Trangia HA pot cost premium?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by TRA_A, Jul 30, 2020.

1. TRA_A United Kingdom

I shall ignore the preceding few posts, but for your post I did the sums from the Trangia webshop:
    so a boxed Storm Cooker 27-1 UL is €69 (£61.5411 GBP) from the webshop but in UK can be had for £44.99)
    and
    building the same set from spares (again ignoring postage) came to €92.30 i.e. 23.30 euro extra or 33% extra cost.... if you want one outer HA or duossal pot in a such a custom set from spares that comes .

As for the pick and mix boxset idea, I though my pick and mix boxset idea might make factory life simpler and that would be better for a family firm who wished to reduce stress?
    The number of T25/27 boxed set variants has rather mushroomed recently hence my wondering.... :)

But as the original post was a simple question about HA process cost out of curiosity, and no one seems no know the answer, I think would prefer the thread was deleted or locked.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  2. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

It was so much simpler when the only option was K or not.

3. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

I do not believe that CCS deletes or locks any threads unless they contain some sort of improper or inflammatory matter. And indeed, on a stove site, a certain amount of inflammatory matter is necessarily allowed!

4. Marc

Marc Subscriber

@TRA_A This simply isn't the case, it's FAR easier for a supply/shipping/whs operation to ship one kit, than it is to ship a dozen separate items. It's essentially as much trouble to pull a full kit off the shelf, box it, and ship it, as it is to do the same with each individual item that would make up a kit. Takes more time for a person to pull individual items, there are more opportunities for inaccuracy to creep in, takes more time for someone else to QC the order, etc. This adds up to greater cost, which is why the individual pieces cost more than they do in a kit.

From the seller's side, it's most definitely not "easier" to have individual pieces available. I'd bet a cup of coffee that Trangia has done plenty of research on the kits they offer, and that the vast majority of their users buy a kit and that's that.

5. TRA_A United Kingdom

I also liked the separate letter K for kettle of olden days but it was less international I suppose :)

Perhaps, for international-ness they could have replaced the K with a 2nd number: e.g. zero for no kettle, non-zero for for kettle eg a 27-1 UL would be a 27-1-0 UL and a 27-2 UL would be a 27-1-1 UL (or 27K in olden days) :)
    Computer Programmers may find that suggestion amusing :)

6. TRA_A United Kingdom

OK, thats interesting, I didn't realise varied boxed sets would actually be easier for them . :)

7. Ian

Ian Subscriber

TRA_A wrote, 'In which case perhaps they could actually add models with only the outer saucepan in the heavier duossal'

Put your suggestion to them and see what they say.

8. TRA_A United Kingdom

OK. Thanks.

9. Odd

I never said it would be less costly in any way to buy the parts directly from Trångsviken!
    I only pointed to the possibility.

Sure they must sell their parts at a higher price compared to local resellers
    - or they would loose them. But on the other hand, who cares about cost - when building
    that ultimate Trangia set for ones personal taste? I didn't...

10. Hazet

Hazet Subscriber

Suggesting to Trangia that they offer a kit model with only the outer saucepan in Duossal does not seem like it could be that far from a real possibility.

Of course it all depends on how long Trangia continues offering Duossal, but most of their other kits have the selectability of base material (plain aluminum, HA) or non-stick pans.
    I did not see a "non-stick pots w/ base material (plain aluminum, HA) fry pan" set offered. Side note: I did notice that a lot of their products are sold out. Not sure whether to interpret that as a good thing or a bad thing.

Anyway, offering a Duossal pan option looks, to me at least, a relatively "simple" thing to do. Just designate a new kit number with a Duossal lid, print the packaging, and box them up. Of course it is not really that "simple", but it also would not involve manufacturing changes to any already existing product(s).

I do applaud Trangia for offering a la carte direct international sales to many countries, obviously some restrictions do apply. That was a huge jump for them. For me to have the capability to sit here in the USA, click a few boxes on their website and build just about any kit I want or can dream up, pay online, then have it show up on my doorstep, is a wonderful possibility that simply was not the case not all that long ago. I'll pay the "premium" for that option if I want to excersize it.

I can only imagine the time spent on logistics, and picking and shipping individual orders. I mean in all honesty, you could order one ridiculously small item, like say a 2-pack of yellow burner bags (Article no.: 999000, 2 Euro) and have it shipped to your door. I can't see how they'd be making much, if any money on small items like that if purchased separately.

11. Odd

You're correct - they can't. This is all a nice service to this world wide community of users.

12. TRA_A United Kingdom

As long as they are making enough profit :) and are not overwhelmed by small value orders:) (in which I presume they would set up some of minimum order?) :) .

Most mail order companies seem to survive allowing small orders with a separate postal charge.

13. Spiritburner

I had a nice HA 27 outfit in EVA case, neither of which is available in UK as far as I know. My lad is getting into fellwalking & camping with a couple of his mates so he's come to me for advice on kit. I gave him my HA outfit & I'll give him the gas attachment when I find it. I will let him find his own level of Zen & believe one day he will forego gas & use the meths burner & maybe even seek out a Speedster.

But back on track. No regrets giving away such a nice outfit but there was an immediate hankering to get another. As Trangia don't have stock I bought the parts to build my own. I will add an Eva case, kettle & handle I already have. Not the cheapest option but as the recipient of a recent large tax rebate & to appease my Trangia lust I couldn't help myself :whistle:

trangia.jpg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  14. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

Nice. Enjoy!

15. TRA_A United Kingdom

Looks like nice matching HA windshields?

I once suggested HA kettles so that they matched the HA pots in boxsetsbut none have appeared as yet.

16. Spiritburner

Aye - HA windshield.

17. TRA_A United Kingdom

I wonder if the HA coating is applied after the pans are pressed into shape, perhaps by being sent off elsewhere?

If so , if they could be stamped out of already Hard anodized sheets, perhaps that would lower costs? Is that a possibility?

18. Marc

Marc Subscriber

HA is hard anodizing, an electrochemical treatment. In general it's applied after the part is formed finally, by dipping in a solution and applying an electrical current. The many tons of forming pressure would damage the coating. The coating would crack and leave gaps as the outer bend radiuses of the aluminum stretch during forming.

The equipment needed to anodize a 4x8 sheet or a continuous roll would also be an enormous investment, compared to the small batch process that would work for individual items.

Not saying this is what Trangia does for sure, but it's industry standard. Doubtless Trangia has gone through all of this already and has chosen the manufacturing process which suits their various needs the best.

19. TRA_A United Kingdom

Thanks.