Trangia Burner variants

Discussion in 'Stove Paraffinalia' started by lanevitt, Sep 2, 2018.

1. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

After collecting up most of my Trangia burners so as to give then a good clean, I noticed quite a few variations to the screw cap warning information ...Out of the group I have there are five variants.. I thought I would take some pictures and add it to the forum.. It would be interesting if anyone can add to the five variations here...

tb1.jpg

tb2.jpg

tb3.jpg

tb4.jpg

tb5.jpg

tb5a.jpg

Interesting to note, the fifth screw cap is the most common of my burners, and out of all the caps this style is the only type to feature cracks on the sides. No other screw cap design shows this. ( No, i'm not over tightening them..No, I'm not snuffing out the burner with them.)
    They do feel thinner than all the other type.

2. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

Also noted there seems to be a rogue burner ...Genuine Trangia...showing no Trangia winter attachment groove at the base of the burner body, A slightly rounded edge at the base and different thread pitch for the burner cap..which means no mixing of screw caps...

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

Also, the one on the left is sporting a darker base colour.

3. Odd

And to that - those first four lids seems to be aimed at the Norwegian market exclusively. I highly doubt a Swedish manufacturer would use Norwegian as a lingua franca for the entire Scandinavian market...

I'll have to go out into the Man Cave and dig some (since long buried deep) of my old Trangia burners out. I'll be back with what I find...

4. Odd

Well, I found 4 burners down there. They match the first, second and fourth pictures.
    I haven't gotten any burner matching your third picture (or your last one for that matter).
    BUT! I found yet another iteration!
    So my guess now is - Trangia is fulfilling a unique Norwegian testing regulation.

Here's a picture of that one:
    Brännarlock.jpg

5. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

Nice one Odd ... must be being made here there and everywhere.. Interesting to note that a few of mine denote using the burner with the model 25 and yours shows both the 25 and the 27 stoves.

6. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

I have one with the first inscription, no English. Bought in 1980 from REI, as "REI Alcohol Burner", for about $3.95 USD, no brand name in catalog.
    I had fun with it today. I intended to fire up my Esbit Coffee Maker inside my Borde Flask Cooker with the Trangia as the heat source. Output went into an Italian Army surplus canteen cup, balanced on top of the bail on the far side, supported by some aluminum tent pegs to help the Esbit sit at the right height and angle in the Borde.
    All went swimmingly well, until physics intervened, and the contents of the pot [coffee] transfered its mass to the cantilevered cup, the burner had less fuel weight than its prelight state, and the pot became empty -- resulting in critical imbalance, a tumble, and no morning espresso for me. Good thing I did this test at home, not on the trail.

DSC00233.JPG DSC00234.JPG DSC00235.JPG DSC00236.JPG DSC00237.JPG DSC00238.JPG DSC00239.JPG DSC00240.JPG