Trangia HA pot cost premium?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by TRA_A, Jul 30, 2020.

1. TRA_A United Kingdom

1) Trangia charge a such large premium for HA replacement pans (over plain UL which are very good value)that I wonder:

a) is there HA process more expensive than others (and why)?

b) If HA is not particularly non-stick, and not as robust as duossal wouldn't one's money be better spent on one duossal outer pan.

c) would it be a great loss if trangia dropped HA?

2) To save money/weight, surely there is often no need for the Trangia 27/25 inner pot to be other than plain UL for most people (cos is just used to boil water/pasta/rice etc which all require little or no cleaning?)

2. Tron

Tron Subscriber

a: Probably (do not know why, but their HA base and windshield, for example, are a lot more expensive than their non-stick covered, its not just pots and pans)
    b: Yes
    c: I like the HA base and windshield, much easier to keep clean and "new" looking, seems to be harder to scratch. The HA pots and pans I would not miss.
    2: I would hate preparing anything but hot water in the aluminium pots. I prefer non-stick or duossal all the way, easy to use and inexpensive. I do keep a Trangia 28/"Mini" alu pot in my HA 27 as a third pot to boil water, instead of a kettle. The Trangia multifuel (Optimus Nova version) fits inside, with spare parts, a lighter and a small spirit bottle. The other two pots are one duossal and one non-stick.

Tron

3. afoton

b) If one want robust and light weight, HA is the one to get.
    c) I like that there are so many different versions, and that one can get parts just in the version one likes. So yes it would be a loss.

4. TRA_A United Kingdom

I wonder if itt would it be more cost efficient for Trangia to sell sets as just a box of windshields and burner and pot grab, with discount voucher against pans/lid:
    that way less guessing by Trangia and/or shops about which will sell more?
    One could mix and match more (eg I would all but outer saucepan in plain UL). Stock is simplified etc.

5. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

You can already buy individual items.
    Why should they offer a discount? There is no shortage of people that wish to buy all of the available products.
    All of your posts are complaints about the way Trangia does its business. Why is that?

6. TRA_A United Kingdom

Because currently when you buy the pans in a box set you are effectively getting them a discount, so the stock minimising idea wouldn't work without it.... :)

7. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

Do the 27 pots fit inside the pots for the 25?
    I have an HA25 set on the way from Finland.

8. 907_Nick

907_Nick United States Subscriber

The pots would fit, but you'd need to get or make a grate that would allow them to set on the legs of the larger Trangia windscreens.

In regards to options, they are nice. The HA is almost as lite as the plain aluminum and a bit or durable. It also prevents aluminum from leaching into acidic foods - some folks care deeply about this.

I personally prefer the Duossal. Sure it's a bit heavier, but it cooks the best and is durable as heck. I love them!

9. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

I bought the triangular trivet thing. That should hold a kettle or Moka caffe pot.
    I experimented with it, and using wire twist ties from breadloaf wrappers on 3 sides, fitted it to a Sigg Tourist windscreen lower half with a Trangia or military M41 Svea alky burner. [Guess I have the Esbit clone of the Trangia in this shot.]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  10. TRA_A United Kingdom

11. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

@TRA_A , your hand has been played. I don't think you're fooling anyone

12. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Are you associated with that company?

13. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Access Kit also sells Trangia 25 and 27 kits, as well as individual Trangia components.

Cooking – Access Expedition Kit

That would explain the questions about discounts on Trangia items and what would sell better and why, along with a discount code so someone can put their own kit together. Access Kit isn't offering anything special with their Endurance meths burner, either in functionality or price, to be worth buying it instead of the Trangia, but a build-your-own-kit type of thing might appeal and earn them a greater market share.

14. TRA_A United Kingdom

Sigh, no I have absolutely nothing to do with that company, it just seems interesting/useful:
    I came across them late yesterday while looking for* the Tramgia X2 multiburner cup cos I found an old gas burner/brunton stand and has an idea.....:

Google gives weird result sometimes :)

15. TRA_A United Kingdom

EDIT time out but here is the spell corrected version:

Sigh, no I have absolutely nothing to do with that company, it just seemed interesting/useful (and I therefore was asking a straightforward honest simple question about if they fitted):
    I came across them late yesterday while looking for* the Tramgia X2 multiburner cup cos I found an old gas burner and had an idea.....):

Google gives weird results sometimes :)

And I am still none the wiser about the price premium:

a plausable answer might have been that their environmental filtering costs a huge amount (but it might not) so I am still curious about the original posts question......

16. Phantom

a) If you have access to inexpensive hard anodizing, by all means take your UL kit there to be treated rather than purchasing already-anodized pans from Trangia.

b) While I prefer Duossal to HA, there is a weight penalty that some prefer to avoid.

c) Yes it would. As afoton noted, it's good to have multiple options so one can choose exactly what one needs or wants (horses for courses). Each of Trangia's metal finishes (UL, HA, NS and Duossal) has its pros and cons.

2. Just because you have limited uses for the inner pot doesn't mean everyone else does.

In any case, rice residue isn't always easy to clean.

+1

17. TRA_A United Kingdom

As I said more briefly above :
    But Buying the items in a set is effectively a discount but having lots of set variants complicates production surely, my suggestion was concerned with streamlining production while allowing people to build up their desired set from a wider menu (eg I would only want one outer HA or duossal pot, the rest in UL: that is not a current option and buying HA/Duossal pots as a later addon is much more expensive: build a 27or 25 set by buying the items as spares is rather dearer than a boxed set: for my idea to work buying spares all at once to make a set would need enough 'discount' to match buying a set (you would only get this discount when buying the windshields etc to make said set: thus no loss of income to Trangia, just manufacturing flexibility): thus possibly streamlining production whilst giving the customer choice and control....

18. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

You should get hired at Trangia and bring that up to them.

19. Phantom

Good suggestion! As he spends so much time thinking about how to improve Trangia’s business model, he might as well get paid for it.

20. Odd

Since they run their production in batches, and is a family business, they probably operate just as efficiently as they choose to.
    It's a small place out in rural Sweden, not far from our southernmost part of the mountain range...

For anyone interested they offer all the variants on their web site spares part - so anyone can mix and match freely
    instead of simply buying one of the pre-packed kits... That is how I've built all of my current Trangias, mix and match...