Trangia Winter Adapter in the Summer

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Retro Camper, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Retro Camper

Retro Camper Subscriber

Inspired by this thread I thought I'd try out my winter adapter on a Trangia 27 to see how fast it would speed up boiling time. I'd rather overlooked the fact that it is summer and, after going through the awkward process of fitting and lighting the adapter and stove, I popped to the loo. I came back in less than 5 minutes to find the water nearly boiling and a big flame melting the plastic on the handle of the kettle and getting started on the knob on the lid.

My advice from this episode is don't use a winter adapter in the summer and ideally use a pan, not a kettle. Incidentally I wonder how much confusion the Swedish word for pan (kittel) and the english word kettle has caused over the years. I noticed in the old Trangia catalogues that the forerunner of today's Trangia kettle, referred to as a kaffepanna (coffee pot), is described as an "English type".

2. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

I use my mini in winter,,, Northeastern Minnesota winter,,, doing something similar… No reason it wouldn’t work as well in summer and, as you’ve described, be a real time saver…

For this fellow,,, it’s fiberglass,,, for me, it’s carbon fiber tucked around my burner and soaked in alcohol…

CE1B68AD-DC77-4FA0-A84A-D6DC2FC21C86.jpeg 62535FCB-4404-4863-BEE4-3A29EE017702.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  3. Retro Camper

Retro Camper Subscriber

Having that pre-heat makes a remarkable difference!