Trangia on the news

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Christer Carlsson, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Moderator SotM Winner

Trangia was on the news today because they are on an extreme production for this part of the year.
    All this because they want to have all orders to their British customers shipped out before the event of a possible hard Brexit, and the following increased duties.
    Not much news really, but it was interesting that they choose Trangia as an example.
    Oh, well... perhaps not that strange. Britain is their second largest export market, just after Japan.

The news are in Swedish, and I'm not even sure you can see it abroad, but if you can see it, there's a clip from the factory showing some steps in the production line of this very small and manual company.
    Just click the clip at the top of this article.

PS. I have seen so many links posted here from e.g. British news that only are visible for the domestic public. If the case is the same here, let me know, and I will remove the post. DS.

2. nmp

nmp United Kingdom Subscriber

3. Hazet

Translated to English text from the article:

Ökad produktion av Trangiakök i Trångsviken inför eventuell brexit

Increased production of Trangiakök in Trångsviken before possible brexit
    published today 12.03
    The production of storm kitchens at the company Trangia in Jämtland Trångsviken reaches record levels for this time of year. This is due to the risk of Britain crashing out of the EU in a severe Brexit. Staff work overtime to deliver before 31 October.

The concept of the storm kitchen in aluminum for outdoor use has hardly changed since the start of the 50s and the entire production takes place in the factory in Trångsviken.

With the UK as the third largest market after Japan and Sweden, Brexit is a cloud of concern and is now fully delivered before a possible crash out of the EU.

- Together with our distributor, we have set up a plan where we send extra goods, we do not want to risk that we get goods that are stuck in customs for example, says Magnus Rydell, CEO of Trangia.

Some concern
    It is mainly scouts in the UK who want the Trangia kitchen, and in order to fulfill the delivery of the orders that lie ahead, the production is currently going for high pressure and the staff are working overtime.

The production rate corresponds to that which occurs during the summer when it is high season. What then happens after a possible Brexit is unclear at present, which causes some concern in Trångsviken.

"Be Prepared"
    - It is clear that it is difficult when you do not know what applies, if there is an extra workload for us with customs and export documents. But right now we can do nothing but be prepared and send some extra, so we'll see if it will be a Brexit or not, says Magnus Rydell.

4. Christer Carlsson

Thanks Nick!
    Then it can remain.:)

5. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin Subscriber

Thanks Christer! To cheer myself up after a full year of not being able to backpack I just bought their Jubilee edition 27 & an EVA case to go with it from their webshop. Interesting the UK is the 3rd biggest market especially as the distributor doesn't sell Trangia's full range. I guess it's the youth groups that are the biggest customers so not so interested in the other products.

Maybe the 'Muggs' will come back into production post Brexit!

6. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Webshop use in US would be nice.

7. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin Subscriber

It would be interesting to see how much bigger the US market is now compared to 20 years ago. My forum 'handle' originated from my early days on the internet on US backpacking forums often defending the Trangia storm-cooker.

8. dwarfnebula

dwarfnebula United States Subscriber

I’ve never seen a used Trangia in the wild myself. I’ve pulled 3 Sigg tourists though. A few local shops sell the mini Trangia. I have a Duossal 25 I got online and a friend has a 27 his dad brought back from Germany-those are the only storm cookers I’ve ever seen in person.

Americans are impatient, canister gas dominates. The only people I see using alcohol stoves are pyros like ourselves, gram weenies and contrarians. I sure like my T25 though, it’s a fine cooker. Sensible, efficient design and quiet too! I’ve got 2 teenage boys and I work in a mechanic shop, silence is a rare commodity in my life.

9. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

May be true; pyros and contrarians if so; steaks not weenies:

[​IMG]

10. dwarfnebula

dwarfnebula United States Subscriber

AF824A97-6125-45B8-94A0-F3FB8A796811.jpeg
    Technically they’re bratwurst. Just to stick with the contrarian theme.

11. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

I sometimes go on longer canoe trips, into the BWCA, and even in a group I carry my Mini Trangia. It’s Haggis proof, even in Northeastern Minnesota winters. Herself prefers the Trangia 27 and the 25 to any sort of gas,,, bottled or otherwise.

I’ve never attempted to carry the larger Trangia stoves into the Quiet Places, but there’s no reason they wouldn’t be a good choice when traveling by boat or canoe.

The old hippie in me really likes the renewable resource aspect of alcohol. I’m certain this is also a factor for many younger folk who prefer alcohol stoves... Aside from all else, Trangia products, from the stand point of a user, just seem well thought out...

12. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I was too young to be a real hippy, but I am a wannabee.

When I share an old stove at a camp it is all eyes on it, and they love it.

13. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

I was old enough to be a hippie, but wasn't one. Was a fraternity boy at Cal Berkeley in 1966-67, then married at 19. That took care of any hippiness...or hipness, for that matter....

14. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

In the '70s and '80s the only Trangias I ever saw in the US were the bare burner with the "Westwind" pot stand (which I believe was not made by Trangia). These are not a viable wilderness stove, at least once you approach 10,000' elevation.

I remember reading lightweight backpacking Q&A articles (in those days before blogs) where people occasionally asked about Trangias. These were uniformly not recommended by the article authors. I can understand this view given what was available, but wish they had done a bit more research.

....Arch

15. Christer Carlsson

I am no Trangia user myself, but my cousin is.
    He used to have the spiritburner, but some years ago on a hike in the high mountains he got converted to butane/propane, so now that's all he use with his kit.
    I must say that I understand him. It's really practical, and the burner is so much easier to get on a really low power, which we actually used as late as yesterday :lol:
    We are in the middle of moose hunting season here, and I am in the forest the entire week.
    Yesterday I went down to his stand where he just made some roughly put together bread on the non-stick pan.
    Apparently (his experience) it's much easier to do this with the LPG burner than with the spiritburner.
    Delicious, either way :content:
    Freshly baked bread, even if crappy looking, on a raw october morning in the woods with a hot cup of coffee is still better than breakfast at the canteen at work.

I'm not so familiar with Trangia myself.
    Is it a 27 he use?

DSC_1817.JPG _20191016_081348.JPG

16. Odd

I think so. A 27-4 + GB74 burner, it seems
    /Odd

17. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

I carried a 25 with me for a four day hike with my brother. For two days we ate sausage and cabbage before reverting to instant noodle dishes and foil wrapped tuna. I was still able to go out about 30 lb total pack. I can live with that. Brad

18. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

The only real weight to the Trangia kit is the brass burner.

19. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Someone enlightened me that the burner is one of the lightest items.
    I meant that the brass is the heaviest metal. An aluminum alcohol burner would lighten the kit some. But, that would lose all of the classiness.

20. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

Interesting idea, though. I wonder why Trangia has chosen brass and not aluminum. Not that I could tell the difference if hidden in my pack. Brad