Trangia Multifuel 780001 aka Optimus Nova

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Tron, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Tron

Tron Subscriber

Hi,
    I would like to present my most recent stove acquisition, an original Trangia Multifuel burner for the Trangia system. Is it a "classic campstove"? I think so, even if its not more than 12-14 years old.

20191115_172738.jpg

I have used a modern, Katadyn, Nova produced in Taiwan in my Trangia sets for some years now. I think its the best system for actual cooking, that is also small and light enough to be carried on a backpacking trip. I have long wanted an original, produced by Optimus in Sweden for Trangia before 2010. Since 2010 Trangia has offered the Trangia X2 multifuel, made by Primus. I have one of those, but in my opinion they are much inferior to the original. I put out a "wanted" add at finn.no, which is a Norwegian equivalent to "craigslist". After a few days a sporting goods store in the very north of Norway, Finnmark, responded. They had one in the store, unsold since before 2010. I bought it, and have a brand new, in the box Trangia multifuel. It did not stay "virgin" for long, this is going to be a user. I'll show anyone who is interested some of the details and pictures from firing it for the first time.

The original box was plain cardboard, not the usual Trangia type box with pictures of outdoor scenes. It has the original price tag, 1 599,- Norwegian kroner. I got a 30% discount on that amount :D

20191115_172108.jpg

Unboxing shows the same components as the current X2 model: burner, pump, fuel bottle, tool, instructions and a bag. It came with instructions in several languages, english, german and swedish. The instructions also has a very detailed, illustrated parts list.

20191115_172840.jpg

The fuel pump is simply an Optimus Nova pump from 2004-2008, with CEJN coupling between pump and fuel hose. The burner is also a Nova, in a special cup that fits perfectly in the Trangia lower windshield instead of the Optimus three legged burner housing.

20191115_172855.jpg

The burner body itself is slightly hexagonal compared to the current, round Novas. It is also slightly smaller in diameter and has a larger burner plate. The burner plate is "hinged" at one leg, through a small hole in the burner body.

20191115_173805.jpg

Current Nova in a Trangia cup vs Trangia multifuel 780001
    20191115_175137.jpg

Current Nova Trangia multifuel
    20191115_175222.jpg 20191115_175238.jpg

My Trangia multifuel has the slotted burner nut introduced in 2004.
    20191115_173824.jpg

CEJN coupling. I've never really understood the hype around the CEJN, but it is a very slick way of attaching the fuel line. I can pressurize the bottle and then attach the line without spilling a drop of fuel. The other way around will spill lots of fuel, since the fuel line itself is not checked with a valve. The coupling is also very assuring mechanically, it locks with a positive "click" and can easily be operated with one hand. The CEJN coupling and the slotted burner nut is the only indicators I can find regarding when this burner was produced, sometime between the introduction of the slotted nut in 2004 and the end of swedish production in 2008. If anyone has any other clues I would be gratefull. Neither the box nor the instruction are dated.
    20191115_174222.jpg

There is a fuel filter where the fuel line attaches to the tube that's housing the regulator needle, later NOVA stoves do not have a filter here. The filter is the white, hard plastic or cotton filter that has since been replaced by Optimus with a brass filter. There was another filter at the end of the pumps fuel pick up tube, like on the current NOVAs. I do not know whether the two filters are there to control pulsing or if the filter in the burner tube is to trap any dirt that enters the fuel line when its not attached to the pump.
    20191115_174253.jpg 20191115_174307.jpg

The connection for the fuel line is the same as current production, and the fuel lines can be swapped between a new Nova and this 15ish year old model. A new NOVA fuel line is the same length and diameter as the Trangia NOVAs.
    20191115_175614.jpg
    20191115_175307.jpg
    "Made in Sweden"
    20191115_174439.jpg

Regulator needle is typical NOVA construction, I greased the two blue o rings with some silicon grease before reassembling it.
    20191115_174431.jpg

As expected, a "Dawg-a-nova" fits perfectly. Even though this burner is slightly smaller than the current ones, there is plenty of room for this silencer, and it works perfectly too. I will say it here, although I know I also will repeat myself, but the combination of Optimus Nova and this Berniedawg silencer is in my opinion the best white gas camping stove ever. It can be turned down to a very low simmer where you can make the most delicate food, yet burns as hot as any other comparable stove at full throttle, all this at a very low level of noise. It takes very little preheating before you can operate it, and it shuts of completely when you shut the regulating valve, with no exhaust fumes or soot. Call me a fanboy if you like, there's a reason I love these stoves.
    20191115_173931.jpg

I have already mentioned that this stove is not bought as a collectors item, but is rather going to see a lot of use. So I did not wait long to fire it. The procedure is well known to the readers of this forum, and there was no surprises. It fired right up as you would expect from a new stove. None of the seals or o-rings where dry or cracked, everything was like it was made yesterday. Even the leather pump cup was fine, with good resistance when I first operated the pump. I did add some synthetic motor oil to it anyway. I filled the fuel bottle with 300 grams of Aspen Alkylate fuel, wich is also recommended in the Trangia instructions.

20191115_180945.jpg

First firing, fitted in the base of a hard anodized Trangia 25. I prime with meths, to avoid soothing and flare from white gas.

20191115_180926.jpg 20191115_181045.jpg

Nice, blue flame and no smell of exhaust or fuel. Like smelling a hairdryer. The sound level was surprisingly low for a roarer burner without a silencer, I contribute this to the large flame plate. The current Trangia X2 made by Primus has a very small flame plate and a very high sound level.
    20191115_181422.jpg

Hard to show in a picture, but this is low simmer. Very low.
    20191115_181520.jpg

I did a boil test, 1 liter of cold (8 degree celsius) water in a 1.4l trangia kettle. The stove was possibly running at a slightly low pressure, but I seem to get a slightly hotter "full throttle" burn from my other, new NOVA adapted to the Trangia. I do not know what jet is in the Trangia multifuel or if it is smaller, to detune the burner somewhat. Anyway, 5 minutes 30 seconds to boil 1 litre of cold water is not bad at all.
    20191115_182436.jpg

Burning hot inside the Trangia 25
    20191115_182504.jpg

I then switched the flame plate for the Dawg-a-nova. Then there was silence. And even lower simmer. And a cheese sandwich that fried for a long time to achieve that colour. To me, the fine tuning of the flame that I get with this combination is very useful.

20191115_183756.jpg 20191116_134940.jpg

I plan on packing this original Trangia multifuel in my Trangia 27 that I use for solo trips and trips with just one of my sons. Its perfect for 1-2 people. Its a fully pimped Trangia set with the plastic multi disc and bag/cover. I also pack three saucepans in it, one "non stick", one duossal and one from the Trangia mini that fits perfectly inside the duossal saucepan. The mini saucepan I use only for boiling water, instead of a kettle. This enables me to pack the Trangia multifuel, a lighter, a small bottle of meths and the handle inside the mini saucepan and pack the whole thing like a with the regular spirit burner. Heavy, but compact.

20191116_003110.jpg 20191116_003028.jpg 20191116_003434.jpg

Total weight, including a full fuel bottle with pump, is 1874 gram. With this I can cook any meal for up to two people, in any weather.
    20191116_003209.jpg

At last, I had to try the Trangia multifuel in the Trangia triangle as well, just to check that I also have the option of a "lightweight" set up, the burner in a small bag with the Triangle and full bottle of fuel, including the pump weighs just shy of 1 kilo, 998 grams.

20191115_233152.jpg 20191115_233641.jpg

Hope someone here will enjoy this little presentation of a new, neoclassic campstove. If anyone has some clues to narrow down the actual year of manufacture I would be grateful. I will put some other pictures of it in the gallery, if anyone is curious about certain details or features I will try to answer any questions.

Kind regards
    Tron

2. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

Tron, you have a very nice set up there. Hard to beat. Brad

3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Excellent post.
    I do like my set.

4. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Tron, you are a very lucky person to find an original NOS Trangia Multifuel burner. Congratulations :thumbup:

Excellent post. :clap:

5. Retro Camper

Retro Camper Subscriber

A really great find Tron. I used to have a modern X2 but was disappointed with its performance and sold it. I now have an old Nova I am looking forward to putting in my Trangia. A couple of things I have noted which help to date your stove to the later Swedish made model are the two blue O rings (a different size black pair are in the earlier stove) and the hinged burner plate (earlier ones are loose). I imagine @Staffan Rönn will be able to help out on this one. I'd be interested to know if the jet is a smaller size than the regular Nova. I checked at the weekend whether the weight of the Nova in a 27 Trangia is different from a Nova on its legs in a windfoil and the difference is only 50g, which I think is worth it for the superior wind protection in a Trangia.

6. Staffan Rönn

Staffan Rönn SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi all,
    I can confirm the hinged burner plate was introduced some time in 2006. But there were no deliveries of stove sets to Trangia in 2006, so this one must be from either 2007 or 2008 deliveries. I can also confirm that the jet was always the same size.
    BR/Staffan

7. Tron

Tron Subscriber

Thank you for all the positive and interesting comments.
    @Staffan Rönn, really interesting information about deliveries to Trangia and confirmation that the burner has a standard Nova jet. I should have guessed so much, not ever seeing an alternative jet for the Nova for sale anywhere. So, my stove is made either in 2007 or 2008, that is closer to a date of manufacture than I was expecting to get, and certainly close enough.

This is what I have found as well, and I could not agree more. The Trangia base is also wonderfully easy to place when outside, no need to find a flat rock or similar to place the stove, it can be put almost anywhere and remains stable.

Kind regards
    Tron