Trangia/Svea

Discussion in 'Other brands' started by t-guy, Apr 11, 2012.

1. t-guy

Hi all, first post. I have a stove I can't identify. I'm new to spirit burners, but fell in love with the concept in searching for small, lightweight, multifuel, occasional use stove.

I have enjoyed learning a lot here, and seeing all the cool stoves that you guys have.

I went looking, and found this miz-spelt as SEVA on Evilbay. Some bad cell phone pics. Mods, please modify or move as needed...

After I learned more about Trangia, I realized that the burner set in the upper windscreen was unusual, as well as the hole pattern, and "hourglass" configuration. There are holes equally all around it, not just on one side.

1334107490-tg1.jpg

This is the top and bottom windscreens. I am a little confused, because there is no pot-stand to flip up, like most have.

1334107715-tg2.jpg

There is not a sign of a logo, or a single word on it anywhere, except the burner (Svea).

1334107828-tg3.jpg

It has two pots, that can nest, or stack. It has what looks like an original leather strap. It is still in one piece, but there is one spot where it is hanging by about half of it. No logos or stamps on the strap.

1334107909-tg4.jpg

This is the outside of the pan. Everything is shiny except the outside of this. Beside the strap mark is the remains of something adhesive. Did these ever have labels on them, or is it the result of Grandpa's labeling along the line (these came from an estate sale in Ohio)?

1334107971-tg5.jpg

The burner is unusual, to my limited knowledge as well. It has 16 holes (brass, of course) and a simmer ring that shows no signs of ever being hinged like some were, or have a rivet for the sliding door. I (think) I have read that the military ones were slightly larger, but have not measured this one.

1334108160-t6.jpg

Here is the frying pan/cover. It and one of the pots have a few visible dings in it, no sign of food residue anywhere.

1334108700-t7.jpg

So, there you have it, gentle stove-mongers. What the heck is this thing? Is it an obscure 3rd-party stove setup for a basic Svea burner? Is this an oddball Svea stove? I put it in the Trangia section because most of it "sort of looks" like Trangias, but again, I am a newb of the first degree.

I got this to use, but I am reluctant to soot up something so old, with so little use. The burner shows use, but the rest of the set doesn't seem to have much more than storage wear.

I paged through about one million six hundred thousand pics on images.google.com and only found one like it. I emailed that person, have not heard back yet. This is either something fairly rare, or something so common that people didn't bother to take pics of it...

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. RonPH

Welcome tguy. The set up on the first picture is wrong. The taller pan should be at the top where the pot will sit. Nice acquisition it will serve you well. You wont find a better cook kit than that.

Ron

3. hikin_jim

Yes, Ron,

But what is it? It looks like a Purple Flame.

HJ

4. Chef BC

Jim, Do you mean the object in the 5th photo? Residue from a long deteriorated price tag?
    TG, I do agree this is a nice kit and something I would agressively snipe on the bay. In fact a Swede mil kit might even take a second choice to the right one of these for me. My only suggestion is to page through the reference gallery here and then get outside with it. Have fun be safe.
    Chef BC

5. nzmike

Welcome aboard the Ship of Pyros(Tm), T-Guy. It's a Svea copy of a Trangia, sort of. It's a common and very successful pattern, I have one just like it, in my case an Optimus 77a, tho the same company later sold it as the 91Tor, different only in the holes around the burner holder. Ledmark make a very cheap copy that is a tad flimsier (thinner material) but otherwise near enough identical. I like mine alot, it's the cook set I usually take, very usable, silent and not fussed by cross breeze.

The standard upgrade is to replace the burner and simmer ring with a genuine Trangia alcohol burner (they only do one size and it's an dead fit) and simmer ring that actually works. The one you have will work fine at full speed if you just need a water boiler or fryer, but they don't simmer worth the mention, the T burner will. I like to cook proper food and a good simmer is well useful.

There is no pot flip out holders, the pots sit on the top of the windscreen, the taller of the pieces. The burner sits like you have it, but the other way up on top of the lower piece. It'll suddenly make sense. You can make curry or pasta sauce in the frypan, put one of the pots over it to cover, then cook rice or pasta with the frypan on top of the pot you are cooking in. Excellent system. Run it on meths or yellow bottle Heet depending on which part of the world you live in. Rubbing alcohol is no good.

You've lucked in to a good cook set, try it, you'll see. :mrgreen:

6. pysen78

pysen78 Subscriber

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your find!

This set or variations of it have been in service in the swedish army as a "rangers" mess kit for decades. Several companies have manufactured it through the years. Some are marked, some aren't.
    The burner points to the whole kit being Svea. Aren't there any markings on the pot gripper?

These are fairly common in swedish flea markets, but for obvious reasons not as common in other countries. The Ledmark kit mentioned is made of thinner gague aluminium and not as rugged.

For reference, look here:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/15176

They've also been available to the cvilian market. Look here:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/7948

I haven't seen exactly a burner like yours, but I'm pretty sure the simmer ring is supposed to have a spring clip to attach it to the burner.

If you want to replace your burner with a common "trangia sized" burner, you'll have to come up with a simple adaptor, since the diameter of your current burner is larger.

Once again, congrats on a nice find!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  7. davidcolter

This is my very used ex-army in action, it works well: [media=youtube]2cjIZ_-mV0Y[/media]

One thing I have found is that you should wait until the burner has 'bloomed' and is burning from the jets before putting a pan on, otherwise the burner may go out.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  8. itchy

A very nice kit.

To use it --
    First picture -- remove burner, flip the entire stand over and it will be right-side-up. Then replace burner. Pots and cover will now fit properly.

The pots and cover can be used in a variety of combinations.

9. t-guy

Hi all, back from several days away. I am a musician, and played at a blues festival at Clarksdale, MS last week.

Having a good time with the stove. Yes, in preparing to actually light it, the proper configuration of windscreens was obvious.

Thanks for the info on close to what it is. Once I had some names, it's easier to find out more about it. Still don't know it's age, but the leather strap appears to be dry-rotted in one spot. No markings or logos on the handle, or any place that I can see.

I have fired it up a couple of times, fixed some coffee and MH meal at home. Is the Trangia burner enough of a better one, that I should try to use one with this? The simmer ring on this isn't much, no adjustment at all.

10. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Maybe one of Swedish members will know for sure but I'm pretty certain the SVEA on this burner is not related to the SVEA brand of stove from Max Sievert. I think this is a milspec Purple Flame

11. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

12. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

You suit that deerstalker hat Sherlock. ;)

13. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

It's my keen sense of the obvious... sometimes I only need hitting on the head ONE time! ;) :roll: :shock: :lol:

14. t-guy

re-hi, I have been using the stove recently, it is indeed good stuff. Thank you all for info.

In the Midwest USA, I am routinely bringing about 2 cups of water to a rolling boil in 8 minutes. This is outside, with an ambient temp of 40deg F. The water is my tap water, from a deep well, it is probably 50deg F to start with.

I am using yellow Heet, no real meths available in my area. The burner blooms outdoors (with light winds, under 10mph) in about one minute.

I found a pic of a stove that looks like this, credit goes to the original scanner of the book.

1352957978-stormcooker2_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  15. scoutgogar

It is the same design as a Swedish military kitchen. The burner however is a little unusual as the mil. spec. burners never has a simmering lid of any kind issued.
    I believe the design is originally an Esbit stove; I have seen the exact same design in 60's camping kits from Esbit.

16. Lennart F Sweden

This is obviously a civilian version of the 1960's "enmanskök, jägare" - identic with early Optimus 88 - technical difference from the military ones is simmer ring and abscence of the quick-cap with bayonet thread. Your burner can be found in some military cookers but without simmer ring.
    The Esbit is smaller but appeared earlier and was for sure used as pattern for the military specification - enlarged and modified Esbit 27 were used for tests in the 1950's.