Trangia History in the UK?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Retro Camper, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Retro Camper

Retro Camper Subscriber

Does anyone know when Trangia stoves first appeared in the UK? There seems to be a real dearth of Trangia literature (brochures, catalogues, advertising) so not a lot to help us. Magazine advertisements would probably be a good source of information but mine don't go back far enough (Trangia's are advertised in a November 1979 magazine, which is the earliest I have). Thanks all.

2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

3. Retro Camper

Retro Camper Subscriber

Have managed to get back to 1976 but will keep looking. Chris Townsend, well known UK backpacker and gear reviewer, states on his website that he bought one to use on the Pennine Way in that year. Incidentally his website is worth a look as he talks about the various stoves he has used on his many long distances walks; Trangia; MSR; Nova, 123R etc

4. Retro Camper

Retro Camper Subscriber

Well I might have found the answer - 1972. This webpage states that in 1972 "Karrimor UK was the first company outside Sweden successful selling Trangia".

Curiously the webpage refers back to the history of the Trangia on this site, but the timeline on CCS does not mention the 1972 date.

5. Retro Camper

Retro Camper Subscriber

I know I should have put all this information in one post, not several - sorry. The fact that Karrimor was importing Trangia into the UK is probably why the Mini Trangia came about. Their website states it was made for the KIMM; a mountain marathon sponsored by Karrimor. Mike Parsons, the owner of Karrimor was a gear inventor and outdoor enthusiast and I guess he was behind its inception.