlig hälsning / Best regards
    Anna Johansson
    Alsenvägen 16
    835 96 Trångsviken
    Sweden

I am not seeing where it says the 35/37 series cannot be used with a gas burner. Where did you see/read that? I did see where it says that it is only sold with a spirit burner. Typically when Trangia lists a kit as having a gas burner option, they give separate part numbers for the kit with spirit burner and the kit with the gas burner. Perhaps with such low production of the all black kits, they just want to limit the options and item numbers for them?

There are many youtube videos showing the black kits, here are a few. Unfortunately I don't understand the languages, but the videos speak for themselves.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  8. Alcoholic Australia

Thanks @Hazet - you are correct, I haven't seen specific wording that the gas burner can't be used - only wording that the set is "only available with spirit burner". Of course, in hindsight, they are not the same things...

As for the "black colour on the outside" it seems they don't want to explain. Maybe it's just a thin coat of high temp paint? I'll go with that theory... especially when I can see on that first youtube video that the bottoms of the 35 pots are still raw aluminium, which is different to the coating on the 37 pots, as well as my memory of my friend's 27-5 kit from years ago, which I could have sworn had fully coated pots on the outside, including the bottom. If the pots were coated black on the bottom, they might actually heat up faster but I can see there would be potential temperature issues if it is indeed paint they are using. But none of that explains why the 35 pots aren't painted on the bottom while the 37 pots are - the mystery continues...

Thanks for the videos! By the way, that second video has a combined rack / pot holder and pot I don't recognise - any idea what it is?

9. Hazet

Hazet Subscriber

25 series non-stick pots have milled bottoms. The only 25 series non-stick pots I've seen that have a fully coated bottom were the original red kits in the late 1980's / early 1990's. There might be others, I'm just not familiar with any. I just checked a 1998 25 nonstick kit: milled bottoms, so they've been doing it at least that long. I remember reading their reasoning for milling the bottoms, I just don't recall what it was (or where I read it) right now. I think it was something to do with being less slippery when used with different stoves.
    No idea what the rack/pot holder is. A lot of the videos I see from that part of the world show really interesting Trangia mods and items used with Trangias, that I am unfamilar with, or unable to source easily.