Trangia - alternative

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by James Freer, Sep 10, 2020.

1. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Can you link that please? I cannot find it.

Ken

2. Blueflame111

Blueflame111 United States Subscriber

@James Freer Hey James, welcome to CCS. I just saw your OP and you said you thought it started with an “s.” It immediately made me think of one of my favorite cook sets: the Sigg Tourist. I have several of these sets in stainless and aluminum working with the SVEA 123 and several different Coleman stoves. The pans stack and everything fits right inside the set for transport. Not exactly like the Trangia but similar and might be worth a look for you.

3. Gunner

4. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Same link, here in the USA:

Amazon Trangia.JPG

5. snwcmpr

6. James Freer United Kingdom

I did get the Trangia 27 and 25 to compare. The top windshield is too high to use with a saucepan. Also found that the Trangia did not burn as well - the clone's shape as I said earlier is like a venturi upside down and that certainly does draw the flame. Partly due to there being less space at the side compared with the Trangia.... so in my view Optimus were 'spot on' with their original design. Quite why Trangia were able to take over the market surprises me.

Further to another members post on using a steamer in his camper. I've found that the steamer is useful for steaming but also as a 'case' for it. I put mine in the steamer and the base fits exactly, the top windshield upside down and the stainless lid on top. Sometimes whilst driving things slide off the bunk and fall on the cooker. It did bend the top windshield slightly and upside down the windshield is a neat fit to put it back in shape. Little bit more convenient than using the original pan and lid and packing up each time. I still find that the Trangia burner gains a lot of soot whereas the double burner does not. Not a problem clearing soot with a wire bursh but strange why the double burner made out of Titanium (allegedly) does not. Enlarging the holes with the Trangia burner is worthwhile I feel.

I am grateful for members contributions and delighted with my use of a storm cooker. It really does work extremely well for me.

IMG_20210210_102944.jpg IMG_20210210_102634.jpg IMG_20210210_102706.jpg IMG_20210210_102726.jpg

7. snwcmpr

Can you elaborate on that more?
    What saucepan do you mean?

8. James Freer United Kingdom

I'd ask you to read through the post again and look at the pics. I am a truck driver and wanted to use a storm cooker for everyday use. I found the clone just right to accommodate a stainless steel saucepan for cooking. The thin aluminium ones would not stand the wear and tear. The Trangia or clone with aluminium pans may be ok for hiking for a week but will not cope with heavier use.