TRANGIA No28

Discussion in 'Trangia' started by teletim, Nov 2, 2011.

1. teletim

Handy Outfit for one ,Ideal for brews and rehydrating food.

1320258390-IMG_T28_A_opt.jpg 1320258406-T28_B_opt.jpg 1320258420-T28_C_opt.jpg 1320258440-T28_D_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. hikin_jim

Nice little kit. How much does it weigh?

It seems the only thing missing is a windscreen, yes? I suppose some doubled (or quadrupled) aluminum foil would suffice.

HJ

3. teletim

Sorry Jim no idea of the weight, I seem to be strong enough to carry it ;)
    Cheers Tim

4. itchy

:lol: :lol:

You're a beast -- look at the bench sagging under the weight of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  5. nzmike

Good unit. Mine's nearly identical, only a non stick lid's worth of difference. I quite like it, but it really REALLY needs an windscreen of some sort if you are out and about. That said, it's the one I usually take fishing since a starting with a full burner will do at least 2 (more like 3 ) Ramens or equvalent. A couple of years back I took a mate fishing up the Ngaruroro (say nah-roar) on a sunny autumn day, that, once we were a solid hour's walk away from the car and in the heart of the nice fishing turned into drizzle mixed with sleet :-({|= The fish were still on the go, though, I got several 12"ers and solidly frozen. In an abondoned Water Board hut the T28 provided Ramen and instant coffee like a champ. I can still see my bud trying to eat red hot ramen through chattering teeth and mumbling about how he had thought flyfishing was a sunday sport for old men. :mrgreen: Well, it was sunday, anyhow...

6. hikin_jim

:lol: :lol:

Very good, Tim, you got me on that one. :lol:

Looks like a nice compact kit. I saw your windscreen arrangement in your Lancashire to Yorkshire walk post. Looks solid (even if it isn't a Clikstand). ;)

HJ

7. hikin_jim

:lol:

Everyone on the forum is in rare form today I see. :lol:

HJ

8. anlrolfe

anlrolfe Subscriber

Got one and like it.

Found these specs for any of the ounce counters interested.

Includes: alcohol burner, 0.8-liter aluminum pot, wind shield, pot lifter and nonstick fry pan that doubles as a lid

Weight specification for burner and windscreen only (5.75 oz.). Pot weighs additional 3.3 oz. Fry Pan/lid weighs 2.43 oz. Pot lifter weights 0.7 oz.

I don't think this will "break your back"

I'd suggest adding a piece of Aluminum foil or heavier tooling foil to improve the effectiveness of the OEM "wind screen".

http://www.rei.com/product/657906/trangia-mini-trangia-28-t-backpacking-stove

For a solo hiker it is great. Simple, rugged and reliable.

AR

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  9. hikin_jim

About 3/4 of a pound all told (~1/3 kg). Not bad.

HJ

10. teletim

Thanks Anlrolfe for digging out the specs.

Just got one of these windshields Jim which closes around the pot snugly,however things get rather hot,the meths boils up quickly the grass catches fire however you do get a very fast boil,do you get a lot of heat build up with the Calandra Cone and Click stand?

1320309920-IMG_2426_opt.jpg

1320309988-IMG_2429__1__opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  11. hikin_jim

Hi, Tim,

I know exactly what you're talking about. So much heat gets built up inside the windscreen that the meths boils like mad causing even more vigorous boiling -- a thermal feedback loop. Generally you'll get faster boil times, but your fuel economy will go out the proverbial window.

I have not had this happen with the Caldera Cone. The Caldera's 12-10 stove, based on comments from company owner Rand Lindsly, is tuned so as to not have such a runaway thermal feedback loop happen. I've never tried my Caldera Cone in really hot weather with pure methanol (methanol has a bad reputation for runaway thermal feedback; meths does not). I'll have to try it some time.

With the Clikstand, I have not encountered runaway thermal feedback, but again I have not run it with pure methanol in hot weather.

It does sound like you're windscreen is quite effective!

HJ

12. Ridge

Ridge United States Subscriber

Hi Jim,
    Interesting comments about pure methanol vs. meths. Just to enlighten me though, which is which? What brand of "meths" do you use? I've been using HEET (yellow bottle) forever, as it's the easiest fuel to find around here, but at times I wish it didn't burn quite so vigorously in my mini Trangia.

Regards,
    Ridge

13. hikin_jim

Ridge,

Generally, there are three types of alcohol:
    ethanol (ethyl alcohol)
    methanol (methyl alcohol)
    isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol)

Ethanol ("grain" alcohol) is what you get if you buy beer, wine, liquor, etc. It's not really in stove concentration in most alcoholic drinks, although if you buy something like 190 proof Everclear, it will work very well as a stove fuel.

Methanol ("wood" alcohol) is what you get if you buy HEET in the yellow bottle.

Isopropanol is what you get if you buy "rubbing alcohol" or HEET in the red bottle.

Of the three types of alcohol, ethanol generally makes the best stove fuel. It has good heat content per gram, burns reasonably cleanly, and isn't overly toxic. Methanol isn't a bad fuel, but it has less heat per gram and is fairly toxic. Isopropanol is a smokey mess when burned and makes a poor stove fuel.

As I said, unadulterated ethanol is the same stuff as in liquor. Governments typically tax liquor. In order to avoid liquor tax, the ethanol is "denatured" (rendered undrinkable) by adding something to the ethanol. The general name for ethanol with something added to render it undrinkable is "denatured alcohol".

Outside the United States, methanol is a common denaturing agent. Ethanol denatured by methanol is often called "methylated spirits" which, depending on what country you live in, is called "meths" or "metho" for short. Frequently, a dye, typically purple, is added to make it obvious that the alcohol is not intended for consumption.

In the United States, there isn't any regulation of what they can use as to denature the ethanol, and a variety of substances are used. In some cases the denatured alcohol is actually more denaturing agent than alcohol. :roll:

Methanol is never suitable for drinking, so there is no need to "denature" methanol.

So, summary:
    -Ethanol is a good stove fuel but since it can be imbibed as a liquor it is typically denatured (rendered undrinkable) before it is sold for fuel or other purposes.
    -"Meths" (or "metho") is one form of denatured alcohol.
    -Methanol is a different type of alcohol than ethanol and is a decent stove fuel but generally not quite as good as ethanol except in cold weather where methanol's higher vapor pressure facilitates combustion.

Hope that helps,

HJ

14. hikin_jim

I took the above, expanded it a bit, and hopefully added some clarity. We'll see about that.

Anyway, here it is: What is "Meths?"

HJ

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  15. Primus 96

Primus 96 Subscriber

When did the Mini Trangia/Trangia #28 originate?
    I have seen one on-line that has plain pots, no non-stick coating and the pot-support pressing was in smooth finished metal. The burner had the impressed 'T' in the base.

Trangia were onto a winner with the idea of a basic stove with no moving parts & needing no pressurised fuel reservoir. The company was already a established maker of pots and pans, wasn't it?
    A Trangia storm cooker is not unlike a adapted chafing dish. Makes me wonder it the factory made those too before the storm cooker.