Trangia Gas Burner ca. 1988

Discussion in 'Trangia' started by Hazet, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Hazet

This gas burner came to me, packed with a circa 1988 red nonstick Trangia 25-5 kit I purchased.
    I believe it to be new / nos, as the Trangia kit was also new / nos.
    It has its packaging, and on the sticker it is listed as a "Butane Burner", with part number 0560151, price $29.95. I do not know which company originally sold this.
    Has a threaded valve assembly, for isobutane type canisters.
    There is no preheating loop at the burner.
    The burner head is marked "Grill", with a stylized "G".
    Brass mounting base is stamped T (Trangia logo) trangia Made In Sweden, For Outdoor Use Only, Endast For Utomhusbruk (Swedish for "For Outdoor Use Only").
    There is a coiled wire around the hose, presumably as a heat shield and also to protect the hose from abrasion where it would pass through the hole in the windscreen base.
    Hose is approximately 520mm / 20 1/2" from end to end.
    It does stick up quite a bit from the plane of the windscreen base.

IMG_9982.JPG IMG_9983.JPG IMG_9984.JPG IMG_9985.JPG IMG_9986.JPG IMG_9987.JPG IMG_9988.JPG IMG_9989.JPG IMG_9990.JPG IMG_9996.JPG IMG_9992.JPG IMG_9993.JPG IMG_9994.JPG IMG_9997.JPG

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Nice find.

3. pysen78

pysen78 Subscriber

Nice score.
    This is the earlier type of burner compared to current issue.
    Made by Epigas, if I recollect.

4. Hazet

I did some internet research about the burner, and here's what I've come up with. It appears that it is an Olicamp Scorpion stove, which was made in Taiwan, adapted and slightly modified (fuel hose, no lower windscreen) for use in a Trangia.
    I looked on Trangia-Central and in their "Timeline" section, it is mentioned that the "original" gas burners were Scorpion (Olicamp), then later were EpiGas. trangia timeline
    I then seached for similar stoves on CCS and found several mentions of the Scorpion stove and their different variations.
    One post did mention the EpiGas burner for Trangia, but while looking similar to the Scorpion, apparently the EpiGas version has a preheater loop and other features which do not match the one I have. I believe the EpiGas version is pictured on the side of the Trangia box (see lowermost picture).

On CCS I found a stove that had the same burner markings and valve assembly: Help me identify this stove
    I also found several similar stoves pictured on other websites. All were identified as Olicamp Scorpion.
    I searched ebay for Scorpion stoves and found one. It also has the "Grill" burner marking (with some additional markings), and the same valve assembly.

Another thing I noticed, is that in the pic of the burner on the back of the Scorpion box (second pic below), and in another example I found online (fourth pic), there is some kind of protective looking film or coating on the burner. I'm presuming this was there to protect the stainless finish from being scratched in transport, and also presuming this was either supposed to be removed prior to using the stove, or that it would burn off during use. On the pic on the back of the box, there are just a few very small specs of this that are visible in the center, on the word Grill. The reason I bring this up, is that on my burner, there were some hardened remnants that I chipped off with a fingernail, that looked just like the ones on the pic on the box (same location, same general size), see fifth pic below.
    scorpion 1.jpg
    scorpion 2.jpg
    scorpion 3.jpg

Example with blue protective stuff on the burner.
    IMG_0003.JPG

My burner with residue on it:
    Untitled_opt.jpg

Pic on the side of the Trangia 25-5 box, showing gas burner, but not the same style as mine. Possibly EpiGas version.
    IMG_0004.JPG

5. Simes

Simes Subscriber

The epigas with preheater was the 'Alpine'.

There have been a couple of posts I think regarding adapting the Alpine to fit a Trangia.

The control valve would suggest Epigas.

6. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

Neat. I enjoy my Olicamp stuff, fun to see it in a Trangia.

7. Marc

Marc Subscriber

I have that same stove. Good wide flame, valve adjustment is a bit touchy.