Trangia M25-4, for a project!

Discussion in 'Trangia' started by Doc Mark, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, All,

I've been looking for a used Trangia 25, and did not really care what version I got. I wanted it, now so much for the stove, or pots, or kettle, but for the windscreen set, so I could make it into a DuoSSal set! Recently, I saw one on the bay of evil, which had a very low "Buy it Now" price, and decided to go for it.

What I got, was a new-ish Model 25-4, complete with the non-stick lid and kettle. For the price, I'm quite happy with it. Doesn't look like it was used too much, and one pot seems almost unused. The only odd thing is that the frying pan/lid, had a sticky, baked-on grease on the outside of it! Here is what I got, and you'll see what I mean about this.

1-IMG_5307.jpg

The seller did not show the outside of the frying pan/lid, and this is probably why:

2-IMG_5308.jpg

The inside of the non-stick pan/lid is OK, though, with only a few little dings. Should work nicely, IF I was going to use it. 3-IMG_5309.jpg

Though I have a few M25 kettles, there is always room for one more, right?!?!!

4-IMG_5311.jpg

5-IMG_5312.jpg

6-IMG_5313.jpg

7-IMG_5314.jpg

There is some corrosion on the bottom of the burner, which should clean up fairly easily.

8-IMG_5316.jpg

But, the top, and insides of the burner are fairly clean.

9-IMG_5315.jpg

10-IMG_5317.jpg

11-IMG_5318.jpg

With the locking lugs, the stamped strap keepers, and older style non-stick frying pan/lid, I'm guessing this is from the late 1980's, but I could be wrong.

12-IMG_5319.jpg

13-IMG_5320.jpg

I've got the frying pan/lid soaking in Dawn dish detergent, and will give it a good scrubbing, later today. I'll also clean up the pots, and the rest of this set, "just because". I have no plans for the pots, or frying pan, as they will be replaced with new DuoSSal items. Now, I need to do the same thing in finding a windscreen set for a M27 DuoSSal setup! Ain't this a fun hobby?!! Yes, indeed, it is!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  2. Daryl

Daryl United States Subscriber

@Doc Mark If dawn did not remove that grease you might try some oven cleaner. Spray outside and place in plastic bag to reduce the evaporation for a bit. Oven cleaner and aluminum are not friends so don't let them play together for too long. Citric type cleaner or Simple Green should work also. FYI this method works great on cast iron also. May need to install on/off knob so you can use in Ca. National Forest and keep your fire permit close by. Stay safe

3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Personally I would never use oven cleaner on an item I would later use to cook food. But, to each their own. :)
    I like Bar Keepers Friend.

4. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Such as an oven?

5. Reflector

Denatured Alcohol Pointless Ban Land (California)
    Baking soda will also adhere to sticky grease when mixed with water and scrubbed. It also has a minor abrasive action even if very, very minor. Simple Green seems to decake some burnt on grease that's been on a gas cooktop in my experience as well.

Worst case: toothpaste has fine aluminum oxide abrasives in it as well, which can be used to gently clean the exterior much like abrasive car polishing compounds. The aluminum oxide is friable and breaks down as it is worked, so when the cutting power goes away you just keep adding more as the grit size has broken down further. Works well enough for pans with burnt on grease in my experience as well.

6. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Yes, Ed. Even an oven.
    But, particularly an item food would touch.

An excerpt from the sds for aerosol oven cleaner.
    http://gato-docs.its.txstate.edu/jcr:e15648ec-4e92-4f65-93fa-995bea5741dc/EasyOff Aerosol.pdf

Hazards identification
    Supplemental label
    elements
    : None known.
    Hazards not otherwise
    classified
    : None known.
    General
    Prevention : Wear protective gloves. Wear eye or face protection. Wear protective clothing. Keep
    away from heat, sparks, open flames and hot surfaces. - No smoking. Keep only in
    original container. Pressurized container: Do not pierce or burn, even after use. Do not
    spray on an open flame or other ignition source. Do not breathe dust or mist. Wash
    hands thoroughly after handling.
    Response : Absorb spillage to prevent material damage. IF INHALED: Remove victim to fresh air
    and keep at rest in a position comfortable for breathing. Immediately call a POISON
    CENTER or physician. IF SWALLOWED: Immediately call a POISON CENTER or
    physician. Rinse mouth. Do NOT induce vomiting. IF ON SKIN (or hair): Take off
    immediately all contaminated clothing. Rinse skin with water or shower. Wash
    contaminated clothing before reuse. Immediately call a POISON CENTER or physician.
    IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if
    present and easy to do. Continue rinsing. Immediately call a POISON CENTER or
    physician.
    Storage : Store locked up. Protect from sunlight. Do not expose to temperatures exceeding 50
    °C/122 °F. Store in corrosive resistant container with a resistant inner liner.
    Disposal : Dispose of contents and container in accordance with all local, regional, national and
    international regulatio

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, All,

Well, I finally got the frying pan/lid fairly cleaned of it's baked on grease. I used Dawn detergent, and then Simple Green, and plenty of elbow grease, and finally removed most of it. But, all the scrubbing came at a cost, as it also began to remove the proprietary coating Trangia had put on the outside of the frying pan/lid!! Photos of that, in a bit.

I added some Meths to the burner, and once it had soaked in nicely, put everything together, and brewed up a kettle of water for tea.

14-IMG_5327.jpg

The burner flames improved nicely, as I let it go for a few minutes:

15-IMG_5328.jpg

16-IMG_5329.jpg

17-IMG_5330.jpg

After the kettle was put in place, you could "just" see the soft blue flame around the outside of the kettle.

18-IMG_5331.jpg

And, as always, when using a Trangia, the kettle did it's thing in a fairly short time!

19-IMG_5332.jpg

Remember when I wrote that the finish actually began to come off on the outside of the frying pan? Here are a few shots of that.

20-IMG_5333.jpg

21-IMG_5334.jpg

22-IMG_5335.jpg
    Also, it appears that some previous owner, used the outside of the frying pan, as a cutting board! Right about in the center, you can see some straight cut lines, and also something that looks like an "X", cut into the lid!!

23-IMG_5336.jpg

All in all, I'm very happy with this set, and now that the burner has been tested with the kettle, I've replace the pots with two brand new DuoSSal versions. Next camping trip, I'll take this along, and see how that combo works! Or, hey, I might not be able to wait that long, and maybe Sweet Bride and I will have to have another breakfast on the front deck, cooked on this new setup! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

And next a duossal frypan.

9. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Ken @snwcmpr ,

Got it already! I just forgot to mention that part. It may have been from a link that you sent me, but I can't recall, for sure. In any case, a while back, I bought both the m25, and M27 DuoSSal fry pan/lids! So, if it was from your link: Thanks a bunch, my friend!! GREAT stuff! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

10. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

My pleasure
    I like the DUOSSAL with the Nova in the Trangia.
    Ken